Swallows

Krico woodcock

The first swallows have arrived!! I seen half a dozen this evening at the lake under my house.  Swooping high and low for insects.  Anyone else seen them yet? Its still harsh, hasky March weather,  they have their work cut out. 

Edited by Krico woodcock

Sadly none expected here locally again, diminished numbers to zero over the last 5 years or so. Also applies to swifts and martins. Nesting places modernised and local council more bothered about a bit of carp on old Gladys' smalls than forcing new builds to incorporate spaces where appropriate? See them on occasion over local reservoir feeding up.

How I miss the swifts screaming.

6 minutes ago, old man said:

Sadly none expected here locally again, diminished numbers to zero over the last 5 years or so. Also applies to swifts and martins. Nesting places modernised and local council more bothered about a bit of carp on old Gladys' smalls than forcing new builds to incorporate spaces where appropriate? See them on occasion over local reservoir feeding up.

How I miss the swifts screaming.

^^^^^^^^^^This

March would be very early to see a Swallow around these parts , you do get the odd person say they have seen one but I often wonder if they are mistaken for the Sand or House Marten , I normally see my first one on a warm day between the second and third week in April which won't be long .    MM

Up until the last 2 years. We could have 6 nests on the sides of our house. None these last two years , they tend to not get here  ( southwest Scotland) maybe. End of April.  They are arriving in small numbers  but not building on tne side of my house .

These. Birds fascinate me. The short period  of time they. Are here

build14.JPG

Edited by johnphilip

It would be exceptional to see them here this early. We tend to have a number of summer visitors take up residence in and around our stable yard. Last year they managed to get into and nest in the tack and harness room so a lot of stuff had to be covered in plastic sheeting, anything that wasn’t was covered in droppings etc. Took ages to get it all cleaned up so this year I am laying the law down (again) about keeping the bl**dy door shut!

• 2 weeks later...