Both eyes open or one eye shut?

seisobs

After about a year shooting pigeon, crows and clays I cannot get out of the habbit of keeping my left eye shut when shooting (Beretta silver pigeon 1V) My mate is a clay pigeon range instructor and I go out regularly with him on the clay range.

I have no problem in hitting clays with one eye shut but when I keep both open I couldn't hit a barn door.

I'd appreciate any comments / help on this subject.

It just comes down to preference really, if you shoot better with one eye shut then go for it, if you shoot better with both open then again go for it.

I also use eft eye shut although I have been looking down my shotgun reently with both open and I got right eye dominant so I could try both open lol, whats advntage does it offer if any ... ?

Cheers :good:

Keeping both eyes open mean you can judge distance easier and you can also pick up birds earlier. Your eyes work as a pair and if you shut one you put strain on the other. You are better off to use a blinder if you have to shut an eye.

If you shoot off the shoulder of the dominant eye then you should be able to keep both eyes open without any issues. If you shoot off the right shoulder but are left eye dominant then you need a blinder or close one eye.

There are several people I know who start with both eyes open and then close one when they fire.

I've been very inconsistant. I was origonally told by an instructor that I was left eye dominant, so I bought a left handed shotty. Being right handed it was a bit strange at first, but I struggled on. 18 months later I have now been told by a good friend and BASC shooting coach that I have no dominant eye, so I have to close an eye. Now hitting a lot more clays and pigeons.

I've always kept both eyes open, except when i pull the trigger i close both eyes, it's a very scary big bang after all. :good:

I agree - it gets jolly noisy.

You should get a pair of these, they helped me enormously. Real fox fur :hmm:

Doesn't it just. And bravo on the recommendation, i have a friend of a friend that has those. He also uses one of these for eye dominance issues:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

post-3070-1222949939.jpg

Edited by Markio

The reason a shotgun shooter wants to have two eyes open is because the target is moving.

There are three variables in a target - speed, direction, and forward allowance resulting.

To get the maximum information on the first two as quickly as possible to the brain, in order to calculate the third variable, requires both eyes to be open.

Once speed and direction are established, there is no reason why using tunnel vision form just one eye cannot be used to apply the lead accurately.

In set disciplines like skeet, or disciplines with narrow angles of fire like DTL, one eye shooters can learn each target ( there are just 14 variations in skeet, and 5 "sectors" in DTL to learn), and be highly successful, but in game shooting, or highly variable disciplines, Sporting / FITASC/ ZZ etc, the two eyed shooter will have the advantage.

If you are having problems with master eye, best train yourself to start gun down for clear vision over the gun, see the target with two eyes, then close down to just one ( THE ONE OVER THE GUN!!!) as your gun hits the shoulder in the mount and when you actually apply lead and shoot.

Jerry

Thanks for the info guy's, I'll try and keep both eyes open then shut my left eye just before I pull the trigger.

Jake

The way my clay shooting's been going I think I'm going to try both eyes shut to see how I get on!

:hmm:

Nial

It has to be 2 eyes open......when you learn to do it. Most people think that shooting is as shown in the movies but we know different. I always presumed it was 1 eye shut untill taken aside and had it explained. Its hard to relearn but once you let go and feel the force, it becomes second nature. About 3 weeks ago I was at DTL shoot and tried using 1 eye and it felt totally alien. Take a bead with 1 eye and them open both................It becomes second nature. When i started to shoot over decoy pigeons I had to learn all over again. Try to follow a bird with one eye and I missed, when a pigeon swooped past, lift the gun sweep through and they went sailing into the field, head back. I then thought back. There was not time to close one eye , look at the bird and let the gun and your brain do the rest.