survival gear

rascal_2005

hi guys, anyone into disserpearing into the wilderness for days on end?? fending for your self? liveing off the wild?

well i want to give it a try and im looking for some gear to make up a survival kit. can anyone help?

would also like to see how you guys have got your stuff together.

thanks

john boy

I have been thinking about getting in to bushcraft / survival a bit more than what i do at the moment. All i do at the moment is a couple of days sleeping under the stars eating what i shoot or take with me. I have picked most of my bits up over a couple of years on fleebay or there are a few dedicated websites and forums out there.

How far do you want to push it and how much do you know? Also, what permission do you have to adjust the area you are staying in? If you know the land owner and can cut trees etc then you don't need much. I can do it with a good knife and a lighter (that's assuming you can't reliably do the rubbing sticks thing, which is hard believe me)! If you can rub sticks, a knife will do ???

Right. As before a good knife is a must. I have a Fallkniven F1. Not too big but strong and with a good secure sheath. Then a Gransfors small forest axe...Don't go for a cheaper one because they're naff. Get a decent first aid kit to go with the above two items! The military plastic water bottles are good and not expensive, get 2. A Zippo lighter is good, solid and reliable. Put spare flints in the wadding because it will always pack up when you're miles from anywhere! Stove...Primus Himalaya. They are light and burn anything, but petrol works best. If you stick with that then you can top up your zippo when it runs out too! Find a pan which the stove fits in to keep it safe and also to save space. Pack around it with luxuries, a deodourant rock, toothpaste, salt, pepper, chocolate in case you mess up on the food collecting! Whatever you feel the need to take. The brit army bivvy bag is plenty good enough to sleep in with a decent sleeping bag and is lightweight. Also a genuine army folding shovel for when you need a 2 (ooh, and loo roll. Forgot that!) Shove it all in a PLCE bergen and you're away!

have a look at this site www.bushcraftuk.com a very informative site with lots of projects to try out.

As for survival gear its not so much what gear you have but knowing how to use it, i would probably try out a bushcraft course to see if you like it and if you do then ask them what gear they (the experts) would recommend as there is a lot of sh##e gear out there

also have a look at some bushcraft books, one i can recommend is bushcraft skills and how to survive in the wild by anthonio akkermans

very good book and very informative (making fire with sticks is a ba##ard to do, but this book shows you how step by step)

hope this helps

joe ???

Hello rascal 2005

As fire is the recommended starting point in most manuals as a morale raiser, to cook by, dry your clothes and keep warm. You should forget all that Ray Mears rubbing two sticks bit and put together a fail-safe tin of fire making goodies, I you need something to start the fire, kindling, and something to sustain it. I suggest:

A box of waterproof matches (camping store)

A liquid fuel lighter

Some short ready-chopped dry kindling to get you going. (held together with an elasic band to make a bundle say2 inches diameter by about 4 inches long.

A some Bar BQ lighting blocks

Go to a Mr Fix-it tyre centre and hack off a few lumps of tyre. Totally anti-green, of course, but it does sustain, and it does get a fire going.

Other guys will tell you about all the other stuff. Do take your mobile for an emergency. DON'T take yor gun to live off the land unless you want to risk armed trespass and transport to the Colonies.

Good luck!

surprised no one has said this, but just get a copy of the sas survival guide. everything you need to know is in the book, plus theres a handy pocket sized one you can get, look it up on amazon or ebay :no:

;)

I have a good fire lighting steel and striker and a waterproof pot in which i keep some maya dust, char cloth some lint from our tumble dryer and cotton wool all of which take a spark well. But you must have your dry kindeling at the ready. I like to make a fire this way, but i also always have a back up Zippo.

surprised no one has said this, but just get a copy of the sas survival guide. everything you need to know is in the book, plus theres a handy pocket sized one you can get, look it up on amazon or ebay ;)

That's what I have, by Lofty Wiseman. Its the pocket size book. Great stuff. I've had it since I was 14 or 15.

If you are trying to survive, the kit you take really depends on the level of skill you have/want to learn.

Think camping holiday and remove bits that you can gather or improvise in the field.

Something I would recommend are water purifying tablets.

British army poncho with string, pegs and bungees for shelter. That will give you a decent mid point between improvised shelter and a tent. + it will keep you dry even if you cant figure out how to erect it, because you can just wear it :no:

Oh and baby wipes are better than bog roll when you are miles from a shower. Believe me on this one :/

Edited by Westcountryman

A very good piece of kit is a kelly kettle, this will let you boil water and cook food using fuel that can be picked up around you..... ie sticks, twiggs grass etc etc..the SAS book is a fantastic read ....

a good survival tin can be bought at most surples stores....

i also do kayak fishing and have the odd night where we have a sleep over on a beach...the most important things are 1...get a fire going, 2 get a brew on then 3 get some food down... rig up a basha so everything stays as dry as possible........... you just can't beat getting back to basic's ;)

ps !!!!!!! don't forget the bog roll :no:

john

My youngest brother is seriously into this and is now an instructor with this lot

http://www.survivalschool.co.uk/

I'd do one of their courses first off and get an idea of how seriously you want to pursue it. You can spend an absolute fortune in the blink of an eye on some gucci gear, but as already mentioned, if you don't know how to use it, it's a waste of time.

I'm off out for a long weekend with my 15yr old son and brother in October and did one a few years back with him - certainly knows his stuff and we had a great laugh.

P.