I had a fight with a dog...

mr lee

and sort of lost... ;)

Took my two collies up the woods for a walk earlier prior to them bedding down for the evening. A regular normal walk I do every evening. This evening, whilst on the lead another dog walker and hound were coming down the woods so I called out to the guy and asked him to put his dog on it's lead. His response was the usual..'It's okay..he's harmless..'. Now his may be, however, one of mine was attacked as a pup by another dog and since lost all patience with other dogs so goes for anything which comes within 20 yards of him understandably. I said to the guy one of mine wasn't tolerant with other dogs so could he please put his on a lead before they started to scrap. Again, he commented on how his was a lovely passive dog who only wanted to sniff...Now before I had chance to say anything else his dog got too close and mine started to kick off, barking and snarling and pulling like chuff on the lead. His dog kept coming in and went to sniff my other passive collie. However, before it got to my other dog Jake launched at it. ******! :good: I started to drag him off when my other collie, Zak, then decided it wasn't happy with this so also kicked off at this guys dog. I was then pulling two large collies off this guys cross inbred scruffy rag. The guys dog then started to have a go back whilst said guy is gently and pathetically calling his dog saying he has never attacked another dog before...

I shouted to the guy to grab his dog and basically **** off before one of them was killed. His dog came at mine again so stupidly I stepped inbetween them, quite why I don't really know. All I recall is seeing this dogs teeth and a sharp as hell pain in my lower leg. Yup! You guessed it, the bloody thing had bitten me! :good: I ended up letting my dogs loose which then pretty much knocked seven shades of errr...you know..out of this scruffy dog. The guy was shouting he would have me arrested etc my dogs put down and I damn near flipped! He eventually grabbed his mutt and I managed to pull Jake off his and zak came away when called. Got back home and instantly phoned the police and informed them I had been bitten by this guys dog which wasn't on a lead when mine were even after asking him to leash them. Police are calling round at some point to take a proper statement and some photos of my leg.

The guys dog was bleeding all over after my two had a go but Zak has a slight cut to his ear and jake just had a nip on his lip fortunately.

Why do idiots insist their dog is fine off a lead even after you have told them yours is a bit keen with other dogs? Makes my blood boil! I'm still fuming like hell. Going to have to nip for a bloody jab now too tomorrow! :oops:

Cleaned my leg up now but the lower cut has a hole right down to the bone.

dsc00217ks6.th.jpg

Edited by mr lee

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you heal fast and it doesn't come to it but I have a feeling the police are going to ask why your dog who is known to not like other dogs was not wearing a muzzle.

I personally don't feel he needs to wear a muzzle. Keep your dog on a lead as I do and he just barks a touch. If another dog get's too close and he feels threatened he does like most of us would and protects himself.

EDIT: to add, up until the point his dog got in my dogs face, my dogs were under full control. His however wasn't as it wasn't on a lead.

Edited by mr lee

I'm not having a dig, it's how the law is these days, if one of our Kent members walked up to you at a shoot and started humping your leg and you kicked him you would be in the wrong.

I'll bet you a box of Jaffa cakes that you will be told "if a child had been walking past holding a puppy................"

Edited by jerico

I'm not having a dig, it's how the law is these days, if one of our Kent members walked up to you at a shoot and started humping your leg and you kicked him you would be in the wrong.

I'll bet you a box of Jaffa cakes that you will be told "if a child had been walking past holding a puppy................"

Nah jerico, I know it wasn't a dig mate. No worries there..

Had it been a puppy? My dog would probably have nudged it around for hours sniffing it's jacksie.. :good: Does that with the kids rabbit. :oops:

I've mixed views on this , to me sounds like you have what amounts to a dangerous dog so like a proper owner keep it on the lead. The other owner had no doubt a placid dog that didn't fight so just left it off the lead, ok unwisely so but thats more out of knowing his dog. Sounds like a sorry incident and sadly you got bitten in the middle of it but that does happen if you get involved with dog fights. The other bloke ok silly had a friendly non aggressive dog that yours sound like they have savaged, I'd try and not add to his problems of the police pursuing him for a dangerous dog, he won't do it again and I'd muzzle yours in public

You did the right thing by keeping your dogs on a lead and the other fella should have heeded your warning and secured his dog. But if you know your dogs are snappy then a muzzle is probably the way to go as there are plenty of possibilities where the dog is approached or stressed when out walking. Jerico's example is one that will probably be put to you if you confirm you knew that one of your dogs had the propensity to snap.

