Farewell Benson

lord_seagrave

Been in the crux of this story all day. BBC news, Sky news, local radio stations, all sorts ringing me up asking for photos, quotes, stories, links etc etc.

Never thought the death of one fish would cause such a massive stir!

But by heck, it was a handsome fish though!

:)

Very sad to lose a fish the size of benson especially after they only lost the creature a couple of months back !! :lol:

I dont suppose the chap who didnt prepare his tiger nuts properly will be showing his face again :)

Bluebell fisheries used to be able to boast of having a brace of 60lb + fish ! Sadly not anymore :yes:

I thought we were lamenting the passing of the delightful comedic black butler.

My thoughts exactly, or the butler from the David Niven film, murder by death, but his real name was Benson Ma'am, so they wanted to call him by his first name to make it easier but that was James Sir, full name James Sir Benson Ma'am

Which is what my mate called his dog but thats another story

Very sad to lose a fish the size of benson especially after they only lost the creature a couple of months back !! :lol:

I dont suppose the chap who didnt prepare his tiger nuts properly will be showing his face again :good:

Bluebell fisheries used to be able to boast of having a brace of 60lb + fish ! Sadly not anymore :yes:

Is the other one called hedges?

i always thought that the creature would live to outweigh benson. my mate darren had the creature last year at a collossal weight of 59lb on the nose,and i thought the fish was on the up.you have got to take your hat off to the boys at bluebell lakes,the fisherie is immaculate and the anglers that frequent it are a nice bunch of lads helpfull .its a sad day in angling to see such a significant fish belly up,but i know that bluebell lakes still has a lot to offer.RIP BENSON

WATCH OUT FOR DAVE AND THE Z FISH

Murdered by the fanatics which immortilised him that is indeed a cruel irony.

Caught 60 times plus in its life and could easily have lived twice his age If left unmolested.

All these artifical baits are ruining mixed fisheries and as you have guessed Carp Fishermen are not my favourite cup of tea there is absolutely no skill involved at all in modern carp fishing not like in Walkers day...

Stand back and wait for the abuse................................ :good:

FM

I don't know anything the modern tactics other than they seem to generate more and more extreme methods, but I have to agree with your thoughts Mike.

I have often wondered what these fish would do if you chucked them a worm or par boiled potato? as a 'change bait' they would probably take it, but I bet no one has ever tried.

The sight of people sat shoulder to shoulder on some of these muddy little holes they dig isn't my idea of fishing at all.

Catch and release is one, thing but these fish deserve a break.

Murdered by the fanatics which immortilised him that is indeed a cruel irony.

Caught 60 times plus in its life and could easily have lived twice his age If left unmolested.

All these artifical baits are ruining mixed fisheries and as you have guessed Carp Fishermen are not my favourite cup of tea there is absolutely no skill involved at all in modern carp fishing not like in Walkers day...

Stand back and wait for the abuse................................ :hmm:

FM

seen some **** on these forums , but the above is about as blinkered as it gets.

You have an opportunity to put your case now then Mark. in favour of the Carp Angler.

Presumably you are a carp angler as I assume the Bivvy in your username is that must have overnight carp anglers accessory ?

You cant just comment that my Post is **** without further explaination.

So who in your opinion was responsible for the fishes death and what skill do you bring to the table in chucking a lead out 85 yards and then going to sleep with a electric bite/sleep alarm on....:hmm:?

Come down the Bristol Avon on a twighlight eve with a stickfloat after the elusive 2LB roach and I wager Ill fish the pants off of any of you. :hmm::hmm:

FM

I used to carp fish yet I'm not sure its right having a fish caught 60 plus times it had to succumb eventually. Obviously theres a big financial incentive for the lakes owner having fish this size caught regularly but to me it spoils things knowing every Tom **** and Harry has caught the same fish. I wouldn't say this has done the public perception of carp fishing any good at all

Have you ever walked a match length on any river /canal and see the vast number of dead fish that have been tipped back after the weight in, some of these to would have grow to be a lot bigger if left unmolested.

did **** return his record fish from where it came from ??

was he not the grandfather of modern carp fishing who if he had it at the time used all the modern gear available to him.?

Iam not a carp angler any more as the games not what it used to be.

as for fishing the pants of me with a stick float in your dreams, as was taugh by 2 of the countrys best, dave thomas, frank barlow, 2 of the best centre pin users ever born.

Murdered by the fanatics which immortilised him that is indeed a cruel irony

Benson was a female by the way.

Edited by markbivvy