Opening Day Geese.

243win

Out and set up before first light this morning in South Yorkshire with a pal of mine. The flight lasted 45 minutes and we had 12 in total. 8 Canadas and 4 Greylags. It got quite hectic at its peak. A great start to the season :yes: . Now the hard work begins plucking and dressing the birds :) . How did everyone else get on?.

101_9718.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The farmers want them culled so i provide a service for them. Three geese can eat as much as one sheep in a day or so i am told. We got four more off the same area this morning. There are well over a thousand about at the moment. It would be different if i was a member of a wildfowling club as most impose bag limits and rightly so. However the farmers see them eating there crops and consider them a pest. We might shoot around fifty in the season, hardly excessive given the amounts living and breeding in the area. They are good sporting birds and eat well too :lol:.

If there are good numbers in the area then six as a personal limit is acceptable to me , anymore is getting excessive. Good to see you have a self imposed limit, some (albeit a minority) do not know when to stop. Generally the UK wildfowler/shooter is very good, with most more than happy to put the gun down and watch the rest of the flight after bagging a slack handful.

We have way too many on my farm and each winter we loose a big chunk of our crop because of them so now we get shooters out and each on has a limit of 10.

The same gun went out this morning and shot another 5 on the same field and hopefully he will get them off the land before our wheat starts to come through.

Whilst bag limits are a great idea towards conservation as far as wildfowlers are concerned I believe that there is a considerable difference between "shooting for sport" and "vermin control" i.e. Where the farmers are suffering from crop damage caused by large numbers of Canada Geese (Which, from what I have seen are on the increase). One of the farms I shoot on has huge numbers of Canada Geese at the moment and they are decimating the crops, sometimes you need to see this to appreciate the damage they can do.

Please guys, before you start "pulling vermin controllers apart" for shooting more that a wildfowlers bag limit take the farmers livelyhood and point of view in to considderation.

Nothing clever about shooting 12 geese in one flight as far as I concerned- Far to excessive.

Could job you aren't in a wildfowling club

the lads pest controling just like when people shoot pigeons canadas are classed as verming would you be saying the same if someone had shot a bag of hundred woodys probs not the more you shoot the better when its for crop protection

well done 243 win :(