Welly recommendations

Sprinter

Not sure if this is in the right place, but if not can some kind moderator move it for me.

I am looking for recommendations for sensibly priced, wellies. They must be able to withstand attack from briars and blackthorn so none of these super soft grassland/ country fair only options please.

Last season was laughable for me as i went through 3 pairs of wellies in 4 weeks each one in the £30-£60 bracket. The shop was sick of the sight of me returning them. I would also consider high shin boot options but bear in mind i have, erm, rather chunky calves.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this is in the right place, but if not can some kind moderator move it for me.

I am looking for recommendations for sensibly priced, wellies. They must be able to withstand attack from briars and blackthorn so none of these super soft grassland/ country fair only options please.

Last season was laughable for me as i went through 3 pairs of wellies in 4 weeks each one in the £30-£60 bracket. The shop was sick of the sight of me returning them. I would also consider high shin boot options but bear in mind i have, erm, rather chunky calves.

My experience with wellies has been; The more that you pay for them, the shorter time that they last, expensive boots usually crack across the top of the foot, I now buy the cheapest available, £8, if they last a season, that saves £110+, and if I have to buy another pair, big deal!

Le Chameau without doubt I have had my present pair for nearly 4 years, they have been WELL used , no cracking comfortable as hell, and warm and waterproof, OK not cheep, but built to last,

cheers KW

My experience with wellies has been; The more that you pay for them, the shorter time that they last, expensive boots usually crack across the top of the foot, I now buy the cheapest available, £8, if they last a season, that saves £110+, and if I have to buy another pair, big deal!

like bob say, save your cash.

i bought some dunlop years ago, and ive still got em. only £10 :lol:

In the past i have always got cheap green wellies at about £7-9 a pair and they have all lasted be a year of hard use ( I wear them for work all summer and most days in winter ). In contrast i got some argile black boots in April , costing £40 which lasted a week. Returned them and got a second pair which lasted a couple of days. I am now on the 5th pair this summer and they are already leaking. The faults have varied from seams opening , to heels falling off and cracks in the rubber. Like Sprinter the shop is getting fed up with me returning them so going back to a cheap pair next. At least I will get my moneys worth out of them and I will NEVER NEVER GET ARGILE BOOTS AGAIN !!!!!!!!!

Edited by anser2

In the past i have always got cheap green wellies at about £7-9 a pair and they have all lasted be a year of hard use ( I wear them for work all summer and most days in winter ). In contrast i got some argile black boots in April , costing £40 which lasted a week. Returned them and got a second pair which lasted a couple of days. I am now on the 5th pair this summer and they are already leaking. The faults have varied from seams opening , to heels falling off and cracks in the rubber. Like Sprinter the shop is getting fed up with me returning them so going back to a cheap pair next. At least I will get my moneys worth out of them and I will NEVER NEVER GET ARGILE BOOTS AGAIN !!!!!!!!!

Yep, exactly the problems that I had with Aigle and Hunter neoprenes, admittedly very comfortable and light to wear, but made for occasional use only. Also, blackthorn goes through neo wellies like a bayonet through butter, both the soles and the sides.

My last pair of Dunlops will be in their third season this year.

I have had 2 pairs of the Aigle Parcours/neo lining. I use them EVERYDAY for my work in the countryside and am definitely not an occasional user. I only had to replace them because the old ones had very little tred left. The rest of the boot is still solid.

Aigle gets my vote. :lol: Ive been through the lot.

I am however sick of the sweaty feet with any type of wellie. I ordered a new pair of Danner high lace up boots with gortex lining.

Wow,

Thanks for all the replies guys. Looks like Aigle Parcours are winning the vote at the moment.

My current pair of (just been to look but the name has rubbed off) are in the sink at the moment soaking the muck off and i will leak test them tomorrow. Keep getting a wet left heel/instep. Shame as they are a damn comfy boot and i've walked miles in them, unfortunately most of those miles have been with said wet left foot and i'm too annoyed to take them back yet again because i'll end up having a proper up and downer this time.

If they are not repairable via a cycle puncture repair kit, it's either the Aigle Parcours or some high leg Meindls

Hunter Neo Galloway's for me - £65. Don't know what you'd have to do to burst them but mine are worn daily (being in Scotland) and are still going strong after 2 years.

WGD

Ditto, had mine for around 2 yers now, fantastic wellies plus their Scottish and your supporting a home grown business by buying them, they do the job no question.

My most expensive ever wellies were £30 Eiger Pitteraq (fishing boots) and they cracked to bits after 2 years. I got some Chinese things with fur lining off Ebay which were ok last year(cost £12). When they wear out I have some neoprene socks to wear inside Decathlon £7 wellies.I cant justify forking out for something that might get trashed on barbed wire on their first outing.

Edited by vole21

Right, result of the washing and testing is that i have a split which is cresent shaped and about 3/8" long in the sole under my arch. Possible a brabed wire puncture or a quad bike stress point.

Question is what is the best way to go about repairing this?

Hot knife and move some rubber over the split

Some rubber solution in the crack.

A cycle patch over the crack

A combination of all three, or just chuck the damn things away?

Right, result of the washing and testing is that i have a split which is cresent shaped and about 3/8" long in the sole under my arch. Possible a brabed wire puncture or a quad bike stress point.

Question is what is the best way to go about repairing this?

Hot knife and move some rubber over the split

Some rubber solution in the crack.

A cycle patch over the crack

A combination of all three, or just chuck the damn things away?

To be quite honest, I have tried all glueing methods, when you have paid well over £100, you tend to. The hot knife and melting the material is a good idea and well worth a try. But I think that you are looking at a new pair in the long run.

From the reports of "fantastic" to "rubbish" with both Aigle and Hunter, , you have to ask if these boots are made in more than one location, (Taiwan?) and some factories are turning out a better product than others.

Sprinter, this is most likely to be a stress crack, I have had the same, but without using a quad..

Dunlops can't beat em..

69597.jpg

Border Wellingtons - Green

Dunlop Acifort Heavy Duty Non-Safety Wellington Boot

taz..