Sharpening up on skeet

ditchman

On reading many posts on shooting reports, the word skeet always comes into the conversation, i, like Motty reckon it is a good way to sharpen up

What i do is every now and then i go down the skeet range with a mate and we both try to do as well as we can on the first round...after that we get board and on the second round we try and shoot the birds as early as we can....we always shoot gun down

How do you use the skeet range...do you take it seriously...use it for practice or just a good time out to sharpen up ?

Guest stevo

I have always said IMO skeet is the best to practice shooting over Decoys , it will cover most of the situations you will ever come across while decoying .

stevo

I have always said IMO skeet is the best to practice shooting over Decoys , it will cover most of the situations you will ever come across while decoying .

stevo

Apart from a bird swooping in over your head on a 60 mile an hour wind straight to the deeks only to see you twitch turn it's wing and head off into the distance before you've got the safety off ;) plus a few others ;)

I occasionally nip down the skeet range in Great Yarmouth, the old boy who owns it lets you do as you like, we just take random stands and shoot as many as we can in ones or twos, The only thing I find is that its all a bit short range and low, a lot of pigeons come in high or well out on the edge of the pattern, but shooting skeet does sharpen up your reactions, we normally just do a couple of boxes then go home, I prefer sporting clays, a lot more variation in bird presentation, but give me the live birds any day, theres no substitute for the real thing. :yahoo::yahoo:

I occasionally nip down the skeet range in Great Yarmouth, the old boy who owns it lets you do as you like, we just take random stands and shoot as many as we can in ones or twos, The only thing I find is that its all a bit short range and low, a lot of pigeons come in high or well out on the edge of the pattern, but shooting skeet does sharpen up your reactions, we normally just do a couple of boxes then go home, I prefer sporting clays, a lot more variation in bird presentation, but give me the live birds any day, theres no substitute for the real thing. :yahoo::yahoo:

the old boy who owns it is Mr Billy Bell.........that i believe is the first registered skeet range in the UK....when the Americans hit Yarmouth they did a deal with Billy and thats how it got built, Billy has shot with the Duke of Edinburgh, Van Cutsem and many other toffs...he used to be the Head of the gipsey federation of Europe...he cant read and cant write but he taught John Bidewell to shoot...john Bidewells brother looks after the traps, ive know Billy for 40 years and 4 of us used to game shoot together every year until 6 years ago........you couldnt wish to meet a finer man..........when you see him next time ask him about when he taught Bidewell to shoot......Billy uses a 20 Bore now and is still a good shot...Dean his adopted son is a fine shot too...

Guest stevo

Apart from a bird swooping in over your head on a 60 mile an hour wind straight to the deeks only to see you twitch turn it's wing and head off into the distance before you've got the safety off ;) plus a few others ;)

I think your find that's the first bird from trap 1 , might not be 60 mph but good enough :-) . I have done the safety catch bit soooooo many times haha

1926.....used to be called clock shooting...then a competion was held to give a name to the modified layout....was won buy a scandinavian lady who called it Skeet after the norwegian word "skyte"....meaning to shoot

anyway that was what i was told, if there is any truth in it let me know....

On reading many posts on shooting reports, the word skeet always comes into the conversation, i, like Motty reckon it is a good way to sharpen up

What i do is every now and then i go down the skeet range with a mate and we both try to do as well as we can on the first round...after that we get board and on the second round we try and shoot the birds as early as we can....we always shoot gun down

How do you use the skeet range...do you take it seriously...use it for practice or just a good time out to sharpen up ?

If there is just the 2 of you on the range, take your pigeon shooting seat and practice shooting skeet whist sitting down. I shoot most of my pigeons whilst sitting down. You do need the front net on your hide that bit lower and keep still. Mount the gun and shoot as soon as the birds are over the decoys.

• 2 weeks later...

Also try pouring a cup of coffee from your flask or turn your back and start having a pee and still shoot the skeet. That's how Pigeons always seem to come into my decoys :lol:

ditchman - I shot at Billy Bell's skeet range in the mid 1980s.

I had just bought an auto from Uttings in Norwich and wanted to try it out, whilst on holiday. Local Police directed me to Billy's.

I asked about buying shells, as I had none. Billy told me to get some from the boot of his car - wouldn't take anything for them either. Very, very hospitable bloke.

ditchman - I shot at Billy Bell's skeet range in the mid 1980s.

I had just bought an auto from Uttings in Norwich and wanted to try it out, whilst on holiday. Local Police directed me to Billy's.

I asked about buying shells, as I had none. Billy told me to get some from the boot of his car - wouldn't take anything for them either. Very, very hospitable bloke.

he is still exactly the same now....and the thing that annoys me he still looks the same as 30 years ago !.............the local police know billy very well......he is a true gipsy and very honourable to......i remember uttings as well inbetween the YMCA and the cop shop...