help from 177 hunters

greenhout

OK, for the last 35 years I have shot Weirauch rifles with 22. I have just ordered a hw97kt to complement my hw100. Only I have decided to go for 177 since it is flatter out to 35m. The order will go to hull cartridge on Monday so I have two days and cold feet. Accuracy is everything right? So 177 should take down rabbits easily enough. Can I find some experiences from 177 hunters. No problem knocking them over? Anyone using 177 for hunting please convince me I am not being an idiot!!

No need to worry as long as you do your bit properly the gun will be fine. A head shot bunny from a .177 is likely to be a very dead bunny - I use a HW100 PCP. Good hunting and have fun!

Choose a pellet that suits your gun.

You are not being an idiot. You are being a wise and seasoned hunter! .177 has been my mainstay for a few years now. rabbits, pigeons, rats, magpies etc. you name it it's a great tool. If I was forced to have just one calibre, it would be .177 without a doubt. It's especially good for shooting after dark when it can be a touch harder to be accurate with ranging your target. I've taken pigeons out to 60 with it, but keep rabbits below 50. That's down to the power limitations of the gun though, not the calibre.

Cue the flurry of agreements!

You have chosen wisely, my son. I don't count myself as an expert-there are far more experienced Airgun users on here-the likes of evo (Tony Belas's love child) who forget more every day than I ever knew but I have shot Airguns for over 35 years and don't care to think about how many guns I have used (I also used to instruct on Airgun shooting) but I consider the smaller caliber to be king in any situation sub 12ft/lb. You are, most likely, about to get several pages of people explaining how they have killed Buffalo at 200 yards with their Webley Tempest in .22 flavour but do yourself a favour-shoot the .177 over the next year and then come back and give us your opinion-pretty sure you will have seen the light :yes:

Edited by bruno22rf

No argument. I was in the same position about 5 years ago. This afternoon I've had a plinking session in the woods with a .177 prosport. Bashing 5p sized washers at 50+ yards regularly, maybe 8 out of 10.

If someone gave me a .22 now I would sell it or swap it for a .177 or maybe plink with it but no way would I hunt with it beyond 25 - 30 yards.

To be honest timmytree-you are using probably the finest springer ever made though :yes:

They're good but not everyone gets on with them, I reckon more people prefer a TX to be honest. The PS in .177 does it for me though. Great to shoot targets with and fantastic for hide shooting.

They're good but not everyone gets on with them, I reckon more people prefer a TX to be honest. The PS in .177 does it for me though. Great to shoot targets with and fantastic for hide shooting.

I do prefer the shotgun for the hide timmy

Hunted with 17s for years. You will not regret it!

<script pagespeed_no_defer="" type="text/javascript">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=e9cce60548f8227c96fd019eafc898ea&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=308859&p=2789749&md5check=71b31ed1b5c39b1d4e0a3a25f5777c31&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,3SEF02nTJMo'); //]]></script>airgunrabbits.jpg&&0

have you stolen my dog UD

In the right conditions yes. But close to a road and houses, when you've only an hour to spare? Out comes the fuds in front of my permanent hide in a ditch, comfy chair and I'm well away. :yes:

F6A377A5-F765-4B22-97E2-382E193E44B7-101

Prosport Timmy? Excellent bag there too, not done that many in one session yet, well done you :good::good:

Edited by turbo33

Thanks, I just looked up the details on that day, very stiff westerly breeze in my face, most birds coming up the hedgeline to the left and circling before returning over my head to land in stubble or on wires at 35 - 50 yards. 26 shot, 25 picked up. My diary says 90 minutes in total!

This pic is not the same trip but is the same view from the same hide.

0BB2F8AC-7D95-4FB5-BE0D-A22478A6DD60-611

OK, for the last 35 years I have shot Weirauch rifles with 22. I have just ordered a hw97kt to complement my hw100. Only I have decided to go for 177 since it is flatter out to 35m. The order will go to hull cartridge on Monday so I have two days and cold feet. Accuracy is everything right? So 177 should take down rabbits easily enough. Can I find some experiences from 177 hunters. No problem knocking them over? Anyone using 177 for hunting please convince me I am not being an idiot!!

I've not shot air since moving to fac but rest assured 177 legal limit air is deadly for hunting.

Fast and accurate, I had loads of success with it.

Edit: I also had 22 for years thinking it was the only way, knowing what I know now if I ever need to get another air rifle again it would be 177 without doubt. I'm talking sub 12ft lb.

Edited by Muddy Funker