.17 HMR or .22 Rimfire

funky

.17HME OR .22 RIMFIRE  

66 members have voted

1. 1. .17HME OR .22 RIMFIRE

• .17 HMR
    • .22 RIMFIRE

Applying for my FAC to help keep the vermin down on my permissions. Mostly rabbits I know that the Firearms unit promote the .17 as the round tends to fragment rather than ricochets and that the .22 ammo is cheaper but what do you people think.

I am also aware of the flat trajectory from the .17 and have spoken to my local Gunsmith who's knowledge on these matters go without saying but your views would be appreciated

Apply for both stating quietness for the .22lr and longer range and safety for the 17.

Get the 17HMR first as this is the one you will probably use almost exclusively unless you shoot in a really noise sensitive area. As you have already noted the round is safer and more effective. As for ammo price, it probably wont matter unless you are shooting umpteen rounds an outing.

The .22LR has been around for years, and though a capable round, it's frowned on by many old timers as it has a reputation for shoot throughs and ricochets. An improved option was well overdue.

If noise IS an issue consider spending more than usual on a really good sound moderator - some are better than others but the better ones cost much more.

Try someone else's LR for the odd time if you ever feel one would do anything for you.

Edited by Dave-G

What range are you shooting the bunnies from atm? Do you currently need to have the added safety of a 17HMR? What I mean is what sort of area do you shoot. If there isnt really the need for the 17HMR then just stick to the .22 17HMR ammo is about £11 for 50. Depends how much ammo your going to use as well.

I found the 17HMR to be a great rifle but expensive to feed. the .22 Is ideal for me now on the bunnies and at approx 4p a round I dont care about ammo cost

IF you dond't want to pur both down then work it out based on where you will be using the rifles.

The .17HMR is loud so won't allow you to work in close proximity of your quarry where the .22LR will. Consider your backstop and anything else that factors in, like distance from residential areas etc.

Have a read of my signature, I have a fair collection of rifles and shotguns to choose from. It's very rare I use anything but the HMR for vermin, it's a brilliant round! You pay a little more for ammo, but unless noise is a real issue the HMR is the best by far. I'm not vastly experienced, but using a .22lr in the field frightens me. Every other round I fire rings off into the night, so much so I don't take it hunting any more and its use is confined to the range!

Hi and thanks for the replies. Firstly about where i will be shooting, there is a foot path that run parallel to the spot where most of the vermin rabbits eat the crops it is technically a bowl in the field about 100 yrds from one end to the other, with a wooded foot path running north to south down the centre of the bowl with the foot path in the wooded gully.

i will be using a silencer as i do not want to spook the bunnies but i will be shooting from about 80 to 100 yrds. I.E from either end of the bowl north or south.

I have put both the .17 and the .22 on my application but i am leaning towards the .17HMR as accuracy at range is paramount and of course hitting power.

I have been using my Daystate X2 but it is difficult to get within range specially at night with no wind. the rabbits have eaten an acre and a half of wheat. I.E emptied the bowl :good: and MR farmer is rightly ****** of as this has cost him he reckons about £600.00 so i need to be able to bag a good few from a good range sniper style. :good: and hopefully get the numbers down.

Thanks again for your replies and i will let you now what i get in about a months time if my application is successful.

I will check this thread every day or so and would appreciate any comments. All the best FUNKY :lol:

Edited by funky

Put down for both as stated.

We shoot with both and normally use the .17 through the day into early evening and the .22 later at night. Where we shoot is a huge valley with a village further down and the sound does travel. Plus on an evening the farmer is generally starting to settle down and doesn't want to be halfway through Eastenders and hearing shots going off every two minutes. :good:

The .22 with an SAK or Parker hale mod on is very quiet. I have the .17 with an SAK mod on and it still gives off a healthy crack. I have only had about 10 ricochets in well over a thousand shots too with the .22. So whilst I wouldn't really want any they aren't as bad as madeout to be IMO.

For me the only down side to a 17hmr is meat damage ! I would like to eat what iv shot and the 17hmr is a bit of an animal on impact ! :good:

It is a potent round and will damage meat but its pin point accuracy (in the right hands) means that head shots are the norm, time after time. :good:

It really is circumstancial! If you remove all the circumstances

Noise

Cost

Range

Meat Damage

Nighttime/daytime shooting

richochets

then the 17 is the superior round, however they all play a part in what you need and lean the choice one way or the other!

Being a student/just finished student I dont have much cash so the cost is a big factor, also most my permission is on a golf course so the noise is a big factor!

all depends on what you need mate, although even the best recomend everyone starts with a good ol 22!

Bought a 17 a month ago, first gun out the cabinet, what i like about it is, when out sorting rabbits if a fox pops its head up i have enough gun with in reason to take the sod!

Ive now taken foxes with both and I think the .22lr killed more efficiently, they both did the trick but the hmr needed a second coupe de grace.

I have only just got my hmr and love its flat trajectory and accuracy, you can still get ricochets but not as many and meat damage is huge if you hit them in the body.

The .22lr, if you use it for a while and learn its limits is an effective bunny basher out to 100 yards....dont believe all the bull you hear about its effective range being 50-60. I have bashed bunnies up to 99 yards with mine....all witnessed.

I now have a hmr and so far the furthest shot I took was not much more!!!

If you go for both the .22lr will gather dust unless you require whisper quiet shots. Get a cz .22lr with a sak moderator...whisper quiet!!!

As for noise on the hmr, I have seen someone with a mod about 18" long and as thick as a coke can....and it was still as noisy as mine!!!

What ever you decide you will have fun. :good:

• 2 weeks later...

just reading this as im still thinking of aplying for my fac, but im still doing my home work and trying to get some sutable land to shoot on so i dont get a knockback, and just had a couple of questions, i know it is said that you should spend on your scope what you spent on your gun, but what will a good scope do that a not so good one wont, and what sort of things do the 22lr bullets ricochet off and why,and can you get a decent mod for the 17hmr to make it a bit quieter as iv hurd you can and you cant,

cheers, Lee

Lee a decent scope will give you a much clearer image and far better light gathering properties. This will be very useful come lamping at dusk or at night. :yes:

As for the .22LR bouncing bomb, it will skip off of most things if the angle is right, hard ground, puddles of water, even a rabbits bonce! Its because of the bullets shape and the fact its made entirely from soft lead.

Decent mods for the HMR include the Sak, ASE Utra, DM80, etc. all will give very good performance, but none will remove the supersonic crack of the bullet. In an open field, I liken the short sharp sound to that of a ruler being slapped on a desk.