home protection, gun owner, justice

markbivvy

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, if he did say something like ''I'd kill em'' - I'm really not surprised.

Thats the kind of attitude that really winds me up?

I take it you have never wished harm on someone who has rubbed you up the wrong way, and by the sounds of it the people responsible for the vandalism deserve a good pasting.

EDIT: eye relly cnat speel

Edited by libs

The police haven't covered themselves in glory - oh hang on, I'll give it 10 mins before all the serving officers pop up and:

1. suggest anyone knocking the police in this matter are "anti" police; or,

2. blindly defend the actions of the Force involved; or,

3. make the distinction that it wasn't the same sort of police, policing or police force that they are involved with that did this

Anyways, moving on, the irritant here is that the only *action* taken by the police was against an elderly citizen with a clean record who went to the police to report a crime and seek help.

If they had concerns about the individual they could have:

1. had a quiet word

2. been a bit brighter about it and suggested that the guns be moved to his shooting club as he was now classified as living in a high risk area

It's just one of those stories you read in disbelief and think "yeah that's about ******* right, oh well done".

Of course, had they *caught* the vandals then there would be no need to take the chap's guns to protect the vandals' safety :oops:

Edited by Mungler

The police haven't covered themselves in glory - oh hang on, I'll give it 10 mins before all the serving officers pop up and:

1. suggest anyone knocking the police in this matter are "anti" police; or,

2. blindly defend the actions of the Force involved; or,

3. make the distinction that it wasn't the same sort of police, policing or police force that they are involved with that did this

1. it has been more than ten mins, and I don't think anyone knocking the police in this incident are anti police, I just suggest that they dont know the full facts were not privy to the conversation between the man and the Officers who attended.

2. I dont blindly defend anyone, that is a contradiction in terms, if I have no evidence to go on I am blind, and I keep my opinions to myself.

3. I make no distinction between police forces or Officers , only to say that they are not superhuman and have to make life and death decisions every day, and again without knowing what was said what would have happened if this man went on to kill one of the mindless yobs that damaged his fence and the press found out that he had made either veiled threats or specific threats and the police did nothing,., game over.

as I have said before it is easy to sit at home with half the facts and make comments on what you think happened, all I ask is just think about it, make comments if you wish but add the caveats such as, In my opinion, or it is alleged, or it is reported, do not go on record stating you know what happened because you do not, you are only expressing your opinion, and others have the right to disagree with you,and calling other board members because of their past occupation is not fair as they have not yet made their feelings known and you are making statements that they are about to make quotes that you have listed, shame on you!!!

you cant know what happened if you do you are the answer to all our prayers and the criminal justice system needs you, we have not had such a talented person since Sherlock Holmes.

I reserve judgment on the incident until I am better informed on the facts.

Frank

Edited by hurstpol

If the bloke was rabidly threatening death to the vandals then I might understand. On the face of this article,he does not seem the sort,just expressing his frustrations to people he BELIEVED he could trust and felt,wrongly, he was on the same side as the Police against criminals.

If he really did mean to be violent he would not have told the Police 1st would he? We pay PLENTY enough tax here that we should not have to live under the rule of vandals as he does. What a result for the bad guys!!! Damaged house,sleepless nights,strain upon his family no doubt and now denied his hobby by the lot of them. Anyone surprised?

Nothing is new in this world.

I knew a chap fifteen years ago who had his three shotguns taken by the Police.

He lived opposite a Pub and was always complaining about late drinking and the noise.

Eventually, he went to the Police Station and told the desk sargeant if they didn't do something about it, he would sort it out himself.

That was interpreted as uttering threats, he was cautioned and his guns confiscated.

He got them back after about 6 months when they considered he had cooled down and was no longer a risk.

Initially, he was irate about it all, but did eventually admit, that whilst he never intending to do something stupid involving one of his guns, if he had done, the Police would have been in the wrong for not taking them away.

Another one of those, "damned if they do and damned if they don't".

Did the police consider doing anything about the nuisance and anti social behaviour, that might have been an idea?

Hurstpol, glad to see you are towing the line :oops: . There are of course some *facts* that can be determined from the article, shall we go through them...?

We could start with the gentleman in question - the article says that he's 57 and got a clean sheet, this would probably be confirmed by the fact that he is (or rather was) an existing ticket holder.

Edited by Mungler

Did the police consider doing anything about the nuisance and anti social behaviour, that might have been an idea?

Hurstpol, glad to see you are towing the line :oops: . There are of course some *facts* that can be determined from the article, shall we go through them...?

1. I am not towing any line, this has been the position I have adopted throughout my career, where I rely on evidence and not hearsay, it is why I was so good at what I did, I rely on evidence not conjecture or supposition, if I aint got the facts I walk away from it till I do have them, it is not worth the hassle , as Dirty Harry says "Assumptions are the mother of all **** ups"

2.There are no facts to discuss, only the opinion of a reporter, I learned years ago after dealing with the press that I would never rely on anything I read in a newspaper, and I have not bought a newspaper since 1980 and have no intention to start now, when some genuine facts become available I would be glad to discuss them..