Mind you, I doubt the other fella's dog was as nice as he would make out - sounds like it gave as good as it got and wouldn't back off.

6 of one half a dozen of the other and it will blow over. Just as well the owners didn't get into any fistycuffs.

Hey I object to that, theres nothing wrong with us Kent lads, just cos we like a bit of "Dogging" now and then..... :good:

Seriously though Mr Lee You did well under the circs, is your Tetnus up to date? If not I would go get it done urgently.

:oops:

Edited by dusk2dawn

Hmmm....I can understand what you are saying guys but I do completely disagree that I own a dangerous dog. :good: This is a dog that has been brought up from a pup with my two kids, had barbie dolls and small toys shoved in his ears/mouth/backside and anywhere else the kids decided their toys would look good.. :oops: He is very protective of our kids, never once so much as grumbled when they used to climb all over him and only ever been a huge softie with people. His only problem is when he was attacked as a pup so associates this with danger and probably pain hence him being defensive where other dogs are concerned.

We can have him off the lead anywhere and if someone walks past he doesn't even bat an eyelid. The only time he get's his fur up is when another dog comes running in at him. Quite normal for a lot of dogs. Some are just defensive.

Anyway, that said, I've been up the hospital and had a jab in the backside.. :good: and some of those steristrip stitches put across the upper cut, the lower one was cleaned and all covered up. What's now frustrating is the bloody itchyness of it all. :good:

Oh and Russ..........You worry me lad! ;)

Hmmm....I can understand what you are saying guys but I do completely disagree that I own a dangerous dog. :good: This is a dog that has been brought up from a pup with my two kids, had barbie dolls and small toys shoved in his ears/mouth/backside and anywhere else the kids decided their toys would look good.. :oops: He is very protective of our kids, never once so much as grumbled when they used to climb all over him and only ever been a huge softie with people. His only problem is when he was attacked as a pup so associates this with danger and probably pain hence him being defensive where other dogs are concerned.

We can have him off the lead anywhere and if someone walks past he doesn't even bat an eyelid. The only time he get's his fur up is when another dog comes running in at him. Quite normal for a lot of dogs. Some are just defensive.

Anyway, that said, I've been up the hospital and had a jab in the backside.. :good: and some of those steristrip stitches put across the upper cut, the lower one was cleaned and all covered up. What's now frustrating is the bloody itchyness of it all. :good:

Oh and Russ..........You worry me lad! ;)

See, it's not all bad - some people pay good money for that sort of thing :good: .

Seriously, hope that your recovery goes well and you don't get too much aggro from the situation. Whatever the ins and outs, and what might be advisable next time, you did your best to warn the other bloke and avoid any confrontation, and nothing would have happened if he'd heeded your warning and put his dog on a lead until you went by.

Robert

Its always nice to let your dogs off the leads. When you know it is safe to.

But i always put both of mine on leads when i am near small children,old people or other dogs.

Even though i know my two are a couple of softies you never know about that other persons dog .

or what that small child will do .

And the last thing a old couple want is a very boisterous clumber coming at full speed towards them . :good: I know what that is like :oops:

I really feel for you Mr Lee.

its a shame the other gentleman did not listen to your advice about putting his dog on a lead

.Little sweepy had something like this happen to him .When he was walking sammy once .Sammy was on the lead .And this ladys lab was not .

The lab comes up to sammy ready to have a go at him .So sammy shows his teeth .

The lady then gos in to one about how sammy was a dangerous dog .And should not be aloud near people let alone other dogs.

let sammy was under control it was her dog that was uncontrollable. ;)

We all love are dogs .But if ever i thought they were a risk to others even on leads .mine would be muzzle at all times.

xxxxsuzy

p.s I hope you heal fast.

To me it doesnt sound like you have yourself a dangerour dog, my dog is soft as a nut when it comes to people, great with other dogs too, shes happy having a sniff, but when the going gets touch she aint afraid to get the teath out and the foam dripping.

You gave the other bloke a clean warning that your dog is not too friendly where other dogs are concerned and instructed him to leash his, for safety, he ignored your instructions / reccomendations and the worst happened.

I dont think personaly that you will be advised to muzzel you dog when out in future, as after all that happened you dog did not attack the other person, when infact it was his that bit you, this clearly proves your dogs problem was with the other dog and not the owner of the other dog, therefore your dog does not prove a danger to the public.

