Can someone explain the beretta models to me

WinchesterDave

Well, after been shooting for just over 6 years and my first gun being a Winchester, I've always considered my self to be a Browning kind of a man lol, I now have the 525 Sporter 1 which I love. However, recently after handling a few Berettas and using a 20 bore silver pigeon... And getting on really, really well with it, I've decided to look into the Beretta range.

I understand the browning range but with berettas to me it just doesn't seem that simple to understand....

686 - 687 - 692 all with their different models under them.

There is potential for me to be exchanging my Winchester for a beretta Silver pigeon 1 20 bore in the next few weeks hopefully so I am wanting to get to grips with the make and understand its series and model labelling :)

Cheers in advance,

Dave

It's easy there is the 68 series action so all guns starting with 68 like 682 686 687 are all the same action differences then are stock shapes and grades of wood barrel lengths bores and choke design and types then degree of engraving on the action and finish to the wood. So a basic cheap silver pigeon is the same basic gun as a top of the line EELL.

Then there is the new 69 series newer version action of the 68.

Then they have the cross bolt drop out trigger models like the DT10 then onto the SO models.

More expensive the gun range the more it's been hand fetled. I sil pig one will not shoot any different to a sil pig five.

Browning are no different with two main action types.

Hi Figgy

The 689 uses a strengthen and Modified version of 20 bore action
built with rifle type firing pins and a stronger breech face.
Which is used to build a o/u Express rifle in various calibers Inc
30-06,8 x57jrs and the one I own in 9·3 x74r.
Sorry but I don't know how to load pics of my rifle to this site from my
Phone.

Bob

Here is a photo of the net http://revivaler.com/beretta-silver-sable-double-rifles/

L

Edited by mowdy

Cheers all for both the funny and helpful replies

Looking online at a few sporters, is a 682 E and older model than the 686 E (Evo?)

The 682 Gold E and the original 686E were contemporaries for a few years from 2001 on. All the competition guns back then were built in the custom shop by gunsmiths and had things like toughened firing pins, hand regulated triggers and so on. Generally they were better built guns than the run of the mill 686/687 etc.

The 686E EVO however is not the same and is simply a redecorated SP-1, built on the same production line with no special parts or attention. A bog standard Beretta parts bin special.

I might be wrong but I don't think the current SP1 has optima barrels and chokes whereas the "Evo" 686E does; you have move up the range before they become a standard feature. Also I understand there are differences in some of the receivers throughout the range, material wise, but I could be wrong here; the 682 Gold E is different strength wise in respect of the receiver albeit the dimensions are the same. My experience is that there are so many variations that very few 68's are the same and it is better to tick off the boxes to see if it is what you want. Having also just picked up a bog standard 686 essential to go with my 686E and 682 Gold (the latter highly rated) there is one clear similarity - they all shoot in the direction i point the barrels.

I understand that Optima barrels rely on plastic cartridges so, being a fibre user I stick to the Mobil barrels which have little back-bore.

A

The SP-1 started life around 2011 with Optima barrels on the sporting version. A couple of years back they changed over to Optima HP. Same story with the 686E EVO, the only physical difference between the 2 guns is the extended chokes on the EVO.

The receivers across the 686/7/2 tange have all been identical for at least 16 years.

Westward, thank you for clearing that up that is massively helpful!

Based on what you've said, the older 682 Gold E and 686E would be the better guns to go for in terms in build quality etc over the newer Evo despite them being cheaper to now buy?

Also, I've been reading on the Sv10 range, the prevail mainly for clays; am I right in thinking that the sv10 was the first incarnation of the 690 action?

Cheers

Dave

Westward, thank you for clearing that up that is massively helpful!

Based on what you've said, the older 682 Gold E and 686E would be the better guns to go for in terms in build quality etc over the newer Evo despite them being cheaper to now buy?

Also, I've been reading on the Sv10 range, the prevail mainly for clays; am I right in thinking that the sv10 was the first incarnation of the 690 action?

Cheers

Dave

Yes Dave. Right on both counts. I owned a 1st generation 686E for several years from new then traded it in against a new SV10 Prevail 1. Whilst the Prevail never went wrong, there were several very avoidable QA issues that I discovered during my time with it. When I wanted them addressed, GMK claimed I hadn't registered the warranty which was nonsense. To be honest, I'm not too sure I'd want to put any gun in their hands anyway. My 686E OTOH was in a different league for fit and finish etc. a far better presented gun and it never went wrong either.

The 690 is mechanically the same as the Prevail 1 which is no bad thing as they handle very well - apart from the heavy triggers. IMO better handling than any of the 68X family.