Frank

bit of an over reaction, then again if he's bluntly said to the cops he's gonna get them himself - the article says “I said something like, ‘If I get my hands on the little b**gers, I’ll sort them out myself’, doesnt say what exactly he said. but what do you expect? making threats of violence with cops present is not a good way to keep your guns :good:

and what would we all be saying now if he had said that and the cops had done nothing, and then he had shot someone? rock and a hard place situation.

We all make statements we regret, the man may have been under intolerable strain due to the little b******* who had been damaging his property, but you do not repeat do not put your mouth into gear without first engaging your brain especially when talking to a Police Officer who will have no option in todays climate but to take you seriously, you would not believe the pressure most Officers are under now, it is no picnic, you have to make decisions and stand by them, if you make a wrong decision, some one may die, and the "Job" will hang you out to dry and abandon you to the tender mercy's of public opinion.

Just because he is a licence holder does not make him a saint, he is human and should act and talk in a measured way if he wants to keep his licence.

we have all heard of incidents of licence holders shooting people, on the 6th of May 2007 two Police Officers responded to a reported domestic incident where a man was threatening his partner, to cut the story short, the man a licence holder held the Officers at gunpoint, and after a short time backup arrived and the offender shot and killed one of the Officers and then shot himself, it transpired that he had previously assaulted his partner and made threats against her, nobody checked him out properly and the fact he had firearms was missed, and look what happened.

Weapons kill people, and I for one am glad that any risk is minimised, and if the action is later found to be inappropriate the weapons can be returned, if it save one life ...... well done.

Frank

We all make statements we regret, the man may have been under intolerable strain due to the little b******* who had been damaging his property, but you do not repeat do not put your mouth into gear without first engaging your brain especially when talking to a Police Officer who will have no option in todays climate but to take you seriously, you would not believe the pressure most Officers are under now, it is no picnic, you have to make decisions and stand by them, if you make a wrong decision, some one may die, and the "Job" will hang you out to dry and abandon you to the tender mercy's of public opinion.

Just because he is a licence holder does not make him a saint, he is human and should act and talk in a measured way if he wants to keep his licence.

we have all heard of incidents of licence holders shooting people, on the 6th of May 2007 two Police Officers responded to a reported domestic incident where a man was threatening his partner, to cut the story short, the man a licence holder held the Officers at gunpoint, and after a short time backup arrived and the offender shot and killed one of the Officers and then shot himself, it transpired that he had previously assaulted his partner and made threats against her, nobody checked him out properly and the fact he had firearms was missed, and look what happened.

Weapons kill people, and I for one am glad that any risk is minimised, and if the action is later found to be inappropriate the weapons can be returned, if it save one life ...... well done.

Frank

But if the cops did there job in the first place he wouldnt of said it..

Incriminate the law abiding and dont do nothing against the actual criminals.

Edited by The BFG

But if the cops did there job in the first place he wouldnt of said it..

Incriminate the law abiding and dont do nothing against the actual criminals.

eh... i thought it said in the news that he didnt report it to the cops for ages, then when he finally did report it and the cops came he made the threat?? or did i misread the whole thing? :good:

edit just to prove to myself im not mad

Mr Baker said: “I didn’t report the problems to police at first because I didn’t think anything would happen.”

But two weeks ago, he finally decided to report the vandalism.

He received two visits from police community support officers, who took details of the damage.

Edited by babbyc1000

eh... i thought it said in the news that he didnt report it to the cops for ages, then when he finally did report it and the cops came he made the threat?? or did i misread the whole thing? :good:

The cops must of said something on the usual lines of "we cant do anything about it sir". Cause they are to lazy to go chase the real criminals for instance golf tournament starts tomorrow 8 yes thats right 8 police motorcycles and a several motorway cops trying to catch people who go above 30mph. Yet there has been stabbings and murders just down the road, Where are they then?

Not anti Police I just hate some of there tactics they use.

The cops must of said something on the usual lines of "we cant do anything about it sir". Cause they are to lazy to go chase the real criminals for instance golf tournament starts tomorrow 8 yes thats right 8 police motorcycles and a several motorway cops trying to catch people who go above 30mph. Yet there has been stabbings and murders just down the road, Where are they then?

Not anti Police I just hate some of there tactics they use.

so it took them two visits to tell him that they couldnt do anything? how do you know he didnt give them the names he got and then say "if you dont sort them ill sort them myself?"

yep i know all about police tactics and how catching motorists makes the end of month figures look good (as my ex used to say"we get a pat on the back from the top cops for it") but were not talking speeding. we are talking about someone who has 4 guns in their possesion, which, lets face it, are dangerous weapons in the wrong hands, and this idiot makes statements like that to the cops? what did he expect? oh thats ok sir, we dont patrol here between 4 and 8 on mondays and thursdays so sort them out then?

i remember a few people saying lately (in regards to ramblers and cows) how its disgraceful that people cant take responsibility for their actions, this guy needs to see that thread :good: