BISLEY 2009

kip270

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it all seems very random, I have taken the BASC test and got the card to prove it, but it has no photo.

I bet range bookings have taken a massive hit, I might book a target just to enjoy not being surrounded by weirdo's in soldier 95 costumes.

And it all has to be done again next year :lol:

What a palaver.

So let's just go along for the weekend and not shoot and get drunk instead, or go to a range that isn't affected by the MOD

might be having a drive down :lol:

I know it is a lot of work for someone but it is possible to start up an official rifle and pistol club with home office approval. There seems to be lots of support and interest from various members and if one were to take the reins and sort this out I am sure it would work. I am a member of the airgunbbs forum and they did this just last year and have just taken new members. We meet up on either of two scheduled shooting days in each month, shoot various guns from .22 rimmie up to the range maximum centrefires at various distances out to 600. You could then all get your range competency certificates through the club each year.

Alternatively apply to be members of the bbs national rifle and pistol club, you can get your range certification as soon as you are observed as safe (usually one shoot), all for 25 pounds a year

Just a thought

If anyone is interested then please feel free to PM me and I can put you in contact with the membership secretary.

All the best

Steve b

I think that this bloody competency certificate will harm the NRA/NSC more than they anticipate. Everyone I speak to has a different take on it. It does seem to be annoying a lot of people.

Anyone know how one would go about obtaining a Competency Certificate, maybe the NRA/NSC would market such a program. How long would it take to pass? How much would it cost?

Cheers

Phil

If bisley 2009 can be arranged i shall go along to have a bit of fun and to meet up with some of you old boys . Unfortunately i have found the N.R.A. to difficult to deal with over the last 10 years or so .They seem to me to be a bunch of dinosaurs who just want to lay around in the sun and not bother to much about shooting . I am sure they would rather bisley was sold off for house building to save them the trouble to cater for shooters . Sorry if i sound negative about the N.R.A. but it did used to be better run .

Harnser .

Anyone know how one would go about obtaining a Competency Certificate, maybe the NRA/NSC would market such a program. How long would it take to pass? How much would it cost?

Cheers

Phil

You can do an NRA asessment for whatever firearms you want to be certified for. It takes about 10 minutes per type and I believe that it is free although don't quote me on that

This is the very last time I am providing this link honest!

http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/certifica...on.asp?site=NRA

MC I am sure I have read the cert is free to NRA members.

I did mine with BASC and all they did was watch us shoot the static deer test.

Which if you think about it, is one of the most dangerous things you can do at a rifle range if you get it wrong.

I do hope that its gets sorted this year as its the 2nd time now that i didnt get to show off at 300 & 500 yards.

I can do the 100 and 200 on permisions but further than that its starts to be a problem :good:

oh!!! one more thing

I am thinking of getting a mate to bring his cannon down aswell, i am sure it will be ok :shifty: ill leave him on the 100yrd range over the week end.

ill be there and hopefully bringing something a bit bigger than the .223 as ive joined works rifle club so should have a range competence cert by then its only £30 a year and the have a indoor range so i thought why not.....

just a thought to get a range competence cert do you have to have target shooting on your cert as i was told by fao that i shouldnt be shooting targets as its not on my ticket....i can only shoot them for zeroing the rifle...

Edited by SPARKIE

• 3 weeks later...

Just a thought for you..........

IF rifle shooting is a problem because you dont have "competency certificates" you could always take shotguns and do some clay shooting?

You dont heed a competency certificate for that unless you are shooting FAC shotgun / slug!

If you make your meet up at the right time (as an example the Pheonix meeting in May) there will be a few trade stands and you will get more out of it if you decide you cant shoot - shop instead?

:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a new rifle coming which seems just right for the Bisley benches because it's a breech loader :good:

This is not to say I have had a change of heart and decided to go modern, it's still a flintlock :yes:

Presume I am considered incompetant to shoot it at Bisley so this is probably pie in the sky. Doubt anyone would be able to sign me off for such a bizzarre thing :blink: