Why aren't they being good parents?

My 1st summer in the UK for ages so I'm learning again. Just spent a few hours watching a couple of peas fields to see what is going on and it surprised me. Each field had a few dozen birds on it. When scared either by me or the gas gun they would all jump up into the trees and watch for maybe 15 minutes, then one bird would glide down and the rest would follow. After maybe 10 minutes, most of them would hop back into the trees, then just the odd one or two would go down to feed. Clearly not hungry. But there was no to-and-fro traffic, their entire day seems to be sit in the trees, have a snack, back to the trees, rest and repeat. Should they not be busy rearing a whole bunch of new targets for us? Feeding up like mad then going home to feed the milk to the little ones? I remember lots of traffic in the summer.

I read that some of you have shot young birds but are there going to be enough?

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

It's been like that for maybe last 5 years with crows on my perm. They feed mainly on grain very early or very late, sit in the trees during the day and occasionally snack. No need to feed when it's free and available at the grain silos outside working hours. Crows scare the pigeons to other places so no pigeons. 

Only time it's different is when the farmer ploughs or seeds, we then have a limited window of opportunity that may only be a short few hours.

I can only speak for my 1 perm as my others are now mostly housing estates or unshootable because of the housing estate in the next "field".

5 hours ago, kitchrat said:

My 1st summer in the UK for ages so I'm learning again. Just spent a few hours watching a couple of peas fields to see what is going on and it surprised me. Each field had a few dozen birds on it. When scared either by me or the gas gun they would all jump up into the trees and watch for maybe 15 minutes, then one bird would glide down and the rest would follow. After maybe 10 minutes, most of them would hop back into the trees, then just the odd one or two would go down to feed. Clearly not hungry. But there was no to-and-fro traffic, their entire day seems to be sit in the trees, have a snack, back to the trees, rest and repeat. Should they not be busy rearing a whole bunch of new targets for us? Feeding up like mad then going home to feed the milk to the little ones? I remember lots of traffic in the summer.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

The scenario you describe will not be conducive to shooting a decent bag of pigeons.

I too dislike the term 'targets' as it demeans a sporting quarry.

Edited by JDog

19 hours ago, kitchrat said:

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

You say you spent a few hours watching, what time of day was it? Give it time and there be plenty of movement, dont forget there is other food apart from peas, plus the peak breeding time for pigeons is July but we did see the first young bird in the garden in April.

17 hours ago, jall25 said:

You disrespect your quarry - "targets for us" - sad 

Give it a week and we may get a reply/response. :)

Possibly related but it was discussed earlier this week amongst fellow wildfowlers that there is an unusually high number of mature Mallard ducks sat out roosting on the marsh this year whereas they would normally be inland sat on a nest or raising a brood at this time of the year. I don't think it's been a very good year for the wildlife with it being basically a 4 month long March which has only really warmed up and dried up in the last week or so. 

Also an usual amount of homes locally with wood burners have had them lit during the day in last few weeks where they would have normally been cleaned out and 'packed up' for the summer by this point. It's been a very poor year weather wise so far. 

17 hours ago, JDog said:

The scenario you describe will not be conducive to shooting a decent bag of pigeons.

I too dislike the term 'targets' as it demeans a sporting quarry.

Yes, I'm sorry about the targets, I'm still jetlagged after 15 hours of travelling - poor choice of words.

Talking about adult birds not out on the fields to feed their young, we have a resident pair nesting in one of the conifers and the eggs hatched about two weeks ago, now we have a nature reserve across the road and farm land (mainly corn) not a mile away yet these birds hardly ever leave the surrounding gardens picking up bits from the bird feeders, I have watched them over the last few days and I have seen the pair of them sunning it up on the shed roof for hours, they would drop down have a bit of a feed and a drink from the pond.

You could argue these are town pigeons and never venture far from the gardens but once the corn is ready they will be out on farm land.

This is the second brood from this pair and they have become quite tame, they are happy feeding when we are sat on the patio and look in good condition.

29467244_tamepigeon.jpg.0cda3d81a96d7d72be90703fbaafb6e2.jpg

Edited by old'un

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Talking about adult birds not out on the fields to feed their young, we have a resident pair nesting in one of the conifers and the eggs hatched about two weeks ago, now we have a nature reserve across the road and farm land (mainly corn) not a mile away yet these birds hardly ever leave the surrounding gardens picking up bits from the bird feeders, I have watched them over the last few days and I have seen the pair of them sunning it up on the shed roof for hours, they would drop down have a bit of a feed and a drink from the pond.

You could argue these are town pigeons and never venture far from the gardens but once the corn is ready they will be out on farm land.

This is the second brood from this pair and they have become quite tame, they are happy feeding when we are sat on the patio and look in good condition.

29467244_tamepigeon.jpg.0cda3d81a96d7d72be90703fbaafb6e2.jpg

Yes, I have a pair who come home to roost (literally) in the birch tree outside my bedroom. Again, why are they not home looking after the kids?

