Pump Club

thepasty

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My new 870 Wingmaster, now in the raw after what must have been the stickiest paint I have ever come across has been removed, also the lacquer on the receiver removed. Various scratches taken out with wet and dry, rubbing compound and metal polish. The high cheek piece stock now resides on my 1187, a convenient simple swap over. Whilst I ponder how to refinish, I have oiled for protection. Probably won't take it out to shoot whilst raw but I think this is going to be a very nice gun eventually. A deep clean revealed amongst other things, mud in the magazine and a desiccated woodlouse in the stock! Dave! did you use it as a paddle up a muddy creek!! :lol: She is now as slick as can be and just waits her new clothes. One option with stuff I have already shown at bottom

post-75958-0-85253200-1496089232_thumb.jpg

Before stripping with high cheek piece stock

post-75958-0-63162000-1496089226_thumb.jpg

The barrel bereft of sticky paint

post-75958-0-71045100-1496089228_thumb.jpg

post-75958-0-99538700-1496089229_thumb.jpg

Left and right oiled awaiting finish

post-75958-0-46034500-1496089231_thumb.jpg

One option

Edited by impala59

And I've got a painted M37 still to do!, thankfully Citristrip seems up to the job

Hi mate what are your options for refinishing the metalwork? I fancy having a go at doing my Mossberg but havent decided what to use. Seems to be a good few American sites that swear by krylon or BBQ paint but somehow that just seems wrong!

Edited by Wingman

My new 870 Wingmaster, now in the raw after what must have been the stickiest paint I have ever come across has been removed, also the lacquer on the receiver removed. Various scratches taken out with wet and dry, rubbing compound and metal polish. The high cheek piece stock now resides on my 1187, a convenient simple swap over. Whilst I ponder how to refinish, I have oiled for protection. Probably won't take it out to shoot whilst raw but I think this is going to be a very nice gun eventually. A deep clean revealed amongst other things, mud in the magazine and a desiccated woodlouse in the stock! Dave! did you use it as a paddle up a muddy creek!! :lol: She is now as slick as can be and just waits her new clothes.

I had never stripped down either of the M37s that I bought unseen from Cornwall years ago and had flown up by RAF Seaking.

The 870 only got a light clean and the wood work replaced by the synthetic furniture.

As far as I was concerned, as long as they worked I was happy.

Very glad they are responding to some TLC.

Keep up the good work.

Hi mate what are your options for refinishing the metalwork? I fancy having a go at doing my Mossberg but havent decided what to use. Seems to be a good few American sites that swear by krylon or BBQ paint but somehow that just seems wrong!

Due to the nastiness of the chemicals and the difficulty of getting a good finish with blueing, I have been considering the 'heat resistant' paints options. As with all finishing, the prep is paramount, I have sprayed some parts with this Barbeque/Stove paint with varying amounts of success, certainly keeping the metal hot seems to work well. A whole gun? we will see, There is also Duracoat (now with a spray on blue which is apparently astonishing in its appearance) I may give Dan (Barrelblacker) a bell as I quite fancy Parkerising a Model 37, don't know if he does that but I am sure it involves nasty chemical stuff, and his work is always flawless.

Edit.........having said the above, there are some great success stories on the craft and diy threads, so reading up on those too

Edited by impala59

The following is posted on behalf of Steve the Jeep as he was having problems with his pics. Hope you don't mind Steve, I have cropped out some background and resized to make the files smaller............

Steves words....................

Hi Folks,

This is a Winchester Model 1897, Black Diamond, 12 gauge pump action 'take-down' shot gun with a capacity of 6 shots, made in 1907, so is 110 years old.

I 'found' it at a local RFD who didn't really know what it was, having taken in a 'parcel' of guns for a deceased gentleman's estate, this was amongst the Holland & Hollands and Brownings.

Apart from the usual wear marks caused by the slide being operated, and a couple of light 'dinks' it's in mint condition with matching serial numbers, having seen very little use and no abuse.

As it was designed by the maestro John Moses Browning, it functions perfectly, the Black Diamond Trap gun was top-of-the-range with quality wood work, hand chequering, anti-glare machining on the rib and it will of course 'slam-fire.'

