NO INSURANCE !!

rec-baller

QUESTION___ would you shoot alonside somebody who is,nt insured :yp:? :oops:

shaun

I probably have and will probably do so again.

I spent a lot of my life as an uninsured shooter, I was a member of WAGBI in the early 70's, but I don't recall them having any insurance cover.

When they became the BASC in 1981 I didn't renew my membership (like a few other wildfowler/rough shooters).

It must have been in the early 90's that I joined BASC (and qualified for insurance cover).

I regularly go out with an uninsured shooter (our forum copper). He's safe and if he messes up (not likely), how's it my problem? I have complete faith in his ability, and if I didn't I wouldn't shoot with him. I know it's seen as risky, and I myself like to be insured, but having insurance is much less important than being a safe shot. I'd much rather come back in one piece from a trip with my mate than come home with no foot and some compensation from a muppet with insurance!

I have gone to the extent and expense of acquiring insurance ,and I expect ALL others who come to shoot with me to have acquired the same. Just in case an accident does happen. what would you say if he asked you to take the blame as you were insured. MATE!!!!!!!

:oops:

Dave K

Because I do virtually all my shooting on public foreshore I can't always choose who might be shooting 50 yards away from me. That's why I am glad that virtually all permit schemes insist upon BASC membership so that anyone shooting there (legally) is covered by insurance.

But even if you do know the guys you are shooting with - and trust their gun handling and safety consciousness implicitly - genuine accidents can still happen, so it is always better if anyone who goes shooting is insured against third party risks.

I think that you have to look at in a selfish way . I f your mate did acidently shoot you and was not insured who would your dependants claim off . All so there is the possible problem of damage to livestock and farm buildings . He wouldnt come out with me . Harnser .

I have gone to the extent and expense of acquiring insurance ,and I expect ALL others who come to shoot with me to have acquired the same. Just in case an accident does happen. what would you say if he asked you to take the blame as you were insured. MATE!!!!!!!

;)

Dave K

:oops: and :yp: It's stoopid not to have insurance when shooting.

Hi boys-

I look after all the insurance claims at BASC and I can assure you that every person who causes an accident thought and indeed had shown up to that point that they were safe and responsible with a firearm.

I have never yet, in 13 years seen a shooting claim come in where people were messing about with guns or doing anything at all that you me or probably most people on the wonderful forum have not seen or done themselves.

It takes just one split second, one slip of judgement, one silly little thing, one bit of bad luck and two lives are altered for ever.

To shoot without insurance is totally wrong and totally irresponsible and it makes me sick that some people are so bloody arrogant or pig headed to think that they do not need insurance ‘because they are safe’ rubbish!

And god help you and you family if you do cause an accident and you have no insurance- you will still get sued but you will have to pay out of your own pocket, this may ruin you like…but what about the other guy.

This is not a call for you all to flock to join BASC!

Join which ever organisation fits your needs, there are plenty to choose from and the cost is from £20 upwards – so there is NO EXCUSE

Claims on the BASC insurance:

On average we get 60 claims a year - many are small property damage claims - telephone wires, windows that sort of thing. These are very easy and quick to deal with.

The more expensive claims involve injury - and these will range from say £50-75,000 for loss of eyes, figures etc up to several hundred thousand for more significant injury. These can take ages to settle in full because there is a need for medical reports, and goodness knows what, so these larger claims tend not to be sorted in one go, there are interim payments as you go along with one final 'lump sum' at the end of it all when the medics know how great the resulting level of disability is.

David

128,000 - so that works out at about one claim per 2100 members per year.

That's why the insurance is so cheap - it works out at about £12 of the subscription. But if you get hit by a £10-million pound claim, then you are going to be very glad of it. Even a £100,000 claim could mean that you'd have to sell your house, car and guns if you weren't insured.

Sorry for the delay in responding - been out beating.

Sorry should have been clearer, we pay out on average on 60 claims per year.

We do not pay out, on average on 4 claims per year.

In almost all cases the reason for not paying out are:

1. The third party failed to make a formal claim, i.e. they threatened the BASC member they were going to sue, the member fills in the claim form, and nothing more is heard from the guy threatening to sue.

2. The third party goes through with the claim, the insurers ask for simple proof of damage / loss such as bill, hospital report, witness statement etc, but nothing is forthcoming.

3. There was no cover under the policy. For example just this week ac claim was rejected because the member making it was horse riding at the time, and has nothing to do with shooting, fishing, gundog work, conservation of falconry. We do not cover horse riding as an activity.

Sometimes we do pay out but the third party denies all knowledge, a classic was a guy who got shot, but not too badly injured on a driven day. The shooter was a BASC member and the beater (the guy who was shot) got himself a lawyer and sued- quite right too.

A year later the shoot captain called me up and was hopping mad – he had just seen the beater who had been shot least season and he had told the shoot captain that the BASC insurers has written to him to say they were not going ot pay!

I thought this odd- as I have not heard of any such claim being rejected in the reports, so I made a call to the claim manager. It took a few minutes but she came back with the file, confirming that over £10,000 had been paid to the beater as compensation and (as normal) all legal fees had been covered also. I guess the guy wanted to keep his windfall to himself- apparently his wife was non the wiser either!

David