You will be fine pal, i cant understand some people sometimes, if you said to me that you dog could be a little over playful then i would be happy to leash mine for a minute or two, ohh well as the good old saying goes...... **** happens :good:

Hope your leg heas well :oops:

I know just where you're coming from. I had 2 male Rottis, good sound and well behaved and like you the older one was attacked as

a youngster, and like yours would not tolerate a male dog, they both got on with bitches no problem but dogs not so.

Having said that the older one would never make the first move but would just be very alert, if the other dog barked, snarled or growled

then play time was over and the elder would be in and as 2 dogs make a pack the younger one would be by his side!!

Like you if i was walking them off the lead i was very aware of who and what was around me and any sign of another dog they were called and

leashed, and again like you had many encounters with idiots just letting their dogs run free as though they had a right to and

you don't ( Their dog being so friendly and loyal, grew up with BAMBI you know!) After the usual "Excuse me can you put your dog

on a lead and get it under control" and the usual response of "He's fine" i would reply " No problem mine aren't so I'll slip their leads and see how

long yours last when it kicks off!!" They soon got them on a lead and out the way, on 1 occasion i was caught with mine on the lead and the owner was not bothered and his dog came for the said sniff and started to snarl and go for my dog, while keeping my dog still on a lead out of the way i gave the other mutt a well placed kick and you know what all of a suuden the dogs owner was bothered! put it on a lead and left the park amazing!!

It might not be right but if any dog attacked me or my dog whilst under control or on a lead then it will get short change

ie. a good kick or a stick over it's head, having said that it's the owners who really need the kick for their stupidity not the dog

Cheers Mutley

I know just where you're coming from. I had 2 male Rottis, good sound and well behaved and like you the older one was attacked as

a youngster, and like yours would not tolerate a male dog, they both got on with bitches no problem but dogs not so.

Having said that the older one would never make the first move but would just be very alert, if the other dog barked, snarled or growled

then play time was over and the elder would be in and as 2 dogs make a pack the younger one would be by his side!!

Like you if i was walking them off the lead i was very aware of who and what was around me and any sign of another dog they were called and

leashed, and again like you had many encounters with idiots just letting their dogs run free as though they had a right to and

you don't ( Their dog being so friendly and loyal, grew up with BAMBI you know!) After the usual "Excuse me can you put your dog

on a lead and get it under control" and the usual response of "He's fine" i would reply " No problem mine aren't so I'll slip their leads and see how

long yours last when it kicks off!!" They soon got them on a lead and out the way, on 1 occasion i was caught with mine on the lead and the owner was not bothered and his dog came for the said sniff and started to snarl and go for my dog, while keeping my dog still on a lead out of the way i gave the other mutt a well placed kick and you know what all of a suuden the dogs owner was bothered! put it on a lead and left the park amazing!!

It might not be right but if any dog attacked me or my dog whilst under control or on a lead then it will get short change

ie. a good kick or a stick over it's head, having said that it's the owners who really need the kick for their stupidity not the dog

Cheers Mutley

Again, spot on. I would class myself a responsible dog owner and behave in the same manner when out with my two. It's down to being courteous mainly. As already mentioned a few times now, what annoys me is the ignorant walkers who feel they don't need to leash their dogs regardless of others wishes.

Hi M8.

i have to agree with the others on how the police will take and handle this but tbh so many people go out with dogs that arn't 100% happy with other dogs etc.

at least you told the man twice that was then his problem. i hope one day these arrogant dog walkers who always think they know best will learn.

i had a fairly dodgy walk a couple of weeks ago, there was a stray black lab about the local park where i was walking with dogs who are ok with dogs but don't appreciate being harrased by others. this black lab had apparantly been agressive to other people and animals all around the town. whilst on the walk i went up some stairs and half way up i saw the black lab at the top. it then went for my two however i was able to get to the lab first so it didn't quite get a chance to get into a scrap. i walked straight through and kicked it away and shouted and the thing ran off luckily. in public i always get in between my dogs and others dogs i don't trust anyone with or without dogs near mine.

let us know how the situation turns out. will be intresting to see how the police deal with it.

get better soon

charlie

Cheers Charlie. Still waiting for them to turn up however. I know it's not exactly crime of the century though so don't really hold out much hope other than being given a number.

Just to add, I don't want anything to happen to any of the dogs, just hope they understand how his actions (or lack of..) caused me to be bitten and give him a warning of sorts.

The good thing with you informing the police immediatly is that, if he was to report it, then the police would already know your side of the story, therefore the police would not treat you as a criminal and assume your a total nutter with killer dogs on the prowl :oops:

As previously stated, good luck and let us know the out come should there ever be one if the police in your area are anything like North Wales Police :good: