your neck of the woods

darren m

hi lads -- just curious , as to whats happening regarding shooting ( any type ) in your neck of the woods , very quiet here for pigeons ( Notts borders ).

state where you are in the UK and how much you are getting :) at the moment.

cheers

Darren .

darren

Hi, i'm based on the Notts/Derby border,shooting mainly in South Derbyshire.

The large winter flocks of pigeon,that usualy accumulate in this area have not occured, even the anticipated spring drillngs are failing to produce the expected numbers.

Keeping this local im getting loads over me at the moment (notts), there is a lot of fresh drilling around me. unfortunately where i have no permission :< i will try sending them your way darren :)

silvertop where abouts in south derbyshire?

regards Coney

Been out all morning, done about 100 miles again and nothing of consequence to report, went out around Banbury way up by Leamington and Warwick. Saw some drilling but the weather is not good for pigeon movement at the moment. Been worst season for ages round here apart from very odd days here and there.

Good luck guys.

North Lincs

there have been alot of pigeons over here, and plenty of reports of 100 plus days on rape.

So much rape about though......... t they're always on the move.

Had a couple of productive sessions of late, but nothing spectacular. More **** sessions that good ones!!!!!!

Hopefully will be attacking some more new drilling over the next couple of weeks. Farmers seem to have been a bit slow in getting going aroud here.

Paul in North Lincs

Hi!2 good days in the last 10 days in northumberland on barley stubble left over from last year!I am not sure what they are feeding on but shot 113 black ones and 43 pigeons the first day and 64 pigeons and 8 black ones the second day.That area has not been shot for some time and I have noticed a similar left over field nearby full of black ones.Looks promising...

Old rooster,

Try along the A361 Banbury to Daventry Road. I travel that wat 0740 and return 1740ish loads flying about and on the rape fields.

If you want any more infor give me a shout.

Brian

Thanks mate, will have a look, was out that way yesterday and there's a bit of drilling going on. Looks like the weather's going to be against us at the mo, even thinking the unthinkable and considering doing some w*rk !!!!!!!!!!!!

Steady mate :lol:

No need for swearing!!!!!! :lol:

The main place they are feeding is behing Chipping Warden on the tall rape

then back on to the grass fields beyond best times seem between2 till 6pm

Brian

I know, it was a bit strong, I apologise unreservedly to all who found my profanity offensive.

Shot some fields near there last year, you'll see the drilling going in just by the crossroads, would appreciate you letting me know if there is any activity on that as you obviously use that road each day.

Went out to pick up some materials this afternoon and saw some pigeons drifting about, couldn't resist following them and eventually found them absolutely hammering onto a wide strip of maize stubble at the edge of a field that's been drilled a week or two back.

They were coming in from all directions and dropping like stones, some I watched from over a mile away so they'd have come in a treat and I'd put money on shooting a big bag. Went to nearest farm only to find that bit belongs to the local estate, checked with the gamekeeper and you guessed it "the beaters shoot the pigeons". Bug*er !!!!!!!!!!

Back to wo*k again, whoops there I go swearing again :sly::shoot:

I just spoke to a couple of mates in SW Scotland, and plenty of pigeons started to move on to drillings, drillings later this year which bodes well for me 'cos I'm back in blighty in first week in May, so should have a busy week on them.

Maybe even cast a fly too, if the snow stays away.

Hammy

Well I went down to the farm today as I had booked today and tommorow off for shooting , as I wont be able to go shooting for a few weeks due to house moving :sly:

I noticed last sunday that they were fine ploughing the fields so I arrived at the farm at 7.30 expecting the usual couple of pigeons/crows day . I noticed a lot of crows and woodies on the fields as I got near which is unusual , then as I got to the fields I noticed spilt grain lying on the floor :lol: Oh yes I started to think to myself so I got the old legs into turbo drive to get to the top where I always go .

Set up in record time with my 8 half shells , got into the hide and then started what was to be a cracking morning in they came in 1,s 2,s and 3,s every few minutes . Once I had around fifteen woodies I started to think to myself what am I going to do if I get anymore so I rang up a local butcher/game dealer who's number I had put into my mobile "yes I will have them as long as there are not too many and they are fresh " as he had over a hundred in the other day . So I got cracking again and had to stop around 12.30 as I had 33 in the bag now and having no freezer space at my house had to drop the woodies off to the butcher .

I rang the farmers house to check if it would be okay to leave my hide in position ready for tommorow . "yes of course just stay there a minute" when 5 minutes later his old man comes across with his quad and a little trailer on the back ready to carry my stuff , me and the woodies back to the farmyard . He seemed chuffed with the amount of pigeons I had , but I reckon if I had freezer space and stayed all day it would have been at least double that figure , still its not always numbers that count .

Going to have another bash friday morning I can't wait as this was my first time on the spring drillings . :lol:

About half the drills are in now around us. They started drilling towards the end of March as usual at the east end of the county but the rest is about a week later than normal. They've started leaving the OSR that they were on right up till last week, getting shooting on drilled Barley and Beans now. There's a lot more beans around us this year, is there a good subside this year??

Mark.

In Perthshire a month ago the woodies were on beechmast or clover,now the drillings are under way they are everywhere but mainly barley and peas.Last year the viners made a hash of both sowing and harvest but this year they hardly left a pea in sight :< still at least the birds are in V.good condition at the mo I`m just picking away as I can only get out for 1/2 a day at a time but I think the best idea is to shoot a field when you see birds on it!