Another defeat at the hands of the pigeons.

JDog

I have never watched a field for longer without either diving in to shoot it or going off elsewhere in search of decoying opportunities.

The field was spring barley drillings and there was so much grain on top it looked as though it had been broadcast deliberately. I arrived at 11:45 and watched for almost two hours, not quite believing that there were no pigeons willing to get the easy pickings. In that time I saw ten birds at the most and obviously no flight line.

So I drove a few miles to another field of barley drillings which had been in a week. There was a weak flight line in so not wanting to waste the whole day I quickly identified a suitable spot for a hide and set up. Fifteen shell decoys were all I took. Not that many pigeons came over the field but those that did decoyed well. It was a very pleasant afternoon and in two hours I shot and picked thirty birds.

When I drove home via the original field of choice there were three hundred birds on it!

Your lucky to still have some drillings going in , all ours spring barleys are in and already up a couple of inches , the pea drilling was a non event as useual, there been in about a week now and with them being drilled fairly deep it will be another week or so before they poke through the ground. at the moment the pigeons are still on short rape the problem is the fields that have been hit the hardest by pigeons are surrounded by woods and after a few shots you clear the area out .When I go I travel light with just a magnet, two floaters ,hide and 4 dead pigeons , on some fields you get about a dozen and that's it , and other fields where the woods are further away around 20 to 30 is about the norm , although fairly small bags there good sporting shots and I let my dog pick up as I get one so I get a bit of shooting and he get some retrieving a nice way to spend a warm afternoon

Nice to hear you are still getting some sport JDog, Our pigeons have vacated the rape now and simply vanished, presumably to a world of pigeon loving and eating tree buds etc. 100 acres of freshly sprouted peas here and no pigeons :sad1:

Personally i would get back to the drilled barley field asap, depending on the size of field 300 birds will soon clear up the surface seed!

I have never watched a field for longer without either diving in to shoot it or going off elsewhere in search of decoying opportunities.

The field was spring barley drillings and there was so much grain on top it looked as though it had been broadcast deliberately. I arrived at 11:45 and watched for almost two hours, not quite believing that there were no pigeons willing to get the easy pickings. In that time I saw ten birds at the most and obviously no flight line.

So I drove a few miles to another field of barley drillings which had been in a week. There was a weak flight line in so not wanting to waste the whole day I quickly identified a suitable spot for a hide and set up. Fifteen shell decoys were all I took. Not that many pigeons came over the field but those that did decoyed well. It was a very pleasant afternoon and in two hours I shot and picked thirty birds.

When I drove home via the original field of choice there were three hundred birds on it!

Get on it tomorrow and fill your boots!!

What time of day did you look at your Barley field? At the moment i am finding that pigeons are just not coming on to feed until after mid day. I recently watched a freshly drilled bean field with beans on the top, arriving at ten o clock i watched it for an hour and only about six pigeons showed any interest. At two in the afternoon the farmers on the phone telling me its covered, i popped over to have a look at three thirty and found over 1000 birds all over it. someone else had arranged to shoot it next day.