Hearing protection.

apbuild

Be honest with me!

How many of you wear hearing protection when pigeon/game shooting? I know it is difficult when using passive ear protection to clearly hear the birds flighting in or breaking cover.

The moulded silicone earplugs I use for clay shooting are excellent for blocking out all sound on the clay ground but for the shooting scenario's mentioned above they are a handicap.

To this end, I have just bought a set of electronic ear muffs. Having been a shooter for six years now, I wish I had bought these ages ago!

They are brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob. ;)

Guest Mr Pieman

I wear them - always. I have electronic cans AND a personally fitted silicone pair with filters (so you can wear them and have a normal conversation!).

When at Bisley (sometimes go to check out the rifle (6.5x55)), i wear BOTH pairs because I find the echo below the prone canopies is really loud!!!

How girly am I?!?!?!

PP

Deako

Now be careful, youve met me, and my hearing is impared, but not through shooting.

I bought some Deben electronic ear muffs several years ago, they have been great, although the batteries dont seem to last as long as they claim. If I were buying again I would buy the solar powered variety.

There was an excellent debate on this forum with regard to hearing protection several months ago. It would be well worth a search.

I always wear mine. I intend to keep my remaining hearing for as long as possible.

webber

:blink: Always always wear hearing protection with a shotgun,I know too many old keepers and guys who have never used them and they`re now the ones who sit and nod during a conversation and not know whats been said!One poor chap just has tinitus(whistling in his ears 24/7/365)The only time I don`t is when using the 222 I prefer to hear the bullet strike and that`s why I`m applying for a mod for it! ;)

I damaged my hearing by motorcycling 8-14 hours a day.
Call that noisy do yer, yer Big Jessie? I spent my early working life in a foundry and a drop forge...now that was 'kin noisy!

And it sent me a bit Mutton too; like LB says nobody gave it a thought (40 years ago in my case) but you yoofs have had fair warning, so look after the lugs, or like me and LB you'll wind up with a problem.

Now stop bloody mumbling man, speak up, speak up!

Eug,

All the posts agree you cannot repair damaged hearing.But may I point out that perhaps the electric type may not be as effective as we believe.When I shoot I normally wear foam plugs plus my electric defenders with no problems.Some times , normally when instructing, I only wear my electrics and I often end up with a banging headache.The bonus you get with ear muffs is they keep your ears warm on cold days.

Salopian

I wear ear protection when on the rare chance I am shooting on driven day or if I am clay shooting. I must admit I tend not to wear them when shooting pigeons, wildfowl or crows/rooks. I must buy a pair of the old electronic ones i dont wear nomal ones as i use my hearing when shooting crows/rooks and wildfowl to find what direction they are coming from.

Crow ;)

i am 37 and completely deaf in my left ear through not wearing ear defenders.the doctor says that my right ear is protected from the danage by the fact i mount my gun that side.i spend half my day saying "sorry mate,whats that ?" or being asked something and then accused of being ignorant for not answering.

i use the disposable foam plugs,too little too late. ;)

on the plus side i always keep the wife to my left :blink:

I have to admit when I was shooting years ago I never used ear protection ,thankfully I never damaged my hearing ,but nowaday's I always wear plugs for shooting and work , I prefer the plugs with the special inserts so you can still hear a conversation they only cost a £10 , much better a few quid lighter than no hearing . ;)

I think anyone starting shooting nowadays, would naturally use ear protection, but when some of us started, it was as unheard of as car seat belts.

I often wonder if eventually the damage allegedly caused by repetitive mobile phone use, will result in a similar phenomena amongst another age group.

Perhaps in years to come, people will wear lead coated helmets when using mobile phones. ;)

I have jsut received my digi ear plugs after being fitted in the midland and they are superb, I think I may even be able to wear them when out stalking.

As for wearing just normal plugs or ear defenders when sighting in or clayshooting you should wear both the HSE recommends that over 95db you should as the one or the other does not cut out enough noise, only both lower it sufficiently to save any damage.

Don't forget if you shoot fullbore you cannot get refused for a mod for vermin if you put down your main reason as being to comply with HSE regulations. ;)

To be honest I never wear ear protection because when rough shooting I like to hear whats going on around me. I don't shoot clays but if I did I would wear ear protection and I'm very rarely out decoying so I don't fire a lot of shots at any one time.

currently as i'm running low on funds im not able to purchase any fancy electronic defenders and i mostly shoot a few clays at home when i get the chance i'm using some peltor earmuffs with an fm radio in (we use them when out cutting the grass hedgecutting strimming etc, and fabrication stuff) but they are absolutley fantastic earmuffs and really take out alot of sound, the only downside is that it is impossible to have a conversation with someone without having to lift one off your ear.

-proteus-

Ollie, Swift, Silent, Deadly.

Shooting without hearing protection, deafness will be swift,you will experience silence, and that could prove deadly.Enough said.

Salopian

To be honest I don't think I fire enough shots in any one day to merit ear protection, I would very rarely fire any more than a belt in the one day. But as I get older I would consider it for sure.