lightest load

For me it depends what range they are at, if I dont know that i will get close shots then the minimum i use is 6 shot and 32g weight, although I have heard of people hitting them ok with 7 shot 28g. If they are high flyers on a flight path then I usually switch to 4 shot 36g which give that extra punch.

I've been using up a flat of 7 1/2 28 g just fine. When I put the gun where it needs to go, the birds go down. I wouldn't go any smaller shot unless roost shooting and getting <30 yards shots and pigeons are relatively thick and I wouldn't trust small shot at 30+ yards.

My next gun will be a 20 ga, so most typically it will be 3/4 oz (21 gr) of #6 or 6.5.

Thanks

rick

I am using 28g of no5 out of my moderated 20g Hushpower but my cartridges are subsonic so each pellet would have less knock down power compared to a standard cartridge and because the pellets are relatively large the pattern should be thin in theory but it still knocks em clean dead at 35-40yds if I do my bit.

My point is that a normal speed cartridge could probably do the same with a much lighter load of smaller shot due to the increased kinetic that a faster pellet would carry.

I think you need shot size 6 for pigeon lightest load is probably a .410 are some of them 9 gms? Probably need to cut the range to 25 yds though? If you could get them I'd shoot 24 gms of 6s but I've never seen a 12 gauge cart like that plenty of 20 gauge thou .