Pgeons everywhere

Topgunners

I was travelling around the countryside this week and the pesky pigeons have finally eaten ALL of the berries and nuts in england and are now hammering onto the rape.

I was in oxfordshire and there were at least 1,500 on ONE field of rape and many smaller pockets elsewhere.

Hundreds in gloucestershire and many hundreds in coventry and warwickshire.

Can't wait to get on them tomorrow and ALL week-end.

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Shoooooooting ALL !!!!!

T G,

I shoot around Hatton mostly, I shoot a couple of farms stretching from the five ways island to the waterman pub ish.

was there today, got there at first light and immediately got a call so had to rush off home again, :oops:

by the time I got back it was about 9.30 and I wanted to set up quickly so I chose a field with a predictable flight line (usually), by 12 noon I had 1 pigeon and was bored stiff so I packed up and went for a drive around. :/

I went to another set of fields and saw a flock of around 200 feeding on the rape, a quick call to the farmer to let him know where I was setting up and I was off,

I was set up by 1pm ish and had the first pigeon by 5 past, packed up at 3.30 with a bag of 28 so not a totally wasted day. :lol:

Yo vermin dropper. I also shoot round hatton and many other areas.

Between my mate and myself we have around 20,000 acres to cover and probably 5,000 are rape fields. Big job.

Anyway, was out yesterday and today.

Again I saw hundreds of them on friday and set up in the field with a dozen deeks and 3 hours on had shot 7 and beheld an amazing site i've not seen before.

I had just shot a pigeon and it was twitching for a few seconds when all of a sudden from behind me in the trees a BIG BUZZARD swooped down and grabbed a PLASTIC half-shell deek and flew off with it ;only to drop it 20 yds past my pattern and flew on.

(inconsiderate ***. I had to go and retrieve it as it landed belly up.)

The only thing was all the hundreds that were there when i arrived had flew to the other side of the road onto one of my other farms . I packed up and moved onto the other rape fileds and they PROMPTLY flew back.

So, today there were 6 of us who split up into 3 x hides and the most of them PROMPTLY flew off elsewhere!!!! DANG!!!!!!!!

Try again tomorrow eh?

If at first you don't suckseed then you know you ain't a pigeon. *****

They are starting hit the fields in my are areas now, and are starting to flock up nicely.

Had a couple a couple of hours at first light yesturday, as darkness lifted I clocked a flock of about 400 flitting around in a wood literally 150 yard from where I was hidden up.........with the odd one dropping in, and flying back.

They woundnt buy the deeks though!!!!..................As soon as I packed up, and started to drive away, they started to come down in the masses...... I think it was maybe too early to go out, as gernerally my woody shooting is done in the afternoon; but it was hard frost, and I thought theyd be feeding early doors to warm up!.................. **** law or what!!.....................

However.... :lol: I will be the victor next time!!!! ;)

Paul in North Lincs.

They are starting hit the fields in my are areas now, and are starting to flock up nicely.

:lol: Not quite sure why you say "flock up nicely" Paul as the general opinion is that the shooting is more interesting when they don't flock up.

A flock of 2 or 300 on a field is very exciting when you see it but 1 shot and 2 or 300 birds are gone, often not to return.

Much more productive to a good days shooting is when they are in 2,s and 3,s and keep coming in at various times instead of arriving en masse and leaving the same way.

That's my view anyway. ;)

Yes gents..... I totally agree you..... :lol: 'obviously' we dont like to see the large flocks settling in one go, and getting spooked....and never to be seen again!!!.............

However, ........it is 'nice' to see the birds hitting the fields again (from a shooters point of view) at long last........... and lets remeber, that from the formed 'flocks' come the pioneers, the 2's and 3's, and in turn, the distinguished flight lines.

Paul in North Lincs.

• 2 weeks later...