No DPF

countryman

I am trying to find the last year on a pick up truck that had no DPF fitted, I did see advertised a Toyota Hilux 2015 year saying that it was the last model without one fitted but I thought they were fitted before this, seems to vary on the internet as well. 
Thanks

chris

DPF was needed to meet Euro 5 limits which came in 2009.

https://www.carbase.co.uk/news-and-features/car-maintenance/diesel-particulate-filters/

However, many cars were fitted with DPF before that.  I had a 2007 BMW (3 series) and that had a DPF fitted.

I think you will find 2015 was the start of Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system - which is not a DPF, but is the AdBlue system.  Your advertiser is likely getting confused between the two.

SCR cars will also have a DPF and meet Euro 6 (which was 2015)

Edited by JohnfromUK

37 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

DPF was needed to meet Euro 5 limits which came in 2009.

https://www.carbase.co.uk/news-and-features/car-maintenance/diesel-particulate-filters/

However, many cars were fitted with DPF before that.  I had a 2007 BMW (3 series) and that had a DPF fitted.

I think you will find 2015 was the start of Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system - which is not a DPF, but is the AdBlue system.  Your advertiser is likely getting confused between the two.

SCR cars will also have a DPF and meet Euro 6 (which was 2015)

So if it’s euro 5 is that no DPF

There are a lot of things to consider:

1. Any diesel post circa 2008/9 will have a DPF and some earlier do.
  2. Any diesel post circa 2014/15 will have a DPF and SCR (AdBlue system) - again a few earlier do.

But, pre 2008 vehicles are now 16 years old minimum and may (probably will) come with other issues, notably corrosion to MoT 'risk' standards.  It is not easy to find a good 16 year old car!

My own 2007 BMW had a DPF and did have some DPF issues circa 2009/10 which were covered under (BMW approved used car) warranty.  I had no more troubles with DPF despite keeping the car another 14 years.  This despite me retiring after which long journeys became infrequent.

I think most manufacturers had teething troubles with both DPF and SCR (AdBlue) when they were first introduced.  However they were mostly sorted quite quickly.

My current (2022 model) Toyota (2.8 1GD engine) cleans/regenerates its DPF roughly every 200-300 miles and automatically initiates the process when it is 40% full.  It tells you when it is doing it, how far it has got in the process and when it has successfully completed.  The regenerate cycle takes around 10 minutes of 'normal open road' driving.  Mine has always completed without trouble.

IF it cannot regenerate and gets very full (you can check on the dashboard), you are given the option to do a manual regeneration.  I have not done this as I have never needed it, but apparently you park it on non combustible ground, then with the engine warm, press the button and leave it - takes around 20 minutes.

If you only doi lots of very short local runs (meaning engine never really gets warmed up) DPF may be a problem.  If you fairly regularly do 20-30 minute plus drives, it should be fine with that (mine often regenerates on my clays ground trip wihch is about 20 minutes of A and B roads).

Toyota seem to have a DPF regenerate plan to do it often and well before it gets nearly full, and inform the driver of how full, when regenerating, how progress is going, and when complete.  Others (like my BMW) only told you when there was a problem.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

There are a lot of things to consider:

1. Any diesel post circa 2008/9 will have a DPF and some earlier do.
  2. Any diesel post circa 2014/15 will have a DPF and SCR (AdBlue system) - again a few earlier do.

But, pre 2008 vehicles are now 16 years old minimum and may (probably will) come with other issues, notably corrosion to MoT 'risk' standards.  It is not easy to find a good 16 year old car!

My own 2007 BMW had a DPF and did have some DPF issues circa 2009/10 which were covered under (BMW approved used car) warranty.  I had no more troubles with DPF despite keeping the car another 14 years.  This despite me retiring after which long journeys became infrequent.

I think most manufacturers had teething troubles with both DPF and SCR (AdBlue) when they were first introduced.  However they were mostly sorted quite quickly.

My current (2022 model) Toyota (2.8 1GD engine) cleans/regenerates its DPF roughly every 200-300 miles and automatically initiates the process when it is 40% full.  It tells you when it is doing it, how far it has got in the process and when it has successfully completed.  The regenerate cycle takes around 10 minutes of 'normal open road' driving.  Mine has always completed without trouble.

IF it cannot regenerate and gets very full (you can check on the dashboard), you are given the option to do a manual regeneration.  I have not done this as I have never needed it, but apparently you park it on non combustible ground, then with the engine warm, press the button and leave it - takes around 20 minutes.

If you only doi lots of very short local runs (meaning engine never really gets warmed up) DPF may be a problem.  If you fairly regularly do 20-30 minute plus drives, it should be fine with that (mine often regenerates on my clays ground trip wihch is about 20 minutes of A and B roads).