Further to the question as to how the breeding season is going, I have just de-breasted my meager harvest of 9 birds for 5 hours of crop protection on the pea field. Not one of them was in milk-producing mode. As to the shooting, there were about 60-70 on the field when I arrived (3.00pm), those that trickled back had a look at my decoy pattern from a safe distance and politely declined the invitation to join in. If anything,they only wanted the middle of the field. It had to be wind and sun on face because of nearby horse paddocks but their lack of enthusiasm was clear. I hate sun on face, not just because it blinds you but everything shows up so well. However, I am fairly sure they weren't seeing me, they just drifted on by and slid off to another field. I was lucky to get the 9, mainly frustration 60-yard shots.

On 23/06/2024 at 11:15, kitchrat said:

Further to the question as to how the breeding season is going, I have just de-breasted my meager harvest of 9 birds for 5 hours of crop protection on the pea field. Not one of them was in milk-producing mode. As to the shooting, there were about 60-70 on the field when I arrived (3.00pm), those that trickled back had a look at my decoy pattern from a safe distance and politely declined the invitation to join in. If anything,they only wanted the middle of the field. It had to be wind and sun on face because of nearby horse paddocks but their lack of enthusiasm was clear. I hate sun on face, not just because it blinds you but everything shows up so well. However, I am fairly sure they weren't seeing me, they just drifted on by and slid off to another field. I was lucky to get the 9, mainly frustration 60-yard shots.

And to be honest thats not good either - "mainly frustration 60 yard shots"

You should get a mentor 

16 hours ago, Fellside said:

No worries - I just took it as a humorous remark. 

I can also blame the woke clay pigeon scene, when you can't call "no bird" anymore, it's all targets!

14 hours ago, jall25 said:

And to be honest thats not good either - "mainly frustration 60 yard shots"

You should get a mentor 

It's moaners like you who put people off posting on this forum. Get a life and accept that none of us are perfect. What's your problem with me admitting some of my faults?

13 hours ago, jall25 said:

Yes - but i sent you guys the response from the parliamentary one 

4 hours ago, kitchrat said:

I can also blame the woke clay pigeon scene, when you can't call "no bird" anymore, it's all targets!

It's moaners like you who put people off posting on this forum. Get a life and accept that none of us are perfect. What's your problem with me admitting some of my faults?

Grow up

You are shooting - no wounding live animals - get a mentor or another hobby the way you seem to treat things is appalling 

2 hours ago, jall25 said:

Grow up

You are shooting - no wounding live animals - get a mentor or another hobby the way you seem to treat things is appalling 

Sticks and stones........

By the way, just how perfect are you? (I'm not)

Certainly agree about trying not to wound wildlife, but I'm sure we have all tried a speculative shot now and again - just to throwing out an olive branch to try to stop this silly exchange going on.

NB I don't understand your other reply:"Yes - but i sent you guys the response from the parliamentary one" 

34 minutes ago, kitchrat said:

Sticks and stones........

By the way, just how perfect are you? (I'm not)

Certainly agree about trying not to wound wildlife, but I'm sure we have all tried a speculative shot now and again - just to throwing out an olive branch to try to stop this silly exchange going on.

NB I don't understand your other reply:"Yes - but i sent you guys the response from the parliamentary one" 

It quoted 2 things

Believe me - i dont want an argument either 

You stated - "mainly ..... "That is not an odd speculative shot 

34 minutes ago, jall25 said:

It quoted 2 things

Believe me - i dont want an argument either 

You stated - "mainly ..... "That is not an odd speculative shot 

OK, point taken. However, any pigeon shooter who has ever fired at a bird and missed has risked wounding it. But I again plead guilty to poor choice of words, some of my successful shots were outside the range I would usually take, because they were pretty much the only chances I was getting and I admit to getting frustrated. Not good but human weakness.

Can peace break out?

3 minutes ago, kitchrat said:

OK, point taken. However, any pigeon shooter who has ever fired at a bird and missed has risked wounding it. But I again plead guilty to poor choice of words, some of my successful shots were outside the range I would usually take, because they were pretty much the only chances I was getting and I admit to getting frustrated. Not good but human weakness.

Can peace break out?

I forgot to add that I have a double-trigger gun, the bottom barrel of which is fitted with 3/4 choke and loaded with Pigeon Extreme, 34gms No5 shot, for just such a situation. So a 60 yard shot should be a hit or miss situation and if it's a hit, it should be fatal on contact and if it's a miss it's a miss.  Hope that clears things up.

Just now, kitchrat said:

I forgot to add that I have a double-trigger gun, the bottom barrel of which is fitted with 3/4 choke and loaded with Pigeon Extreme, 34gms No5 shot, for just such a situation. So a 60 yard shot should be a hit or miss situation and if it's a hit, it should be fatal on contact and if it's a miss it's a miss.  Hope that clears things up.

its possible your 60 yard birds where more like 40-50 yard birds :yes:

5 minutes ago, old'un said:

its possible your 60 yard birds where more like 40-50 yard birds

Very likely, it's difficult, if not impossible to measure distance in the "heat of the moment". They just seemed quite a long way away and I was pleased when they fell dead from the sky. I guess the 60 yards bit is just another example of my poor choice of words when just knocking off a quick note to Pigeon Forum , I should have said they were quite rangy, or something like that.

I never knew this forum was actually an English Language exam (which I passed in (about) 1969) and that my efforts would be marked so strictly. Sorry again, I'll stop.