A mini survey; join in.

eugene molloy

norfolk.enchance asked in another thread about ivy berries and if the pigeons feeding on them was a regional thing.

Answer...don't know, but how about we find out. In the next couple of weeks, if you get the chance to open a crop or two, post the results here. If we each make a couple of reports we should get a fair snapshot.

Just a quick one (as the actress said to the Bishop) I don't believe it's neccessarily a regional issue; ivy grows all over the country. However it's my observation that most ivy grows on oaks, so where you have a lot of oaks you get ivy and pigeon feeding on it; and vicky verky if few oak woods are present in your county then the birds have less opportunity. But let's see eh?

I shot four flighting yesterday evening; to kick the ball off here's the result..

Area....South Shropshire

No 1..........2/3 rds full crop, exclusively sprouting acorns.

No 2..........Bung full (stuffed) crop, mostly beech mast plus a few ivy berries.

No 3..........2/3 full crop, wheat plus a dozen ivy berries.

No 4 .........Full crop, about half ivy berries, then acorns and beech mast equally

Between all four there wasn't a much greenstuff as would fill a teaspoon.

Edited by eugene molloy

I went out on Monday ( Hatton- West Midlands) it was very still and quite foggy, there wasn't much moving so I just wandered the hedges of a couple of fields where I know there are a few sitty trees and a couple of fairly reliable flight lines.

I shot a dozen birds most of which had around a 3/4 full crop, roughly split......

50%.....rape

25%.....wheat

10%.....acorns

5%.......ivy berries

10%.....mixed

and 1 bird was full of "sweet corn" ??? :blink:

Shropshire/Staffordshire

Feeding on woodland edges, not flocking, max numbers observed together 20, more 2 to 4, shot some missed some, crops contained acorns,beechmast, majority.Sunday observed, shot and lifted birds off Ivy, crops contained mostly Ivy some had wheat in them (not much) this was 9am cold and miserable day. Hope this helps a little.Salopian.

Thanks lads, that's interesting already.

Not much sign of the Midland birdies getting really stuck into the rape, though some are clearly; but a fair to middling show of ivy berries too.

Come on the Jocks, Geordies, Tykes, Taffs, 'Ampshire 'Ogs and Janners; let's know the form.

Eug

VD. Which Hatton, Warwick or where? I guess the "sweetcorn" was from an old maize game strip.

Edited by eugene molloy

VD and Ern,

I know "The Boot". My chum and I used to drop in for a pint on Sundays when we were fishing The Grand Onion above Hatton flight.

Wroxall? My first girlfriend was head girl at Wroxall Abbey School (does it still exist?) She lived in Chadwick End which ain't so far away.

Eug.

Edited by eugene molloy

Tykes report.

The 15 I got today had various quantities of OSR in them, and that is all.

If I explain, where I shot, there are hardly any woods nearby and a good 1/3 of the farmland is covered with OSR. They haven't got much else of a choice, at this time of year. But I'm going out tomorrow, all being well, to some more land that is virtually covered in woods, and that might be another story.

:blink:

Ryan,

Where were you shooting? we need to know because we are tying to build a national picture.

The rest of you nerks...thanks. But keep posting, what you see is important to making all the bits fit together.

Eug

PS ...Sniper; keep up the good work, and thanks.

Edited by eugene molloy

Sleaford, Lincs.. Roost shoot sat, dropped 11 most birds stuffed with OSR, 3 had a smattering of ivy berry and drilled bean.

Shot 33 today(tue) over drilled bean, I have just finished checking the crops, 5 were full of ivy berry the rest were a mixture of OSR and maize. Not a sign of beech mast (thank god).

Shot 6 Saturday 12th Feb. Location Nr Holt Norfolk

2 empty

1 few bits of maize and half full of rape

1 stuffed with maize (local game cover crop)

1 stuffed with corn ( from a hopper presumably)

1 1 acorn and about half dozen ivy berries.

When I arrived at the wood a few birds got off anf old tree covered in Ivy, maybe they were feeding on the berries?

Birds tend to feed hard on the ivy when the weather is cr*p and there is nothing much else on the table in my experience. Hope this helps.