Toyota seem to have a DPF regenerate plan to do it often and well before it gets nearly full, and inform the driver of how full, when regenerating, how progress is going, and when complete.  Others (like my BMW) only told you when there was a problem.

You are correct about corrosion in older vehicles, I have been putting Reg  numbers through the MOT check and a lot have this on the advisory or even fail, my last truck was an Isuzu 17 plate and the DPF on that was a complete nightmare, that had a gauge that showed you the DPF filling up, mine would constantly fill , I even took it back to Isuzu at the time and the mechanic there told me that they were a problem, even had Engines that had had run away due to constant re gens, he even showed me a blown Engine on the workshop floor.

46 minutes ago, countryman said:

You are correct about corrosion in older vehicles, I have been putting Reg  numbers through the MOT check and a lot have this on the advisory or even fail, my last truck was an Isuzu 17 plate and the DPF on that was a complete nightmare, that had a gauge that showed you the DPF filling up, mine would constantly fill , I even took it back to Isuzu at the time and the mechanic there told me that they were a problem, even had Engines that had had run away due to constant re gens, he even showed me a blown Engine on the workshop floor.

The other possible issue with older vehicles is that IF you want to go in any city centres - you either need Euro 6 of have to pay a levy.

My understanding with Toyota is that there is a 'class action' law suit going on in Australia applying to 1GD-FTV and 2GD-FTV diesel engine acquired between 1 October 2015 and 23 April 2020 in Australia.  The class action relates to a fault in the diesel particulate filters (DPF) fitted to 264,170 examples of the HiLux, Prado (Land Cruiser in the UK) and Fortuner (not sold in UK?) built between October 2015 and April 2020.  It is still ongoing - details here https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/toyota-dpf-class-action-battle-continues-in-the-high-court

Before I bought mine I did as much research as I could and on DPF there seems to be little on no trouble after 2020 models which had revised DPF settings (software?).

The 'runaway' is I think caused by diesel building up in the sump after repeated attempts to regenerate (extra diesel injected) and the oil level rising to the extent it gets sucked into the engine through the crankcase breathers.

ALL these emission proofing add ons (DPF, SCR (AdBlue), Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)) are just more to go wrong .......... but the manufacturers are made to have them by legislation.  Whilst you can 'delete' some (there are chips etc. to allow this), my understanding is that MoT inspectors are on the watch for this - and will fail anything they find tampered with.

11 minutes ago, wymberley said:

A right pain in the rear. My 07 plate Ford Ranger had one.

A local more rural garage which understands the needs and the use of their vehicles of/by the more elderly customers would not sell them a diesel car. 

The problem is that a number of the more genuine 4 x 4 vehicles are only available (in the UK) with diesel.  My needs are for a vehicle with reasonable 4 x 4 off road ability and the 'SUV' versions of normal cars aren't really up to the job.  Fortunately, I do seem to do enough longer journeys to keep a DPF happy (had one since 2007).

As an aside I was astonished to read that some of the 'lighter duty' LandRover models don't now have four wheel drive, being transverse engine front wheel drive only.

"How are the mighty fallen" sprang to mind.

If you’re not doing enough mileage to give a DPF a chance to clear itself out once a month or so, frankly diesel is the wrong choice anyway.

If a given vehicle is only available in diesel, then you need to factor a monthly blat up the motorway in as part of your preventative maintenance regime.

That or purchase a 15+ yr old Euro4 vehicle, with the expectation that what you save on purchase cost+DPF upkeep, you’ll have to spend elsewhere.

Even then, diesels need to be “worked” in order to last, it’s the nature of the beast.

• 3 weeks later...

An update on my quest for a non DPF or add blue pick up, there are none that I could find that old that were not suffering from rust, so I went back to a Defender 300tdi re built on a galvanised chassis, not had the 300tdi for many years but still a good old reliable plod around.

34 minutes ago, countryman said:

An update on my quest for a non DPF or add blue pick up, there are none that I could find that old that were not suffering from rust, so I went back to a Defender 300tdi re built on a galvanised chassis, not had the 300tdi for many years but still a good old reliable plod around.

A very good engine. I’ve had two and never a minutes bother with either.

13 hours ago, countryman said:

Have you got a garage, they even get stripped for parts whilst stood round here if they can't be stolen.

22 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Have you got a garage, they even get stripped for parts whilst stood round here if they can't be stolen.

Yes sits in my Barn, that is alarmed and cctv , the steering wheel is one of those removable ones, problem is every time I go out unlock everything get in and I’ve forgot the steering wheel, so back to the house.