Punt Gun Powder

You could try giving South Worcester shooting ground a ring. The owner has a punt gun too. And is very knowledgeable on all things shooting. .  I know some years ago he was experimenting with different  loads etc for his own gun. Also is involved  with the perrins owners . And of course runs the shooting ground. Contact details via the website. Probably  an email on there too  . 

IMG_20141223_121956.jpg.0f919631120154f389ca0bef01e05e07.jpg

Jasper. 

Edited by jasper682

W0W that's going to be one heck of an expensive bang. The black p0wder is going to be £10 not counting the shot. Also why suggest Bismuth? The gun will only ever be shot as a demo so why not lead? I load a lot of 12g black powder and a quarter pound of the stuff going off is frightening. Good luck with it I would love to be there for a firing. Grease monkey on this forum has one and shoots it.

Whoops my mistake. I was sure they were illegal to shoot at live quarry in the uk . Over a pound of Bismuth and £10 worth of black is going to make those ducks expensive eating. I did ask at my local clay ground, which has lakes, if a friend of mine could shoot his punt gun there and the owner nearly had a fit.

I quite understand DUNKS. However compared to forty or fifty quid for a reared pheasant ?  The real point is that once these old ways to make a living have gone they will be gone forever : eel picking, butt dragging, dredging oysters under sail, catching birds with a bat-fowling net, working a decoy, etc. Most of what you can find on the internet about big guns and their use is nonsense as folk do not realise it is a difficult and tedious stalking operation. Taking the shot if successful is just a small part of what happens.

5 minutes ago, Andy H said:

I don't know where you are but if you are near the south coast ( Brighton), Try here http://www.gun-powder.co.uk/blackpowder.html

They sell BP at £14-99 for 500g of coarse .

Thats an amazing price Mr Krank wants £45 for 500g

Just now, DUNKS said:

Thats an amazing price Mr Krank wants £45 for 500g

Edited by DUNKS

Just now, DUNKS said:

Thats an amazing price Mr Krank wants £45 for 500ml

Yes and that is not Swiss It's a rebranded pyro powder they sell under the Krank name , It makes it only £10-00 a kg cheaper than the top grade Swiss BP.

8 hours ago, Pushandpull said:

Talk to Peter Starley at blackpowder.co.uk. Non-toxic shot : claygame.co.uk. Oakum wadding : classic-marine.co.uk. 

Do a bit of reading e.g. "Wildfowling" by Christopher Dalgety.

Thank you... I have tons of bismuth and ITX. We don't have oakum here...

3 hours ago, Royal Greener said:

Thank you... I have tons of bismuth and ITX. We don't have oakum here...

use plumbers hemp tow, hemp pipe thread sealer soaked in wax oil same stuff and a lot cheaper !

Edited by dainty duck

Is/Are there situations where there are numbers of duck available to actually shoot at.?  Back like in victorian times..?  I personally don't think that I have ever seen water with the amount of duck roosting other than protected wildlife lakes to make shooting a weapon such as this viable.  This is akin to shooting a first worldwide battleship main armament to start the 100 yard sprint at the local primary school. Fun to do but really.?

7 hours ago, Pushandpull said:

Minky, the O.P. is in the USA and is trying to revive an interesting antique. As for your other remarks, please just realise that almost everything that you see on the internet about punting is nonsense.

Hang on a minute. please reconsider your post.   Where is there any mention in the posts above of the OP being in the USA.?  AND  where have I remarked about anything to do with the internet.?  I've been shooting and wild fowling for many years to know that punt gunning is setting up the punt and gun to shoot at a LOT of duck generally in a pack.  AND this was generally done to shoot a LOT of wildfowl to send to market.  It has died out because it wasn't viable as a job.  Areas of quiet water aren't there like there were.  It's the same as duck decoys.  There's only about four or five left and they are mainly only used for research purposes to tag birds and check for avian flue and stuff like that.