sea gulls

Ozzy Fudd

my office looks over a sort of marina and theres a hundred sea gulls flying around it at the minute. does anyone know what the current law is for shooting them? ive looked up a few posts here and found this one

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...t=0&start=0

but i was wondering if its changed, or if ni is different than the rest of the uk? im not going to be shooting them near the office, but i remember last year we were driving up to my mates house and noticed a field we have permission to shoot in was swarming with crows, we swerved the car into the gateway and legged it into the field, firing as we went :lol:

when the crows took off we saw there were a couple of dozen seagulls mixed in as well; we had a bit of a panic incase wed hit one as we thought they might be protected, so to save any future oh god moments, does anyone know?

Whats the point in shooting them? Just for the hell of it?

i was expecting you to say something mate, going by the thread i found! :blush:

no its not for the hell of it, far from it in fact. now im not sure what theyre eating habits are (though the field we saw them in last year had just been seeded if i remember right), its just to know what the law is, so if we do find some causing damage we know if we can do something or not.

again ill stress i dont know what theyre habits are, its just one of those things that pop into your head when your staring out the window in work... :lol:

The three species you are allowed to kill under Natural Englands General Licenses are the Great and Lesser Black-backed gulls and the Herring gull.

Where, when, how and why you do it are a different matter. Personally as i'm walking down the sea front and one of the little (actually MASSIVE) ******** comes after me chips i wish i could just whip out the old 12 bore and see if they want to eat THAT! :lol:

Mark

Their eating any bugs or any other **** they can find, not the seeds. You'll get a lot of sport shooting seagulls.......not.

ah now dont be like that, i never said it was sport, its pest control and as i said i dont know what their habits are - now youve told me ill leave them well alone, just looked suspicious :lol:

The three species you are allowed to kill under Natural Englands General Licenses are the Great and Lesser Black-backed gulls and the Herring gull.

Where, when, how and why you do it are a different matter. Personally as i'm walking down the sea front and one of the little (actually MASSIVE) ******** comes after me chips i wish i could just whip out the old 12 bore and see if they want to eat THAT! :good:

Mark

cheers :blush:

I know of a partridge shoot were the chicks are hammered by gulls every year. I also watch both them and the magpies trotting along the neighbours roof picking housesparrows out of the nest. If ever there was an appropriate use of the term vermin, it certainly applies to gulls. I also believe they carry pretty nasty deseases, including botulism, so I would'nt be lifting them up in hurry.

Where, when, how and why you do it are a different matter. Personally as i'm walking down the sea front and one of the little (actually MASSIVE) ******** comes after me chips i wish i could just whip out the old 12 bore and see if they want to eat THAT! :yes:

Mark

At blackpool they take the WHOLE BAG off you mate must be 2ft tall ( MUST HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH SELLAFIELD UP THE ROAD) :angry:

Living on the outskirts of London, Gulls are everywhere. On the bin bags, near any water, any school... really anywhere people are. If one was stuuuuuupid enough to get within 50yards of me when I had a gun, I would take great pleasure in knowing there was one less to worry about. Obviously some posters here have never been **** on by these noisey, ugly, brasen ****.

- rant over.

I was out driving about today doing a recce on some land i have permission for in Kent and all was pretty quiet, over 1600 acres of land and only a few pigeons about nothing major but went to my favourite spot on the brow of a hill and there were about 100 gulls sitting on the ground eating with a good few more circling above and the thought popped into my mind do they eat the shoots or are they after bugs.

So do they eat the rape/plant shoots or are they bug hunting? anyone know? i looked on the basc website and it identified these gulls as being ok to shoot. This is new land for me and never come across this many gulls. I suppose really i should ask the landowner if he wants them dead, only thing is pigeons and rabbits i can sell, seagulls i can`t so i`m wasting cartridge money shooting them but if i`m asked to shoot them i am kind of obliged to or risk losing my permission.

So do they eat the rape/plant shoots or are they bug hunting? anyone know? i looked on the basc website and it identified these gulls as being ok to shoot. This is new land for me and never come across this many gulls. I suppose really i should ask the landowner if he wants them dead, only thing is pigeons and rabbits i can sell, seagulls i can`t so i`m wasting cartridge money shooting them but if i`m asked to shoot them i am kind of obliged to or risk losing my permission.

You will get into a whole load of trouble if you shoot the wrong one, and identifying them isn't as easy as you think.

Their eating any bugs or any other **** they can find, not the seeds. You'll get a lot of sport shooting seagulls.......not.

Slightly pedantic perhaps, but under the terms of the General License "sport" does not come into it.

They are disgusting things, worse than feral pigeons IMO, and if requested to deal with them (and the law allows it) then what is your issue?

The terms of the general license change a little from year to year however, the name says it all:

Licence to kill or take certain birds to prevent serious damage or disease

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Images/WM...5_tcm6-7669.pdf

This licence may only be relied upon where the activities are carried out for the purposes of preventing the spread of disease or preventing serious damage to livestock, crops, foodstuffs for livestock, crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber, fisheries or inland waters. This licence does not permit action to prevent damage to other forms of property or to prevent nuisance. Persons relying on this licence must be satisfied that non-lethal methods of resolving the problem are ineffective or impracticable.

So, if I were you I would make very sure that you had documented evidence to show that you had attempted to use non-lethal methods without success as well as documenting serious damage or disease.

The terms of the general license change a little from year to year however, the name says it all:

Licence to kill or take certain birds to prevent serious damage or disease

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Images/WM...5_tcm6-7669.pdf

This licence may only be relied upon where the activities are carried out for the purposes of preventing the spread of disease or preventing serious damage to livestock, crops, foodstuffs for livestock, crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber, fisheries or inland waters. This licence does not permit action to prevent damage to other forms of property or to prevent nuisance. Persons relying on this licence must be satisfied that non-lethal methods of resolving the problem are ineffective or impracticable.

So, if I were you I would make very sure that you had documented evidence to show that you had attempted to use non-lethal methods without success as well as documenting serious damage or disease.

I am sure that 99.9% of pigeon shooters keep these detailed documents since pigeon is also shot under the terms of the OGL..................................

On a serious note, the OGL states that the person carrying out the job must be satisfied that non-lethal methods would fail, it does not say that you must have tried them.

Edited by Jonno243

I am sure that 99.9% of pigeon shooters keep these detailed documents since pigeon is also shot under the terms of the OGL..................................

On a serious note, the OGL states that the person carrying out the job must be satisfied that non-lethal methods would fail, it does not say that you must have tried them.

I suggest that if you stood up in court and tried to rely on hearsay as evidence that you didn't have to have tried, you might end up in trouble.

Better to stick up a scarecrow over the field you propose to shoot and photograph it in position. Otherwise your going to be defending off the back foot and will end up caught in the slips.

It doesn't take a lot of effort to stay the right side of the law. What worries me is that someone who can't be bothered to even make a halfarsed effort to try will get done and then the rest of us will have the antis swarming all over us everytime they hear a few bangs coming from a field.

For the record, chaps, there is no such bird as a Seagull, they are Gulls - Herring, Black-Backed etc etc.

When I was in the RAF we shot them occasionally, as they tend to make a nasty mess of a jet engine if they fly into one.

One of the first jobs before the airfield opened for business each day was to get rid of all the Gulls/Crows/Lapwings by any means possible, and it always took a good hour or so firing cartridges, playing distress calls and even trying to run them over, although we never managed it.

Nasty ******* some of them, and big too, I found an injured one once and my Terriers wouldn't go near it with that huge beak lashing out in all directions. It's wing was knackered and bent back so I assume it must have flown into overhead cables or something so we dispatched it.