AYS 26" ?

Yes from seeing these things over the last near forty plus years the most common length in the 12 bore No4 was probably 28" and after that (at one time when such lengths were popular 26" barrels) with the 12 bore 25" AYA XXV being a thing "of itself" with its Churchill rib. I have seen a few (and presently own one) AYA No4 27" and until last Southam's sale in 2023 owned an AYA No4 in 30".

So they were at one time quite a few about just as at one time 26" over and under Skeet guns were popular. I guess the 26" barrel AYA No4 was inspired by Holland's Brevis and Charles Hellis's similar. I've also seen sidelocks AYA No2 in 26" (less so) and sidelock AYA XXV (more so). Indeed my good friend had both a 26" No2 and a 26" No4 bought new from the Belgrave Gun Company, Leicester in about 1979 or 1980 or so.

What you seldom see unlike Parker Hale and other made in Spain for the British market sidelocks and boxlocks is here in UK any 70cm AYA. I guess if they did make such which 70cm sometimes called "continental length" is 27.5" that ASI didn't import them here?

11 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i had a AYA#2 ...26".............and a AYA boxlock 26"...........i find i like the balance of them..

Yes as also did a friend here in Leicestershire 🙂 👍

Edited by enfieldspares

I have a pair of them - they are good guns and rarther quick. In one sense they are quite unforgiving because if you try and (incorrectly) hold the fore-end instead of the barrels, you struggle to point them with any degree of accuracy.

But yes, I like them - they are good, practical, traditional game guns and not expensive. Good for walked up shooting or traditional driven birds.

I even used one last season to flight duck below the high tide mark.

Edited by PeterHenry

On 03/04/2024 at 21:25, ditchman said:

i had a AYA#2 ...26".............and a AYA boxlock 26"...........i find i like the balance of them..

So did I. I still have the No.2 with 26" barrels. They were standard availability in the 1960's. , 30 " were available to order.

On 06/04/2024 at 12:48, THEINVISIBLESCARECROW said:

Some interesting replies, thanks to all. I didn't realise AYA made 26" in so many of there various models of guns. I'll have to go back & ask questions about it.

As already said, AYAs with 26 inch barrels are far from rare. There are around 28 AYAs, mainly No.4s for sale on Guntrader and that’s just looking at the 12 bores. There are also around 8 or 9 No.2s with 26 inch barrels.

Holts have an AYA 16 bore in their sealed bid auction which is clearly AYAs No.400, similar to a No.4 but with shoulders to the action which I understand was made prior to the No.4 and predominantly for their home market. I used to own one exactly the same and one serial number away so perhaps a batch was made whilst the popularity for shorter barrels was in force.

I really should get a life and stop keep looking at guns for sale as my cabinet and bank balance are not conducive to buying any more guns???.

OB