Having owned a similar gun in average condition which came from S-on-Avon in the '70's, which I sold 3yrs ago, I consider myself lucky to have found this one,

Regards

Steve

post-75958-0-56437500-1496133369_thumb.jpgpost-75958-0-86586200-1496133371_thumb.jpgpost-75958-0-95610300-1496133372_thumb.jpg

post-75958-0-44328400-1496133505_thumb.jpgpost-75958-0-56129100-1496133507_thumb.jpgCont................

And to follow.....

These show the Winchester '97 as previously described, and my Winchester 69A .22rf pump action repeating rifle.

The 62A was a derivative of the Winchester model 1890 designed by JMB, and widely used as a gallery gun both in the USA and UK when live firearms were used for such. The 69A appeared in the late 1930's incorporating minor design changes including a coil main-spring, and round barrel. Being a JMB designed gun, it functions flawlessly, on any .22rf ammunition, is a 'takedown' and capable of 'slam-firing' This rifle was made in 1941 just before production ceased caused by WW2 munitions needs.

It is a lovely gun to handle and shoot, and I use it over iron sights and high velocity hollow points to the detriment of the local rabbit population. A fitting 'companion' to it's 'big brother' the Model 1897?

Regards

Steve

post-75958-0-92611800-1496133646_thumb.jpg

post-75958-0-40648100-1496133649_thumb.jpg

post-75958-0-62139600-1496133650_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the compliments, although I'm not especially familiar with the FN gun,

I understand it was designed by JMB, produced by FN in Belgium, who made many Browning firearms of all types, and was marketed by FN from the mid 1920s until the mid 1970s with a production of only about 150k guns.The main difference was the enclosed hammer. and redesigned woodwork consequentially.

It was marketed in Europe only, which probably accounts for the relatively small numbers made in approx 50 years. The version made for North America was known as a Browning........... or that's my understanding of events.

I guess the answer to your question is that this was aimed (forgive the pun) at the European market, and the Winchester and Browning at the ultra competitive North American customer.

Steve

Due to the nastiness of the chemicals and the difficulty of getting a good finish with blueing, I have been considering the 'heat resistant' paints options. As with all finishing, the prep is paramount, I have sprayed some parts with this Barbeque/Stove paint with varying amounts of success, certainly keeping the metal hot seems to work well. A whole gun? we will see, There is also Duracoat (now with a spray on blue which is apparently astonishing in its appearance) I may give Dan (Barrelblacker) a bell as I quite fancy Parkerising a Model 37, don't know if he does that but I am sure it involves nasty chemical stuff, and his work is always flawless.

Edit.........having said the above, there are some great success stories on the craft and diy threads, so reading up on those too

Very interested in this as like you mention I have read (and seen) some great examples of people using BBQ paint, Krylon etc on their pump guns. Mossbergowners.com has a whole forum dedicated to shotgun refinishing.

As I didnt pay much for it I am erring on the side of giving it a go with a rattle can, but heating the metal will be a problem for me. I'll end up in the divorce courts if the Mrs catches me using her shiny new NEFF oven to bake my gun!

Keep us posted mate!

Edited by Wingman

I don't think an oven is required, in fact my better half would slightly lose her sense of humour if I used ours! I have found that suspending the target item from wires within a box (for overspray limitation) and clamping a heat gun at a respectable distance provides ample heat. I was using her expensive hairdryer as it was more controllable, but I got caught! For barrels I am thinking of directing the heat through a tube into one end so no direct blowing onto the new paint. Very much suck it and see at the moment. I have a number of things to refinish so am watching the threads with interest. Thanks for the pointer to the Mossberg site, I shall take a look

That 1897 is indeed a thing of beauty. Good find. Am still looking for a S1 Model 12 takedown 12 bore ( in its fitted motor case ) to replace the one I sold in place of another S1 Model 12 in 20 bore.

If you ever want to part with that 1897 let me know. :yes:

Evening Scully and Gentlemen,

Again, thank you for your kind words and offer, parting with my '97 is not my immediate intention, equally you never know, and should I decide to do so I'll endeavour to contact you. When Impala visited me recently, he had 'hands on' if you can contact him directly as he has my contact details. Good luck with the Model 12 quest.

However with the "perfect pair" of a tidy '97 and M37. both Sec 1 ....... please don't hold your breath. Must go clean my Winchester 62A after another busy evening 'bunny-bashing' locally.

Regards

Steve

• 2 weeks later...