The perfect wind

I’ve been watching this block of rape for some time waiting for a good windy day and yesterday it was perfect. I’ve shot this rape a few times this winter but it got shot hard by a bloke in December/January who sometimes shows up out of the wood work, normally in the summer on the stubbles. He was at them 2/3 days a week shooting small bags and it made the birds ridiculously spooky so much so I stopped even looking at it. This bloke hasn’t been about since the end of January and after being informed by a friend who works on the farm that the birds were back i had a day at them. There is a large block of clover on the other side of the road to this rape and quite often the birds disappear over there when you start shooting but the wind was blowing straight towards it and it kept the birds moving all day. I was set up and in the hide for 11.30 and it was pretty non stop until 3 when they just stopped flighting. I gave it until 4 and after a long pick up I finished with 214 pigeon

6E533457-A587-4632-94DD-1062599C905D.jpeg

An excellent bag  BB , not for the faint hearted if you had to lug that lot off a wet ole field and did the quad bike come into play , some of the rape around these parts are now coming into flower and at long last the tractors are now getting back on the fields .   MM 

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

An excellent bag  BB , not for the faint hearted if you had to lug that lot off a wet ole field and did the quad bike come into play , some of the rape around these parts are now coming into flower and at long last the tractors are now getting back on the fields .   MM 

I’m guessing he may not have had to carry too far, but as you say flying solo that’s a lot of work to do at the end of the session what with picking, carrying off then sorting out at the other end. 
i’d happily take on such work if there were sufficient pigeons to shoot! 
Whilst I’ve shot over 200 at other times of the year, winter rape is the one crop pigeons just never seem to hit in numbers here no matter how hard I look, I’ve never managed over 100 even. 
Cracking bag, you always do well through the winter. 

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

I drove my truck up the tramlines luckily otherwise I’d of been there for a long time 

1 minute ago, bunny_blaster said:

I drove my truck up the tramlines luckily otherwise I’d of been there for a long time 

Well done Ben , moving that lot a fair distance would had took some doing and it was a good job the ground have now dried out a bit for you to drive down the tramlines , we have had a cold Easterly wind for most of last week and although fairly cold it have dried out a lot of the wet fields  , thankfully the sprayer can now get on with some work and some drilling should be done next week , again weather permitting .