Red diesel

How do you qualify for using Red Diesel now, I have a few acres of land that I use my tractor on, no road use, would that qualify now, I have been using white but it’s getting expensive to use in my case tractor. I used to buy some off a mate who used a lot of red in his excavator but he has to use white now and pass the cost on.

Thanks

I think you will struggle to qualify.

From 1st April 2022, Crown Oil can only supply red diesel to the following sectors: Commercial boating industry, including fishing and inland water freight industries and passenger ferries. Non-commercial power generation, such as hospitals and off-the-grid households.

1 hour ago, countryman said:

Looking at the form to fill in it does look like I won’t be able to use it, why was  this allowed to go through under so called green issues again when it’s clearly a government cash cow again.

Is it registered with the DVLA for agriculture use?

3 hours ago, Gordon R said:

You hit the nail on the head.

I think that there was also a lot of abuse of red. The police had a purge of our local taxis and found most running red diesel and multiple bar faults. It turned out that someone was just letting anyone with a can have it no questions asked 

As long as you are using the machine for agricultural purposes you are entitled to use red diesel. Making hay? That's agriculture so you'd be fine.

The biggest problem is finding red now that plant hire places have stopped carrying 20l cans because construction equipment can't use it. If you have a tank which can take a minimum 500l delivery by tanker then you're OK...or a friendly local farmer.

12 hours ago, old'un said:

Is it registered with the DVLA for agriculture use?

Yes, but I only use the tractor for grass cutting and general maintenance around the property, it’s not business use just personal on my land. I have used up the last drum of red I had , it’s costing me a lot more in white diesel now to do the same jobs.

31 minutes ago, countryman said:

Yes, but I only use the tractor for grass cutting and general maintenance around the property, it’s not business use just personal on my land. I have used up the last drum of red I had , it’s costing me a lot more in white diesel now to do the same jobs.

As a total townie, when I cut my grass, I pay full fuel tax on the petrol in my mower.

Similarly, when I use my wife's vehicle to get fertiliser for her veggie patch or building materials for maintenance, that too uses full tax fuel.

Why should your situation be different if you are not actually farming?

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, amateur said:

As a total townie, when I cut my grass, I pay full fuel tax on the petrol in my mower.

Similarly, when I use my wife's vehicle to get fertiliser for her veggie patch or building materials for maintenance, that too uses full tax fuel.

Because it’s attitudes like yours that accept that we just get ripped off all the time in this country , I also have considerable more than a veggie patch to tend to.

Edited by countryman

18 hours ago, amateur said:

This ^^^^

I can use it in my boat for heating but not propulsion. I need receipts if I take it to Europe as they are not allowed to use it. 

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

This ^^^^

I can use it in my boat for heating but not propulsion. I need receipts if I take it to Europe as they are not allowed to use it. 

And how much more is it costing you to run your boat on white diesel 

44 minutes ago, countryman said:

Because it’s attitudes like yours that accept that we just get ripped off all the time in this country , I also have considerable more than a veggie patch to tend to.

I don't understand why you think that you are being ripped off.

You admit that you are only using the tractor for non-commercial grass cutting and maintenance. Surely the red diesel concession was to assist farmers, not folk who just happen to live in the country and have some land.

Given the general abuse of the system, isn’t it the rest of us taxpayers who were being ripped off by folk not paying their whack?

When I had a diesel (pre Khan), I used to save money by using recycled vegetable oil, which worked very well.

6 minutes ago, countryman said:

You get a few good helpful replies on here to start with then it’s all down hill

I thought that I offered a helpful suggestion.

Recycled chip shop oil was very cost effective.

29 minutes ago, amateur said:

I thought that I offered a helpful suggestion.

Recycled chip shop oil was very cost effective.

I have a large 4wd case tractor , seeing how much it costs to maintain it I wouldn’t want to risk chip oil even if I could get enough.

13 hours ago, countryman said:

And how much more is it costing you to run your boat on white diesel 

It's a sail boat so fuel is not a big cost. The last fill was around £400 and only 20% was tax free. It saved me around £100.

13 hours ago, countryman said:

I have a large 4wd case tractor , seeing how much it costs to maintain it I wouldn’t want to risk chip oil even if I could get enough.

So you have bigger toys and a larger area to play in, but aren't in agricultural production.

I still don't see why you should dodge tax?

27 minutes ago, amateur said:

How about, all this ridiculous bureaucracy created by the new red diesel rules probably costs more to administer than it makes in revenue?

In fact, at one point HMRC even claimed this themselves when the EU wanted to take away red diesel for pleasure craft.  So the EU took HMRC to the european court...and won!  Costing tax payers millions as the supra-national unaccountable organisation fought with the national unaccountable one.  It was at this point, personally, that I 'checked out' of the EU.

1 hour ago, amateur said:

So you have bigger toys and a larger area to play in, but aren't in agricultural production.

Stick to your little cabbage patch, you have no idea what your talking about

On 21/04/2024 at 22:01, countryman said:

if the tractor is registered for agriculture use and you have all the paperwork, whats stopping you from ordering 500 litres?