Weekend Report

On Wednesday last week I was collecting a new chiller and whilst stuck in traffic on the motorway I noticed a strong line heading to a block of ground I shoot. I finished work at 11 on Friday and headed to the farm to see what was happening. When I arrived the birds were moving well but the line had got very wide, the birds where actually flighting out to a farm further on which I do shoot but the farmer gives priority to the part time keeper. He was out shooting but was set up in completely the wrong place and wasn’t having much shooting. I decided to have an afternoon flighting them down a hedgerow where the wide line seemed to tighten up. I shot them on both the outward flight and the return flight which gave me some fantastic shooting. I was able to drop the birds on a large grass area which made picking up easier. I finished with 152 pigeon.

Today I headed out in the hope of finding good numbers on stubble but after a few hours driving round and checking different farms I found nothing worth setting up for. I started making my way back when I came across a part cut field of rape. It didn’t have many birds down feeding but there was a good line heading over it to a block of wheat about a mile away, I decided to set up in the hope of pulling a few to the decoys and also flighting some as they made for the other ground. This worked great and by the end of the afternoon I’d picked 145 pigeon

EA1B059D-21EF-4AF5-A138-B97FFFD57C41.jpeg

6169D3CE-4DB7-4625-AE33-2D8EC8DE1F4F.jpeg

C1379CAC-96A4-480F-9E07-EB3137C1AA9B.jpeg

I am not a betting man but I would had happily made a bet that you would have a good weekend with the predicted good weather and the start of the harvest in progress , and true to form you delivered the goods , not up to your standards  , but only 152 for the whole afternoon on a flight line you need to polish up your act :lol: , that was a fantastic bag and although Norfolk can be good in places I could never see anyone getting a bag like that if they were just flighting Pigeons , we must not forget your other bag of 145 which again was another one out of the top drawer , nearly 300 in the heat over a weekend is certainly good going , keep checking your lottery tickets and one of these days your numbers might be bang on and your dream of shooting Pigeons everyday might be just around the corner , then what ? , :drinks: