Dog Attack!!!

Oly

Just been sent this from my folks - don't know the details of whether they know whose the dog is (although there is a new guy at the end of the lane - but he is a retired farmer) or how many sheep have been got and whether they have had to be put down etc - but it makes my blood boil. :good: My folks took photo's as they don't shoot - so unfortunately that's all they could do :lol: I've suggested that my little brother (who does shoot & whose sheep they are) & I go 'lamping' tonight!! :hmm::good:

post-1937-1217752313.jpg

post-1937-1217752325.jpg

post-1937-1217752334.jpg

Apolgies - I have been over there all day. I now have all the details and not just pictures.

At 5am this morning my mother heard a strange dog barking, looked out of the window and saw the above dog attacking my brothers sheep. My mother and father head over but obviously don't want to go into the field with a dangerous dog (my Dad's due a new hip next week or two anyway!), so attempt to scare it off but it's having too much fun. They had already called my brother who returns mid-milking and sees the dog isn't just going to be shoo'd away, so he gets his shotgun and shoots it. After this point my father calls, the police (who tell him to leave a message on an answerphone), my uncle (a trading standards agricultural animal welfare officer), the vet and - once the others (except the police) arrive he calls the dog owner to inform him.

The owner has only recently taken the dog on from a guy who rescues/re-homes dogs and to be honest almost sounds relieved it's dead. They have two Alastians and one recently died, so they took on this second dog to keep the other company - although it sounds like it may have been taunted by it's previous owners, perhaps more than he thought. He only lives 1/4 mile away so is on the scene within minutes. The dog was let out at ~2am as his wife had heard noises, and as there has recently been a small spate of gypsy activity in area she felt the dogs should deter anyone with any ideas. Unfortunately the dog jumped the gate and the owner then spent 2 hours searching for it along the lanes & nearby woods. I must say though that he has been very good, he has offered to pay all costs (he uses the same vet for equine purposes so just told the vet to bill it to his account) and has been more than apologetic - even popping round this afternoon to see if there was any more he could do.

Of the three pedigree texel tups in that small field two little ones were quite badly mauled. The elder tried to butt the dog back somewhat and saved his skin in the process. One of the smaller tups narrowly missed having his jugular ripped out and the other had over 30 stitches and 19 puncture wounds to his throat. As the vet said - if they weren't pedigree they would have been put down - simple. One of the young tups fathers was over £17K and his grandfather £110K! So all are present alive, but the pricey one has just been laid all day - if he does die it will be costly! That said, my brother may well claim on the guys insurance for the devaluation of these animals too - even though he wants to keep them for breeding stock.

So to be honest, even though it is a terrible thing to have happened, it was an accident and animals (including dogs) are really their own masters sometimes - but at least the owner has been so helpful. Logs and photos have been taken so if he does change his tune we do have some come back but it seems OK so far.

Oh - almost forgot...the Cheshire police took a verbal statement over the phone from my father - nothing more...yet?? This is the same force who has lost my friends SGC application 6 times and he is still waiting - nearly 2 years on!!

Fair play to you brother for having the balls to shoot the dog.

Someone did it round here a few weeks ago after they had warned the owner about it a few times. He phoned the police to say he had shot this blokes dog and they said ok. The bloke phoned up moaning and was told he should have kept his dog under control.

How much are those sheep worth?

Harry

The sheep made it through the night :good: - we had favourable weather for them but there's always the risk of Charlie having a go which we worried about. The particularly pricey little fella wuith 19 puncture wounds is up and drinking today, so fingers crossed - that said Texels are notorious for being OK for a few dyas then just giving up! :lol:

I'm not that knowledgable to price up the tups, but with the price of the blood line you can guess it should be quite a bit - I think the mother was ~£3K when he bought her last year in lamb with this one. My brother's intention is to keep them for breeding and building his flock anyway. :hmm:

You mention about my brother having the balls to shoot the dog - I agree, but it did shake him up quite a bit. From looking at the photos (sorry, not going to post pictures of a shot dog!) - it did look like a nice dog, just shame about the treatment/temperament it had.

Another way to look at it is - this time it was only sheep (no offense Oly) it could have been a kid / toddler, I hate the thought of shooting any dog but if it's acting this way then there is no other option.

It's the owners that turn a dog like this who should really be hammered....

Totally with you there gixer - it's the owners (or rather previous owners in this case) not the dog. :good:

Dusty Fox - I think there are enough stories about dogs mauling kids out there already, plus it'll just give the government even more ammunition to force us into additional 'nanny state' laws

We had a similar incident recently,but the owner was present while her dog attacked the sheep(killed 1 and severly injured 2 more)She was trying to call the dog off but it took no attention.Anyway on this occasion the police were called and they were there 10 mins later :) I am not sure of the laws on shooting dogs but the cop told the woman that if her dog was seen again on the land, wheather it was worrying sheep or not the farmer was within his rights to shoot the dog as it is a known attacker of livestock !Dont know if thats right or not but it seems to of worked and she payed for the dead sheep and the vet bills for the other 2.

• 2 months later...

Quick update - here's a picture of the lamb that was attacked by the alsatian in early august. I think its fair to say he has made a good and almost full recovery. My brother's hoping to use him this time next year to sire some of 2010's lambs. :wub:

post-1937-1223726987.jpg

post-1937-1223727365.jpg

Edited by Oly

Good to see he's recovered well and that the owner was reasonable about it.

There has been numerous problems with dogs in my area in recent years. Lots of irresponsible dog owners unfortunately. Theres a footpath on ground that my uncle owns and we rent, they just park up in the gateway to the field and let their dogs run where they please. Don't even bother to go in to the field with the dog. They just lean on the gate and watch. I think there would be trouble if sheep and not cattle were kept in there.

Gareth