battery life on pigeon magnet

Hey mate, i had the same problem as well, now i use a car battery whhich will last all day. You could from using a speed controller on your magnet... ?

But i use a car battery now. but they cost about £50. . . :blush:. But better than charging it ever 40 mins i didnt even think my battery lastest that long at fall speed lol.

12v 17amp/hr lasts me 8 - 9 hours.

I have tested my 17amp with the rotary going continuously on the lawn allday, just to see!!

It was still turning 12hrs later when I stopped it as it was getting dark, the secret with these batteries is to fully recharge them after each use, allways storing them recharged and to fully discharge them 2/3 times a year.

This battery is now 3yrs old and I use it lamping fairly often as well.

IMO a magnet requires a beefier battery than a 7amp/hr.

Rgds D2D

I use Yuasa 12V 7AMP batteries for my rotary and they have always given me a good days use.

Thats what i have too and provided i dont have the speed controller set at warp 9-its lasts me about 4.5hrs.Maybe more if i set it a tad slower,but only used it a few times and experimenting with speed.

depends on the magnet.

A friends magnet that came with his hyper flappers is a 3.4amp and last all day and more. the one that come with my pinewood is a 7amp and the one i have on another magnet is a 17amp, this one last a few trips.

what magnet is it, whats in spinning and are you using a speed controller.

Phil

I use Yuasa 12V 7AMP batteries for my rotary and they have always given me a good days use.

AHHH you use batter(ies) whereas I use a battery, how many 7amp jobbies do you get through during a full day?

I can tell you during a nights lamping, but not using a magnet, so I will have to bow to your superior knowledge.

(had a great day today, by the way, the sun was shining and we had to take our coats off :yes: )

Rgds D2D

I also believe it depends what rotary you have and mine is a Pinewood Advantage (10 years vintage).

D2D, I only use one battery at a time, but as I am shooting almost 5 days a week, I have a number in circulation and they are all Yuasa brand (IMO the best battery you can buy).

I am glad the sun shone on you today at the Fair. :yes:

Thanks for the comments.

This is not a branded battery like Yuasa so may be a quality issue.

Not sure if it is a speed controller but the only component visible apart from the motor gearbox is a little heatsink like thing with a turnable shaft in the centre, rheostat?

Will test again tommorow. I have a ton of car batteries for clay traps, small Ford KA size that work a treat and only weigh about half the norm for a family car so could use one of those.

Glad I tested before setting off in to the middle of the countryside!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SAVE YOUR MONEY,

Car battery's are anything from 30 amp hour to 120 amp hour,

me & willc have been using a knacked one with a duff cell battery giving only 9 Volts & it did a 12 hour shift on the pigeons this week

So a bad car battery will last longer than a good dry cell battery, ( no offense to the lad who sells em )

OK their bigger & heaver, but you can get one from a scrap yard for a fiver,

Make sure its a black one, get yer paint brusher out & camo it

Ken.

PS if you live near me don't be beating me to the scrappy on Saturday

:angry:

Same for me who wants to lug a bloody car battery round a field with them :angry:

err do you lug yours round with you ....I leave mine on the rotary.....lol

load the jeep up unload the jeep simple as that for me now... lucky to have a drive up shoot... its not always been like that

:lol:

Same for me who wants to lug a bloody car battery round a field with them :P

I get my enthusiastic shooting partner to carry it, that or stick it in the jeep. We are lucky tho, as kennym says, new permission leaves a 6 foot plus strip round all the fields for conservation, so access is good.

I can drive as well on some of the farms i shoot but what about the fields that you have to walk quite a way to get to car battery is no bloody good then unless you are Charles Atlas......... :lol::P

not met me then? lol