Night vision for ratting

kingsy18

Hello, if you want something basic get something like in the above post but your need a scope with side focus or one with AO and best with a low magnification like 3 or 4, The 007 just clips on the rear of scope and easy to set up, it has an on board I/R torch, for short range go 12mm or 100/150 yards 16mm is better, then you can still use the scope in daylight, a new Pard 007 is around £300 or less, a good used one can be around £200, What air rifle are you using ??

22 minutes ago, Nublue 22 said:

I have a pard 008, it's good, but thermal is the only way forward, I say this as you can't sit there all night looking through a pard. Good luck. 

🤣 Seriously?

Any cheap nv is good enough for rats. You need a spotter with any of it so you are not swinging the rifle about. 

8 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, if you want something basic get something like in the above post but your need a scope with side focus or one with AO and best with a low magnification like 3 or 4, The 007 just clips on the rear of scope and easy to set up, it has an on board I/R torch, for short range go 12mm or 100/150 yards 16mm is better, then you can still use the scope in daylight, a new Pard 007 is around £300 or less, a good used one can be around £200, What air rifle are you using ?

Will be looking for a PCP as well as night vision,going round in circles on what PCP to get🥕🤭

1 hour ago, kingsy18 said:

Will be looking for a PCP as well as night vision,going round in circles on what PCP to get🥕🤭

Hello, it will all depend on your budget and how you will fill the PCP rifle, if you want to buy new or a good used PCP, also budget for a S/F or AO scope if you decide on a rear add on N/V , if this is you first dip into ratting pest control ?, is this on a farm or ??, rats in a back garden is easily done with a red torch, a farm or similar permission would need a better kit, another thought is using a tripod, that for me is essential as for many others ratting, you do not need to spend a lot when starting off shooting, i just bought a Base Optics Quick Sticks Tripod from Optics Warehouse £40 plus post, well good enough for me and have been ratting many years, take a  look at the videos on here by Simon and other PW members, it should give you an idea of how best to shoot rats, shot distance, back stop, night shooting, if you only getting a sub 12 ft llb PCP  go for a 22, keep us posted how your getting on 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

9 hours ago, oowee said:

🤣 Seriously?

Any cheap nv is good enough for rats. You need a spotter with any of it so you are not swinging the rifle about. 

This     Any addon is good enough for rats but a spotter is essential as oowee said so you don't go around swinging the rifle about scanning 

For rats and the tree variety out to 30yds an AA S200 will be fine, second hand? 

which is better for the longer range 177 or 22

If that was meant to be a question, I'm sure that hasn't been asked before,,,, ever,,,, so, looking forward to the replies 😆🥳🤣

5 minutes ago, JKD said:

If that was meant to be a question, I'm sure that hasn't been asked before,,,, ever,,,, so, looking forward to the replies 😆🥳🤣

I am sure that nobody has an opinion on it.

Been using a photon xt on a .22 ultra for a good few years and had hundreds. The photon is now on a Ixia in .177 but not had it out yet (health issues) but I've no doubt it will be just as effective.

Some will scoff at "old tech" but it's for shooting rats under 50 yards so I don't need all the new and expensive gear. It works, that's all I need it to do. 

I did look at the add ons with the screen but they shed a lot of light imo and that's a bit contra intuitive for me.

14 hours ago, oowee said:

🤣 Seriously?

You would shoot double / triple the amount with thermal 

Up with the rifle = no searching - shoot and move on - awesome for rats 

Hello, 50 yards !!!!!, ????, your be using a sub 12 ft llb air rifle, i only shot my FAC 22 to 60/70 yards max

58 minutes ago, manthing said:

Been using a photon xt on a .22 ultra for a good few years and had hundreds. The photon is now on a Ixia in .177 but not had it out yet (health issues) but I've no doubt it will be just as effective.

Some will scoff at "old tech" but it's for shooting rats under 50 yards so I don't need all the new and expensive gear. It works, that's all I need it to do. 

I did look at the add ons with the screen but they shed a lot of light imo and that's a bit contra intuitive for me.

Hello, forget old tech, i am still using a MK 1 5x42 Photon

2 hours ago, jall25 said:

You would shoot double / triple the amount with thermal 

Up with the rifle = no searching - shoot and move on - awesome for rats 

I don't like to point a rifle at anything I am not intending to shoot. 

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, 50 yards !!!!!, ????, your be using a sub 12 ft llb air rifle, i only shot my FAC 22 to 60/70 yards max

Hello, forget old tech, i am still using a MK 1 5x42 Photon

That should have been a 4, but fat fingers and working on a phone so 🤷 

I have 2. A 5x42mm that's been extremed that I used to use with a bigger lens, that will go on something fac as and when, and a 6x50mm that's on for use on the sub 12ftlbs air.

4 hours ago, oowee said:

I don't like to point a rifle at anything I am not intending to shoot. 

What do you mean ?

Me neither - have you used thermal ?

With NV - however good it is - its hard to pick out the rat sometimes