Coming on nicely

fenboy

After my well documented difficulties with my first Lab Milo I am please to say my new pup Drake is coming along very nicely .

He is steady to dummies , walks nicely to heel on and off lead recalls very well and stops on the whistle.

I have now started to give him some memory retrieves using both Dummies and cold game , so far he is making light work of it .

He is still a young dog and I will not be doing much more with him other than re-enforce what he has already learnt until the spring , hopefully he will be ready to start accompany me on the marsh come next september.

Edited by fenboy

Good boy.

As you know others on this forum would be working a dog of that age.

Never a good idea to rush, and as I have a dog already I have no need to push things anymore than I have done .

I think for just over 8 months old he is more than where he needs to be at.

Very well done, good to see someone that understands that slow and steady makes a good gundog not fast and hot that end up total nutters.

Nice dog by the way looks like an athlete.

Thanks , he certainly has a more athletic build than my other dog , he has quite a lot of trial blood in him but unlike a lot of such dogs he has a lovely thick double coat so he should make a very good fowling dog.

Glad to see your pup Drake is coming along nicely , I can see him picking up pigeons in the late spring at the rate he is going now .

Mine is about a month younger than yours , now walking to heel ( most of the time ) sit and stay and never had any trouble on recall with the whistle , gun shy isn't a problem neither as he has been up the local clay shoot a few times and has shown no signs of fear what so ever , as for retrieving training , I wont start till the end of the season because I will soon start taking him with my old dog for the odd evening flight just to get him used to the conditions and I don't want him competing with the old dog .

He's not doing that as a memory as he hunts out from being cast off, you don't really want him to be doing that. You need to do some work with him on tracks, start short & simple before doing longer retrieves. Make it simple by making the retrieve easy to see & he won't have to hunt for it, work up the distance & then to make it more difficult put the retrieve in longer grass on the wind side of the track, as he runs the track he'll scent them dummy.

I'd also be looking to cast the dog off from heel, at this stage you're looking to set him up for doing blinds, you're looking to create a drill where you line him up & say go, the dog will go whether he's seen a dummy thrown or not.

Dog looks like he's up for it, he comes back with at a decent pace which is nice to see.