Want to scare some woodies....

rochey

....as opposed to decoy them in!

My parents' garden is being wrecked by woodies at the moment and as the garden is surrounded by other houses, the use of the shottie or air rifle is out of the question.

Question is, what can we put in there to scare them away? Have been thinking along the lines of putting some kind of bird of prey models on the fences or such like......anyone got any advice please oh wise forum?? :yp:

Having spent the last month chasing them off of the peas locally, CD's work for around four to seven days, as do scarecrows etc, they even get used to gas guns and will feed within 100 yards eventually.

The answer that I have found is to change the method of scaring as soon as they start to get used to it and start getting closer. The foil inners from wine boxes will work also, hung from string so that they swing around (with the bonus that you have to empty them first).

One local farm has a pink rubber scarecrow that inflates and stands up 3 times, every 15 minutes, it looks like Mr Blobby on crystal meth, but it works as well as anything, it's hilarious when the battery is getting low, it looks as though it is doing press-ups.

Get some long and short garden canes and some compost bags.

1.Cut the bag in to two pieces down the sides.

2.Get some shotgun cases (empty/fired) cut the bottom brass of them a one cut length ways 2/3 per cane

3.put the bag on the cane and rap it once.

4. put the cases on and rap them around the cane and bag.( you may have to take some the case off to make it smaller)

5.Stapple on to the cases and this will hold it all to gether. (2-4stapple per case)

6.Cut the bag down its length about 2-3inches peices and cut to the end but leave about 5inches nearst the cane so it does not unravel.

I hop this help's i have always use this and it works and i've try to make the instructions easy to understand :lol: but you'll get it :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

bird table in the garden, either one with a roof or an open flat one. put wild bird feed on it and add some maize and extra wheat. the woodies will come to it. the as aboave side. upstairs windows, there not there just to look out of.hehe, works every time. tree rats come to it as well. :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yup, the best solution I have found is a bird-table with peanut hangers, fat-balls and bird seed.

The fat-balls attract the blue-tits , robins & chaffinches so the wife can say AAAHH!! and not wonder why you are taking notice of nature and setting up a bird-table

The peanuts attract the squirrels and the bird-seed the pigeons so that the XS78 can say "bye-bye" from the bedroom window.

It's a quiet gun so the neighbours won't notice, particularly if you are behind the net curtains and only have the tip of the barrel visible - actually you need to be extremely discrete with both pigeon and squirrel otherwise they won't settle.

Anyway after a very short time NO MORE PIGEONS.

Then you have to find some permissions to justify why you still have a gun!

• 1 month later...