Kelly kettle

Yorkshire Pudding

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the large size one several years back and use it regularly for brewing a cuppa and cooking meals when I'm camping, fishing or beating. I've done Irish Stew, Chicken and Pasta and Full English on the KK, even baked bread and Yorkshire Puddings. When beating I use it to warm up some corned beef hash. Much better than a flask.

If I was choosing now I'd go for the mid sized one. They are very useful, but take some getting used to. It's not like a gas stove and there will be failures in the early days until you get the knack. That said, this part is enjoyable in its own right even if I do come home smelling like a chimney sweep!

I had a 1 pint Kelly kettle that I use to take on fishing trips many years ago.

They do work perfectly, but it does pay to take dry firing materials with you.

The image of collecting dried grass and twigs is great, but its usually raining the day you want to use it.

Once the Colemans unleaded range of stoves appeared I moved on to them, as they are quicker, much more convenient and you can boil a kettle, or cook on them.

We use one at the in laws house in Ireland during the frequent power cuts. Lovely hot cuppas rather than the flask tasting stuff. Bit more bulky to carry the stuff though but they are a great thing to have. They boil water pretty swiftly with the right fuel. We use sticks.

I didn't realise you could get a pan kit to go with it! Now I do want one! I can't decide between the 1 or 1.75 pint version though. The 1.75 uses a full sized cooking pot but the pint has a smaller one. I'm worried that a .4l cook pot may not be big enough, the rest have a .8l version.

Edited by njc110381

The smallest type - 1pt didn't have a cooking set option although you can buy hikers pans that would do at a pinch. The medium and large size have an optional accessory cooking set that fits inside the kettle body. Everything including water, food, pans and even some fuel can be carried inside the kettle body. This is the Kettle all packed and filled with the equivalent amount of water as in the bottle....

P1010525.jpg

And this is what you would need if you used a gas stove...

P1010526.jpg

That dish was corned beef hash. Don't tell me you've never had corned beef? Must be posh!

Here's an Irish Stew I cooked while barbel fishing...

KK_Irish_StewP1010550.jpg

KK_Irish_StewP1010551.jpg

KK_Irish_StewP1010556.jpg

KK_Irish_StewP1010558.jpg

Edited by UKPoacher

The smallest type - 1pt didn't have a cooking set option although you can buy hikers pans that would do at a pinch. The medium and large size have an optional accessory cooking set that fits inside the kettle body. Everything including water, food, pans and even some fuel can be carried inside the kettle body. This is the Kettle all packed and filled with the equivalent amount of water as in the bottle....

Fair enough, perhaps it's something that's only recently been introduced? You can get a small cook kit now but as you already have the medium it looks like you've got the hang of it pretty well as it is. I like the look of those chops! :good:

I think the smaller one may have limitations when cooking, the pot is very small. Here's a link to the small one if anyone's interested though...

https://kellykettle.com/Kelly-Kettle-Kits/S...mplete-Kit.html

I bought the small one for my mate as a birthday present. It's OK for a couple of brews, but I wouldn't use it for cooking. The large one I have is a bit too big and bulky. I'd recommend the medium sized one as the cook set fits it nicely and it is a few inches shorter. That's the one I'd buy if I was replacing mine.

Where I go shooting is a farm that has a logging / firewood business. The lad who runs things keeps putting little bags of firewood next to my car for me. He cuts them to just the right size to fit down the chimney and lay across the fire pan. :good: Usually I can find enough wood to keep me going, but sometimes when camping its a bit scarce so I take a bag of this firewood in the car to put us on.

CBH1.jpg

CBH2.jpg

CBH3.jpg

CBH4.jpg

CBH5.jpg

CBH6.jpg

CBH7.jpg

Beats a sandwich and bag of crisps any day :good:

I have coveted one of these for a while now, but the above and your other post convinces me that I MUST have one of these.

Curses on Christmas being done and my birthday not being till September...

ZB

EDIT: PS, Mrs Sweepy, the meat is corned beef unless I am mistaken.

What about a good old fashioned Trangia

I'm sure that the Trangia does the job very well. However, the KK is s totally diferent 'experience' if you understand what I mean? The foraging for fuel, and experiments with all sorts of things you find is enjoyable. Then there's the campfire aspect. We often have a little fire in the firepan on an evening when we are camping. With a bit of inginuity, a bung and some piping you can turn a KK into a distilery to make fresh water from sea water or river water. The other aspect is that it is totally delf contained. All the pans and the water fit inside and there is room up the chimney for a metal coffee canister containing flint & steel, a 35mm film tub of cotton wool for fire starting, some rubber inner tube and other fire making aids. Your tea and coffee and some food can be carried in the pan that is inside the kettle. Once you've got the system worked out you can go anywhere with no fuel worries. A spark on a pinch of cotton wool or tissue paper is enough to get splinters of dead giant hogweed alight, these in turn will ignite a sliver of inner tube and that will be enough to get any dead twigs going.

I'm sure that the Trangia does the job very well. However, the KK is s totally diferent 'experience' if you understand what I mean? The foraging for fuel, and experiments with all sorts of things you find is enjoyable. Then there's the campfire aspect. We often have a little fire in the firepan on an evening when we are camping. With a bit of inginuity, a bung and some piping you can turn a KK into a distilery to make fresh water from sea water or river water. The other aspect is that it is totally delf contained. All the pans and the water fit inside and there is room up the chimney for a metal coffee canister containing flint & steel, a 35mm film tub of cotton wool for fire starting, some rubber inner tube and other fire making aids. Your tea and coffee and some food can be carried in the pan that is inside the kettle. Once you've got the system worked out you can go anywhere with no fuel worries. A spark on a pinch of cotton wool or tissue paper is enough to get splinters of dead giant hogweed alight, these in turn will ignite a sliver of inner tube and that will be enough to get any dead twigs going.

Can we make Whiskey with it? I to have been looking at these for some months now and having looked at the info above have just got to get one. The cooking bits swung it for as well. I'm going for the 1.75 size. Oh yeah, nxt time you go barbel fishing ring me, just gotta try them chops mate. Thanks for the info.