Midges

JohnGalway

funny you mention this john as i was thinking it seems alot worse this year than usual???

The smokey fire usually keeps them away for a while, but they do seem more aggressive this year

I'm up in grampian so i don't know if we are worse or better over here!

Gixer

Gentlemen

From recollection of a media article by experts in the field of biting insects a couple of years ago Neem Tree Oil was about the only thing that would work on midges.

Having read this I acquired said Oil but didnt get round to trying it as my friends and I gave up our stalking in Lower Scotland and dont have such like in the South.

Suggest 'Google' for biting insect research or the like would trawl up latest thinking/advice including where to get this stuff

It maybe that some other 'pungent' natural oil would also work?

L

I fish in Caithness each year where the wee b***ers bite like blazes :) . Was put onto Expedition Insect Repellant which works a treat for me! :good:

http://www.firstaid4travel.co.uk/shop/info_TRV0097.html

Failing which a pair of gloves on the hands, long sleeve shirt and the Highlander micro headnet is the only option http://www.highlander-outdoor.com :P

Clean feet for a kick off: smelly feet attract them (pheromones).

I make my own concotion using water, citronella, clove, lemon, grapefruit, eucalytpus, camphor, tea-tree and about half a dozen other smelly essential oils my wife keeps in a big box.

Works for me.