Not a big bag, but a great couple of hours out.

It was my usual weekly trip to my little wood yesterday in the hope of a few pigeons coming into the trees. This time, however, I decided to take a set and a half of lofting poles with the two- pigeon spreader (first photo) very kindly and expertly made by Tightchoke (thanks again Dave).

My plan was to try to attract any pigeons coming to my part of the wood as experience and previous reconnaissance had shown that with the days particular wind direction, the pigeons would enter the wood over a broad front.

In setting up, all was going well and pushing the lofting pole sections progressively up through the trees was easy, but I caught one end of the tee bar on a branch which knocked one of the two decoys off. This was nothing to do with the manufacture of the stainless tee bar, but my method of fixing the decoys to the top of the bar.Β 

However, even with just one decoy lofted fairly high up I am convinced that this attracted more pigeons to my part of this small wood and allowed me a few more shots than I would normally have had. My previous short trips out had yielded no more than half a dozen pigeons each time. With the use of the one lofted pigeon I had more shots than usual and returned home with 11 pigeons with one lost. Not a great bag by some posts on this forum but for my short time out I was more than happy.

The immaculately arranged group of pigeons is known locally as a β€˜Kentish Pileβ€™πŸ˜‚

Back to the shed to make a better job of fixing decoy to spreader ready for next time.

Thanks for reading.

OB

IMG_2659.JPG

IMG_4068.JPG

IMG_4069.JPG

Edited by Old Boggy

8 hours ago, ditchman said:

lofted decoys work really well sometimes............i never used them enough....:good:

I agree Ditchie, in the right situation they work very well. I have long since disposed of the normal hanging hook arrangements which can be an absolute pita to put up and retrieve, in favour of just two decoys lofted higher than one set of poles can achieve (hence the 1 1/2 sets). This arrangement can be lofted in just a few minutes and retrieved even quicker.

OB

Excellent bag Chris ,Β  your knowledge of the wind directions in your wood plus the hard work you put in plainly paid dividends , that single Pigeon up in the branches look more realistic than the real thing , I would had gave it a shot and it would have most likely lived to see another day, mind you , my cartridges are not Red casedΒ :lol:.

Hello, Back in the early years of pigeon shooting i often used a set of lofters , These were from Parsons if i remember, as said they worked if the situation was right and a good flight line did bring more success, i was going to make some but it was finding the materials and Ally tube, mine were 6 X 5 ft poles with internal clips, i have not found any today that compares with those Parsons poles, Well Done OBΒ πŸ‘

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

19 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Excellent bag Chris ,Β  your knowledge of the wind directions in your wood plus the hard work you put in plainly paid dividends , that single Pigeon up in the branches look more realistic than the real thing , I would had gave it a shot and it would have most likely lived to see another day, mind you , my cartridges are not Red casedΒ :lol:.

RED is BEST!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one OB πŸ™‚ Do love your "Kentish Pile" pics,,,, class πŸ‘πŸ˜

With only shooting with air, small wooded areas are/were my favourite when after woodies. While waiting, it's amazing the other wildlife you see πŸ˜€