Driven Days

Blackbart

this does happen, I know of one driven pheasent shoot in the northwest which charges £25 + vat for everything that hits the ground and is picked up , once the keeper even borrowed a shotgun off one of the guns to shoot a squirrel which was then added to the bag......................nooooooooooooo need for it.

my syndicate charges guests an amount based on the total of birds down, be it phesant, partridge, duck, snipe, pigeon whatever, it works thus £40 basic charge £1 for every bird so if 80 birds down total cost is £120.

cheers KW

my syndicate charges guests an amount based on the total of birds down, be it phesant, partridge, duck, snipe, pigeon whatever, it works thus £40 basic charge £1 for every bird so if 80 birds down total cost is £120.

cheers KW

That sounds a lot fairer than shooting 10 pigeons and being stuck with a bill for £220, and presumably 10 birds knocked off your target for the day?

The 'terms and conditions' if you like of the day should be spelled out clearly at the point of booking, if not they should be included in the welcome and safety chat before the day starts.

I have done that many driven days, but even our walk and stand days start with what you can and can't shoot speach by the head keeper.

If it isn't mentioned in either of those I would say you have the right to be a bit miffed.

We only ever charge if a pigeon is the first bird that is shot on a drive, as a fine because it's not allowed (along with any other non-gamebird). This is because it's bloody annoying when a bored gun starts bashing away on a pigeon and scares the intire drive before it's started

tip the 'keeper as normal

I wouldn't tip any keeper who charged me £22/bird for shooting pigeons.

A fine on shooting pigeons before the first game bird is out isn't a bad idea though. The number of drives I've seen where guns start popping away at stupidly high pigeons before the drive has started properly and all the partridge dissappear out of the back :welcomeani:

I have seen this happen on a few commercial shoots that I have been on. Luckily I was not paying for the day and I also didn't shoot the pigeon either. I think worse than this is when one of the beaters dogs pegs a bird or two and they then get put in the game cart and count towards the total.

I was talking to one of the beaters today who beats on a few commercial shoots and his dog pegged 5 pheasants that were all put in the game cart at £30 + VAT a bird.

• 2 weeks later...