First bag from new shoot...

clum84

had this lot this morning while having a walk round my new shoot. looks really promising for the spring with lots of warrens although no bunnies were out today in the frost big feral problem around the stables as well which will have to be sorted. just shot the one to check my zero before heading out to day :blink: post-9969-1201044606.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

had this lot this morning while having a walk round my new shoot. looks really promising for the spring with lots of warrens although no bunnies were out today in the frost big feral problem around the stables as well which will have to be sorted. just shot the one to check my zero before heading out to day :blink: post-9969-1201044606.jpg

Expect a lot of stick from shooting a pheasant with an airgun

Pushing your luck there a bit :blink:

Must people shoot something other then a live target to check their zero. Thats the whole point in checking the zero. Even a Feral does not deserve to be wounded :yes:

I wont even mention the Pheasant as im sure someone else will :lol:

I have considered adding an FAC airgun to my licence for a while for grey squirrel hunting. But now that im in college again, I wont be buying anything for a while :lol:

Nice bag! But if it, like Elvis & Russ say, is an air rifle - why does it have a recoil pad???

I seem to recall My old AAS410 came with a recoil pad.

Not knocking anyone here but few shotty (only) users appreciate just how accurate an fac air rifle is. Head shots are perfectly acheivable at typical shottie ranges. As for sporting - how many times do we read of someones shoot day where they don't all fold and drop? food is shot in many ways to get it in the bag.

Good for you clum, you said you shot just the one BEFORE you went out I think?

Edited by Dave-G

Ill mention it.

Poor pheasant, and a hen at that- hardly a sporting shot.

But then it is your stocks your limiting.

:lol:

So its not vermin shooting you're clearing up a game bird with FAC air, I do hope you have game species on your ticket.

Personally its not sporting and hens at this time of year just limits next years breeding stock

Ill mention it.

Poor pheasant, and a hen at that- hardly a sporting shot.

But then it is your stocks your limiting.

:lol:

So its not vermin shooting you're clearing up a game bird with FAC air, I do hope you have game species on your ticket.

Personally its not sporting and hens at this time of year just limits next years breeding stock

he may of been asked to clear them up but i think the owner will have prob meant the cocks as some shoots do have to meany so they like to fin them out a bit.

This is always the way, "I wouldnt do it so nobody else should" so what everyone is saying is that air rifles wont clean kill? thats what its all about at the end of the day! I stood there and watched a row of 10 blokes this morning stand on the edge of my wood in my feild for driven pheasants.About 10 birds at least didnt come down cleanly!

Dont put it down to the weapon but it down to the bloke holding the gun!

This guy has obviously got proof that himself and weapon does the job, so nice one enjoy your new shoot!

(have to agree with the zeroing comment though dont zero on sky rats zero on something not alive)

This is always the way, "I wouldnt do it so nobody else should" so what everyone is saying is that air rifles wont clean kill? thats what its all about at the end of the day! I stood there and watched a row of 10 blokes this morning stand on the edge of my wood in my feild for driven pheasants.About 10 birds at least didnt come down cleanly!

This guy has obviously got proof that himself and weapon does the job, so nice one enjoy your new shoot!

(have to agree with the zeroing comment though dont zero on sky rats zero on something not alive)

Well said that man. Also as per a previous post I'm sure it won't be wasted and unlike most of the birds in my freezer shot with a 12g you'll probably be able to make sure you DON'T get a pellet to chew on!

you obviously don't understand game shooting if you think its ok with an FAC air gun, apart from the legalities why kill the bird. They aren't vermin, it has nothing at all to do with killing ability its about shooting a sporting game bird in an unsporting fashion, at the very end of their season when most people are leaving them to breed.

Ok you can eat it but personally i'd prefer to shoot them when flying hard and fast over the top of me

Bravo :lol:

Thanks for the comments. Now for those who still aint happy with the pheasant thing let me say firstly that im shooting on a pheasant estate and the gamekeeper doesnt like the birds to breed so he tries to have them all cleared up at the end of each season. hes been doing the job all his life and has produced one of the best sporting estates ive ever seen to be honest so i wont question his methods. secondly i can assure you that a headshot on a pheasant drops it 100% cleanly. much MUCH more cleanly i have to say that a wood pigeon headshot where they do tend to flap around for ages. and certainly a lot more cleanly that a lot of the shots i witnessed with 12gauges on the driven shoot i was on the day before! also for the bloke that mentioned the blood, that was from th squirrels as everything was in my bag as i walked around the shoot. now you can consider it not sporting if you wish but the fact of the matter is i was doing a job and the last thing i'll say is you try getting within airgun range of one of these end of season birds then try telling me its not sporting! :lol:

last thing i'll say is you try getting within airgun range of one of these end of season birds then try telling me its not sporting! :lol:

piece of **** if you use a pointer, it'll sit 5 yards away. Or if you get up early and walk round the edge of a wood with phesant pens in it there'll be loads within 30yrds.

I don't doubt you can kill it cleanly with an airgun, but its definatley not sporting!

Thanks for the comments. Now for those who still aint happy with the pheasant thing let me say firstly that im shooting on a pheasant estate and the gamekeeper doesnt like the birds to breed so he tries to have them all cleared up at the end of each season. hes been doing the job all his life and has produced one of the best sporting estates ive ever seen to be honest so i wont question his methods. secondly i can assure you that a headshot on a pheasant drops it 100% cleanly. much MUCH more cleanly i have to say that a wood pigeon headshot where they do tend to flap around for ages. and certainly a lot more cleanly that a lot of the shots i witnessed with 12gauges on the driven shoot i was on the day before! also for the bloke that mentioned the blood, that was from th squirrels as everything was in my bag as i walked around the shoot. now you can consider it not sporting if you wish but the fact of the matter is i was doing a job and the last thing i'll say is you try getting within airgun range of one of these end of season birds then try telling me its not sporting! :lol:

Good for you mate enjoy :blink: :good: