dream world

martin1

hi lads,

is it me or are people wanting rediculous prices for there guns on the off chance some one who dont know there stuff buys it?

to me thats ripping some one of and takin liberties.

most the guns ive looked at airguns i will add,people are wanting like 20-50 under the price of new??

for a extra 20-40 and you can get a new rifle,from the shop,what are these people thinking and what makes them think they can ask for such prices?

might just be me,i know prices have risen but not that much and i think people are targeting newbies tbh and that aint right,i was a newb once and i got ripped and its not nice when you find out later you could of bought the gun new for a tiny bit more.

its wrong!!

example,ok i have a super10 mk2 i bought it used for 300 quid,there 750 in the shop so i want 720? does that sound right?

Martin,

I hear what your saying but it really is buyer beware. Whether your new to airguns or not, it would be foolish not to do your homework first. I must admit, I have seen some rather higly priced items lately, but it simply means I ignore them.

Either way, the value of the second airgun is measured by the amount people are willing to pay. Rather like house pricing unfortunately.

think theres no chance a long time huter would buy any of the guns for sale as they know there over priced,now a newbie will buy not knowing what his bought and if its worth the money he has payed,then when he finds out he could of bought new for 20 quid ,more,how happy is he going to be,its getting silyl in sale,

id be willing to take moderator on the sales section if it available and il put a sticky of what your guns worth,list of gun with price of new and expected price of used.

buying a gun,using it for 6months and asking fot the price of new is just wrong.

atb

axe i understand that any thin is valued at any thing the buyer whant to pay but this is nearly ever sale im looking at, falcon 400 new,im after 380, webley 10 with punp 600 quid.

its unreal.

might put my guns up for 2k even thou there probly ony worth 400 max.

send me down there as a moderator and i will sort it out as in my eyes if a newbie buys they have simply beed robbed which aint right at all.

no some one who know his gear on a custo gun faire enough.

atb

Edited by martin1

axe i understand that any thin is valued at any thing the buyer whant to pay but this is nearly ever sale im looking at, falcon 400 new,im after 380, webley 10 with punp 600 quid.

its unreal.

might put my guns up for 2k even thou there probly ony worth 400 max.

send me down there as a moderator and i will sort it out as in my eyes if a newbie buys they have simply beed robbed which aint right at all.

no some one who know his gear on a custo gun faire enough.

atb

I can see where your comming from :drinks:

loopy mate you right but still i think some think needs to be done like a used gun price quide and scopes or general section so newbies can ask what the guns worth.

or the sellers should be warned on there prises if the stupidly price.

custom and limited editions the fare enough.

hi lads,

is it me or are people wanting rediculous prices for there guns on the off chance some one who dont know there stuff buys it?

to me thats ripping some one of and takin liberties.

most the guns ive looked at airguns i will add,people are wanting like 20-50 under the price of new??

for a extra 20-40 and you can get a new rifle,from the shop,what are these people thinking and what makes them think they can ask for such prices?

might just be me,i know prices have risen but not that much and i think people are targeting newbies tbh and that aint right,i was a newb once and i got ripped and its not nice when you find out later you could of bought the gun new for a tiny bit more.

its wrong!!

example,ok i have a super10 mk2 i bought it used for 300 quid,there 750 in the shop so i want 720? does that sound right?

you need to stop interfering with sellers ads,if you think the guns are to expensive just give them a miss.

andrew

im with andrew, dont worry about it, if some one has a spot on gun hardly used and wants £50 less than what he paid for it thats fair enough, some one may be glad of the £50 saving, and like anything else, some thing is only worht what someone is prepaired to pay for it, then most people put extra on so they can knock it off,

saying that i can see where your coming from with some of the prices, but there the people who dont sell there stuff,

and as already said, buyer beware, they should do there homework on prices via other sites and gun trader, thats what i do when i want to buy something, and people who dont are lazy and its there own fault if they pay over the top,

a bit harsh but just my opinion, no offence to anyone,

lee

andrewluke,i dont interfer just simply make a offer of what i think the rifles worth,

if you was buying your 1st gun off here and i had a bsa lightning at 700 quid and you thought i like that and bought it got home and found out it was 200 to buy would you be happy??

a used gun is a used gun and you cant expect the price of new for te price of used SIMPLE!!

andrew i made a offer as i knew it was way over priced so and you know where you can stick your interfer specialy how i see you do nothin but interfer and waste time.

i guess adrewluke one of them was your guns yea?theres a difference with interfering and making a offer.

some people may not know the prices and i explain, i offer what i offer because thats what it is worth and what im willing to pay.

if you think you can sell used gun for more then they are new i think your taking liberties and deffo takin liberties out the person you sell it too.

so i got a tuned up s10,i payed 300,spent 100 on tuning,there 750 in the shop,mines mint shall i ask for 800 then thro a 20 quid scope in saying i payed some thin well over 100 when really i payed 20 quid.

