A Bad Night

lurcherboy

16 slips tonight and no quarry caught. the catch rate has been going down for a while but when your best mate isn't firing on all cyliders you cover for him don't cha?

Sadly the Sal x Grey has come to the end of his productive life and i will shed a tear or two when putting him to sleep.

He has been a good mucka in the field and in the home, but I wont be replacing him as I have had enough of longdogs and lurchers.

They will give you their all if you train them well before entering on quarry and then go and make you weep by getting old and blind.

Bolly dogs make your **** life bearable and then decide to go senile :welcomeani:

******* heartbreakers one and all.

LB

16 slips tonight and no quarry caught. the catch rate has been going down for a while but when your best mate isn't firing on all cyliders you cover for him don't cha?

Sadly the Sal x Grey has come to the end of his productive life and i will shed a tear or two when putting him to sleep.

He has been a good mucka in the field and in the home, but I wont be replacing him as I have had enough of longdogs and lurchers.

They will give you their all if you train them well before entering on quarry and then go and make you weep by getting old and blind.

Bolly dogs make your **** life bearable and then decide to go senile :hmm:

LB

Don't quite understand this, do you have the dog put down as soon as he's past working effectively, or does he get a period of retirement. I've got a ten year old lab that probably wont do a full days work next season, but hopefully she'll be around for a year or two yet.

Andy

Bolly dogs make your **** life bearable and then decide to go senile :P

LB

As I read it you are putting down a healthy dog just because he is past his best? No sympathy from me. If he has been such a good worker and companion he deserves to live out his life in retirement.

Agree with above, you owe some comittment too.

:lol:

Guys, read the bit in bold, then think about it for a moment.

LB, I'm very sorry to hear what's happened, all I can say mate is to remember the good times ye had together :P

Guys, read the bit in bold, then think about it for a moment.

LB, I'm very sorry to hear what's happened, all I can say mate is to remember the good times ye had together :lol:

What's he doing slipping it 16 times, if it's blind, old and senile? If it's fit enough to chase rabbits, it's fit enough to live a bit of retirement.

Andy

End of his 'productive' ? life, seems to sum it up.

Edited by Doggone

Although I have never met LB personally, I have read with interest his posts on running dogs and gundogs over the past 5 or 6 years that

I've been a member of this forum, I think I can honestly say LB is a true 'dogman'.

I am sure he will have given this situation many hours of heartbreaking thought before coming to the

decision that is right for the dog.

After having a similar situation with my lurcher bitch last year I think I know what he is going through.

Sorry to hear about this LB, remember the good times.

totally sympathise with you. I lost my two dogs 2 1/2 years ago and its totally soul destroying. Up to date I have not replaced them but I have been feeling the urge now for the last 6 months and another shooting partner and friend on the cold mornings and dark nights may be on the horizon soon

• 1 month later...

sorry to hear that mate

totally sympathise with you. I lost my two dogs 2 1/2 years ago and its totally soul destroying. Up to date I have not replaced them but I have been feeling the urge now for the last 6 months and another shooting partner and friend on the cold mornings and dark nights may be on the horizon soon

Now now Auto tell the truth to ur shooting mates , The wife wants one :good: and if she doesnt get it ur in the dog house lol

LB - tough time mate, you have my sympathy and my admiration for taking the toughest decision when the dog can no longer perform his work.

As for those who are aiming criticism for there being no sentimental retirement period... think on. With a with a house living gundog thats fine, the dog can get old and fat and lie in front of the fire until it can't eat or ****.

With a workinr lurcher who lives out and lives to work it's a whole different story. Think of the dog, he is getting old and weak; he does not succeed in what he used to thrive at and what he lives for, his hunting days are over, his quality of life in this so called retirement is nil. I have read a large number of LBs posts and he knows his dogs and what's best for them.

As I said, thoughts are with you mate.

WGD

you have my sympathy ,never been lucky enough to come down in the morning and find an old un dead in thier bed its always been a decision ive had to make for them, doing the right thing is still hard tho! as other people have said think of the good times only got the one lurcher at the moment shes 9 in good health and no injuries doesnt see any work nowdays i wont be replacing her ,fancy a cocker next the shoot im on will give it plenty to do !