Budget 09

Dr W

Looks fairly pointless and not much to help stimulate things.

2p on fuel again in Sept

£2,000 car scrapping discount going ahead

50% tax band for those earning over £150k

£2bn to help young unemployed

£1bn to help housing market (not much use in London where you'd be lucking to find a property under £175k)

Pretty much all he did is say what Labour had done to help things and not what they were going to do.

I would of liked to see tax on fags up by 10% with the additional tax going directly to NHS to help treat smoaking related diseises.

As a none smoaker I hate the fact that my taxes are given freeley to those who choose to smoke when they becom ill !

Also condoms should be free to everyone and those under 16 having children should receive a big medical bill for the hospital costs etc as what they have done is illeagle !

Emergency treatment should always be free from th NHS to anyone in need but those that damage there own body willingly should be made to pay for there own treatment.

I better get down off my soap box now but am not impressed with the budget !

• Alcohol taxes to go up 2% from midnight - one estimate is that it would put 5p on the average pint of beer

• Tax on tobacco to go up by 2% from 6pm

• Fuel duty to rise by 2p per litre from September, then by 1p a litre above indexation each April for the next four years

And a kick blx just in case your eyes are not watering :blush:

I suppose all the usual beer fags and spirits go up

2% increase from midnight

I would of liked to see tax on fags up by 10% with the additional tax going directly to NHS to help treat smoaking related diseises.

As a none smoaker I hate the fact that my taxes are given freeley to those who choose to smoke when they becom ill !

I think you'll find that smokers contribute more in taxes than they take in additional NHS costs

I like the fact he's doing it in % rather than saying how many pence on a pint etc,

fundamentally though they've got to tax anything they can in the name of greenness or the nations health so they can begin to balance the books they've screwed up. SS they'll be taxing condoms next as thats about the last pleasure left they've not taxed so far.

and in true essex boy fashion the chancellor has prooved he's definitely a taker not a giver

Edited by al4x

Also condoms should be free to everyone and those under 16 having children should receive a big medical bill for the hospital costs etc as what they have done is illeagle !

Emergency treatment should always be free from th NHS to anyone in need but those that damage there own body willingly should be made to pay for there own treatment.

Following on from your logic though, anyone who falls off their motorbike or breaks a bone rockclimbing/snowboarding/etc etc (ie finding themselves in need of medical treatment as a result of a lifestyle choice) would also have to pay for their treatment.

Is what you are saying not actually that you just hate smokers?

ZB

My local put the beer up 5p a pint about a month ago (Orchid Group I think?). Suppose they thought they would get in a double wammy!! and bet your life it will be more than 5p this time and even if they did keep to 5p that would make a pint of Beck Vier (light stuff) £2.80 pint (is that expensive?? considering other areas??).

Better see if there is an angle trading off the run about for 2 grand to supplement a few pints.

Zapp,

No if someone fell from a horse/ bike etc it should be treatment free on the NHS.

Its the smoking, druggs, excess drinking and the spin off from that I hate. IE another example someone goes out and drinks till they drop, should a ambulance be called and they be cared for by the NHS then they should receive the bill. Why should tax payers pay to clean up after these people when no ones forcing the booze down there necks and if there mates or family sort them out then so be it no bill.

• Alcohol taxes to go up 2% from midnight - one estimate is that it would put 5p on the average pint of beer

• Tax on tobacco to go up by 2% from 6pm

• Fuel duty to rise by 2p per litre from September, then by 1p a litre above indexation each April for the next four years

And a kick blx just in case your eyes are not watering :lol:

That is why the central london meet is tonight so we can "save" our 5p per pint! LOL

Guess we need to drink more then to save money :blush:

Insurance companies want to know if you undertake activities which they consider risky i.e. activities which are known for putting the participant at a greater than average risk.

The last form I filled out wanted to know about motor cycling, scuba diving, sky diving, extreme sports (a mop up across the board) as well the usual faves of smoking, drinking and being over weight.

I see what Dr. W is saying in that if you horse ride or mountain bike etc then you are knowingly putting yourself into a category that is at greater risk. I understand the morality that outdoorsy stuff is part of a healthy lifestyle whereas smoking is not, but nonetheless if you are knowingly carrying out any activity (be it smoking or para-gliding) which puts you at greater risk and therefore more likely to need the health service then why should those who do not be asked to pay in the event that medical treatment or other assistance is required.

At least smokers and drinkers are taxed to high heaven and put money into a pot they may want to take out of later. They are also statistically less likely to live longer and therefore balance out the ever diminishing pension pot.

Besides, given all that we know about smoking why is it that it is not just banned or the law altered such that cigarettes are only available on prescription from chemists? Lets face it, if smoking hadn't happened and was invented tomorrow it would receive an immediate drugs classification - eeeerrr gimmie 20 c-class Bensons.

and in true essex boy fashion the chancellor has prooved he's definitely a taker not a giver

Alastair Darling is a porridge-*** - there's nothing Essex about him.

I didn't hear any mention of road tax increases for larger cars.

And his £50m for renovating Services accommodation will not go far.

I was listening to the budget for a minute on the radio and Darling said something along the lines of "help keep people in jobs". Yet he knows that pubs are closing down due to the fact that people are finding it too expensive to drink in them.

What a load of ******

Zapp,

No if someone fell from a horse/ bike etc it should be treatment free on the NHS.

Its the smoking, druggs, excess drinking and the spin off from that I hate. IE another example someone goes out and drinks till they drop, should a ambulance be called and they be cared for by the NHS then they should receive the bill. Why should tax payers pay to clean up after these people when no ones forcing the booze down there necks and if there mates or family sort them out then so be it no bill.

:blush: cigarettes cost £6 a packet here, do you realise how much of that is made up of tax? i slightly agree in the fact that i think ALL taxes taken on smoking should be given direct to the nhs, but dont agree with the logic of your answer (because there is no logic); what youre saying is that if someone is doing something that could cause them to need treated by the nhs then they should be forced to pay for it themselves. then that means fat people shouldnt get treated for heart disease, etc, for free because they brought it on themselves. people into sports shouldnt be treated, be it snow boarding, free falling or even playing rugby or football, because again, they know the risk and still went with it. i can remember playing rugby at school, one guy broke his wrist 3 time in 9 months because he didnt give it time to heal properly and kept playing!

heres a question. a family get stranded on rocks near the coast when the tide comes in. they stupidly didnt check the times of the tides and have now got stuck and the wqaters rising. should we send an raf rescue helicopter out to them? or should we say sod it, it costs too much and its their own fault so let them drown? or perhaps the winchman should have a credit card machine strapped to his chest, they dont get winched up til they pay the several thousand it costs for the rescue?! :lol:

anyway budget, as always, is ****

Increases on price of alcohol and tobacco are nowhere close to where they should be. I mean, 1p increase in price of the average pint of beer is hardly going to make any positive change on economics or health, right? On the other hand, those of us who commute to work everyday to offer our services to the sick and the dying will have to pay 2p increase per litre. Nice one governor...

Pubs Around here are closing due to the Smoking ban "NOT" the price of the Beer.

This is a fact and has so far cost many hundreds of jobs and obviously has cut down the amount of Tax the Porridge jockey gets in tax.

All The Bu*****t of people flooding into the pubs was rubbish as I know a lot of none smokers who now dont go out as they have to sit on their own in the Pub, in my pub the whole pub is empty for most of the week but the shelter outside is rammed with both Smokers and none Smokers! :good:

The Government will get their way as they dont like people meeting socially who will obviously talk politics and Broon and co dont want that when they have to fight for every vote.

Edited by SHOOTEMUP