NOT POSTING AGAIN,YOU GUYS OBVIOUSLY THINK ITS OK TO RIP FELLOW MEMBERS IF YOU CAN,PAT YOUR SELVES ON THE SHOULDERS

sales sectio need sorting out,i would never in my life rip a newie by asking over the price of new for a used rifle and to me that makes them scumm simple as,i want be repying again as it seems people want to jump on there mates back and stff.

dont forget i will be here 1 day and i could save your bacon but i wil leave you to get ripped off

martin,

i know there are con men out there, but i dont think that people putting what seems a high price on there gun is ment to try pip people or newbies off, i take great pride in my guns and keep them nice and clean thenm after every use, and if ever i did come to sell any of them then like 99% of people i would like as much back for it as i could, and i know if im asking to much then it wont sell, but what sort of person buys the first gun he sees for sale without checking out other prices, i know where your coming from with this and i know there are people who take the **** with there prices but its the way of the world im affraid, but as has been said if i see a gun thats to high priced than i just move on, and i dont think you not posting on hear again is the answer as every members input is valid, im sure we all hope to hear from you again soon,

cheers, Lee

Buying used guns is always difficult, especially without having sight of them, condition is obviously a very important factor but as a general rule, (from my observations) a used gun in reasonable condition is worth about 60% of the new value. Other factors are of course availability and modifications which can substantially increase the price. Yes there are some silly prices out there but in the end you'll only get what others are willing to pay and I doubt whether anyone is going to shell out there hard earned dosh without research. Be careful out there, it's a jungle.!!

thing is, if you have an overpriced gun,it just wont sell,then watch it come down drastically in price with continous bumpin from seller,majority of us know what a gun is worth as their is enough gun sites to check prices,you want to sell a gun nowadays its got to be cheap, :good:

I guess what would be helpfull would be to have a sticky somewhere (say in gun sales?) which gives 'guide' prices for both new and used, like an 'aim to pay' figure as a lot of magazines give nowdays for all kinds of products. It would be really helpful to us newbies as there are so many different brands and models I have found it really difficult to gauge what is a good price and whats not. If someone has volunteered to monitor and update this 'aim to pay' section then brilliant, let them do it I say :good:

Anything that encourages honest and fair pricing for both new and used guns would benefit us all in the long term, the idea of 'aim to pay' is great because, for example if a dealer is doing a good price on a new gun and we are made aware, it will encourage healthy competition between the other dealers. win win :hmm:

Having a pinned topic on such info would be hard top keep updated and accurate. Prices will vary as and when rifles go in and out of fashion etc. Who's also to say that the prices we apply are right. As has been said, I normally base a second hand value of around 60% the new value. We could put that in the T&C's.

But at the end of the day, if your a newbie, chances are you have researched a specific rifle and have this in mind to buy. You will have come to the airgun forum section and posted a topic such as, how much is rifle xxx worth. You'll then be scouring the internet sales sections for said gun with price in mind.

None of us want to see anyone get cheated in a purchase, newbie or otherwise. However, we must remain realistic in what we can and can not do. At the end of the day, the forum must remain unbiased towards both the purchaser and the seller.

Could it be that,when an air rifle is purchased say ,for £259 new ok no problem but then you will need a silencer another £40 out of your back pocket then the delivery £15 then the bag £20 ok so it is sometimes just the gun but 99% this will include a silencer as with all pcp they usually need, one so if you are saying that they knock £50 only for the price of a new gun does this price also include the purchase of a silencer if you get what i mean .

Who is to say what a gun is worth anyway?

Would you work on a %age of the new price?

My F3 was 1800 quid when I bought it 2 years ago, they are now nearly 3K. So I could sell it for £800 less than a new one and still make a profit.

As everyone else has said, If you don't like the price walk straight past.

If you see a gun that you like which you consider to be "over-priced" it may be because the seller has left some "haggle-room", so that you can make a cheeky offer and they can reduce the price accordingly and clinch the sale. E.g. gun is £500, you counter offer £400 and seller offers £450 which is what they wanted for the gun in the first place. You agree, deal done. :good:

It is totally up to the seller what to advertise their gun for and it is up to the buyer to make sure they only spend what they percieve to be the right price.

My advice when pricing a gun:

1 )How much is it for new including all the accessories you want? (silencer, scope, mounts, bells and whistles)

2) Look on gun sales sites.

3) Look at magazine adverts

4) Make a list of each gun with the price and accesories split out so you know what you are paying for each bit.

5) Decide what you want to pay.

6) Go and make an offer for one of the guns advertised.

7) If the seller doesn't agree to sell go and find another one.

Anyone with sufficient PC savvy to be on a forum also has enough intelligence to go look around via Google. I'm not really clued up but the first thing I do when I see something interesting for sale on the 'net is right click the title, save and paste it into my browser. It aint hard to compare prices with a PC.

Anyone naive enough to pay stupid money for something probably deserves it and anyone selling at stupid high prices probably don't deserve to sell it. Just sometimes though we hit a bad spot and may feel it wise to try and raise some cash if we can get a good price for something we are reluctant to sell.

Caveat emptor is Latin for "let the buyer beware"

Caveat venditor is Latin for "let the seller beware"

Both are applicable in any sale. Would those who shout about the 'high' price of a gun actually say to someone selling; 'er, mate your price is far too low, I think I should pay you more.' In 99% of cases I don't think so. I was talking to a guy the other day who proudly stated that he had only paid £70 for a scope worth over £270 because the seller had no idea of what it was actually worth. Well to be frank, good luck to him as long as when he was asked, he told no lies and the seller set the price. The seller, before he went into the transaction, should have researched the second hand price. Similarly anyone paying over the odds when the internet is at their fingertips deserves to get burned. Having said that I have no time for unscrupulous sellers who misrepresent what they are selling or deliberately lie about the value of something when asked a genuine question. I think we should ler things lie and leave those involved in a sale to get on with it, for who are any of us NOT involved to set a price for someone else. Advice can be freely given IF ASKED for but not until, as I consider that unwarranted interference in someone elses business is definately not on.