Fox club

WelshMike

I picked up the pulsar xq50 last Wednesday and this big old dog fox is one of seven I've had since. Got to say I'm well impressed with the unit, having spent a bit of time setting it up as I want it the unit literally shows me what I been missing (with the lamp or nv that is)! If it's there you will spot it. Using the .223 with some home build nv and the thermal as a spotter I think I'm going to be busy over the next few months!

post-51912-0-77938000-1473001011_thumb.jpg

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes if your a prossfessional fox controller thermal and night vision is the only way. I calculated it up my NV is worth over £5k not including rifle etc.

I was out last night knocking a few rabbits with a fair bit of tackle.

Frightening sometimes when you add it all up.

But still it's all paid for and I owe nowt to no one ;-)

This Dog fox appeared at just a tad under 200yds were the 53 grain vmax stopped it.

Nice and chunky.

attachicon.gif2016-09-02 16.40.38.jpg

Well done mate :good:

Out around the Partridge pen the other night with Ed. We got this little one, but it's not the one I saw the night before.

And before anyone has a go at my artistic impression, it was the only angle to take it from to get it on here, as there is nothing on the other side

I think my boot is rather fetching though :)

attachicon.gifIMG_20160902_56722.jpg

Nicely done. I see the foot fetish is creeping back in :lol::lol::lol:

I picked up the pulsar xq50 last Wednesday and this big old dog fox is one of seven I've had since. Got to say I'm well impressed with the unit, having spent a bit of time setting it up as I want it the unit literally shows me what I been missing (with the lamp or nv that is)! If it's there you will spot it. Using the .223 with some home build nv and the thermal as a spotter I think I'm going to be busy over the next few months!

Well done buddy, very envious of your new toy. Keep up the good work.

Not doing badly Doug. The Memsahib is a lot better than she was. Has come out of fairly land so I have got my best mate back. She's had another operation and that has gone OK too.

Can now leave her on her own for short periods and have got care cover for when I go fowling or foxing etc. Got my life back to some extent. Have high hopes for this season's activities.

Still got problems with my right eye after cataract removal so having to shoot rifle off left shoulder at the moment. Feels most weird. Knocking down the odd Charlie or two so it isn't to bad.

From your posts I see you are still enjoying yourself with the long range and thermal stuff.

I'll get the tenner off you next year at Catton Park.

Headed out on Friday night after the rabbits on a piece of ground where the wheat has just been cut so a bit easier to see whats about. Arrived and parked up so I could start at the rabbits off the pickup roof, quick flick of the torch was met by a nice set of fox eyes. Over to the NV and a hand squeak saw the fox come hurtling across the field. He stopped at 40 yards and got a 17 grain v max from the .17hmr straight between the eyes.

31 rabbits later I was about to head home when I spotted some more nice bright eyes. Hand squeak saw this one head over but he stopped on the top of the bank and wouldnt present a safe shot. A little more squeaking got his interest and he finally presented a shot at 60 yards. Same shot placement as the first. No 1 was a full grown dog fox cub and no 2 was a adult dog. All in all not a bad nights work.

Since I am getting stick from the airy fairy picture brigade I have pushed the artistic boat out :lol::lol::lol:

2%20foxes%2002.09.16_zpsrqwdwlvm.jpg

Not doing badly Doug. The Memsahib is a lot better than she was. Has come out of fairly land so I have got my best mate back. She's had another operation and that has gone OK too.

Can now leave her on her own for short periods and have got care cover for when I go fowling or foxing etc. Got my life back to some extent. Have high hopes for this season's activities.

Still got problems with my right eye after cataract removal so having to shoot rifle off left shoulder at the moment. Feels most weird. Knocking down the odd Charlie or two so it isn't to bad.

From your posts I see you are still enjoying yourself with the long range and thermal stuff.

I'll get the tenner off you next year at Catton Park.

Good news Ben. Nice to hear that things are better than they were.

Hope you manage to get to the meet. I'll put £10 away for you. ;-)

Back to lazymans shooting tonight, just above the chicken pens, on the picnic benches. Got there early just in case, I had the 17hmr for anything close in the pens and the 222 with the photon for anything not. Saw an old un early on which just kept going without looking back and my mate didn't get a shot off. Called with a little digital for a while, and this Vixen came through the hedge, she got to 150yds paced but that was it, wouldn't budge, in fact she sat looking at us for a good 5 mins before deciding to lie down and watch us for some more.

I got fed up before she did and decided to take the shot, In truth all I could see was her eyes and ears above the grass, so I was pleased with the outcome, my 222 is a remington 700 with a timney trigger.

No I didn't shoot her twice, don't know how I did that :|

post-64160-0-01521900-1473196842_thumb.jpg

post-64160-0-52383400-1473196989_thumb.jpg

Edited by tonker

Back to lazymans shooting tonight, just above the chicken pens, on the picnic benches. Got there early just in case, I had the 17hmr for anything close in the pens and the 222 with the photon for anything not. Saw an old un early on which just kept going without looking back and my mate didn't get a shot off. Called with a little digital for a while, and this Vixen came through the hedge, she got to 150yds paced but that was it, wouldn't budge, in fact she sat looking at us for a good 5 mins before deciding to lie down and watch us for some more.

I got fed up before she did and decided to take the shot, In truth all I could see was her eyes and ears above the grass, so I was pleased with the outcome, my 222 is a remington 700 with a timney trigger.

No I didn't shoot her twice, don't know how I did that :|

Well done bud :good:

Headed out on Friday night after the rabbits on a piece of ground where the wheat has just been cut so a bit easier to see whats about. Arrived and parked up so I could start at the rabbits off the pickup roof, quick flick of the torch was met by a nice set of fox eyes. Over to the NV and a hand squeak saw the fox come hurtling across the field. He stopped at 40 yards and got a 17 grain v max from the .17hmr straight between the eyes.

31 rabbits later I was about to head home when I spotted some more nice bright eyes. Hand squeak saw this one head over but he stopped on the top of the bank and wouldnt present a safe shot. A little more squeaking got his interest and he finally presented a shot at 60 yards. Same shot placement as the first. No 1 was a full grown dog fox cub and no 2 was a adult dog. All in all not a bad nights work.

S

Since I am getting stick from the airy fairy picture brigade I have pushed the artistic boat out :lol::lol::lol:

2%20foxes%2002.09.16_zpsrqwdwlvm.jpg

Not a bad layout there Mike standards are improving. Did you have to carry them far?

looks like you've all been having a brama of a time while I've been on holiday, going to get out weekend if work catch up allows

keep up the good work lads :)

nice result mike, sometimes you can walk for hours and not see a thing another time they're queuing up, **** law i suppose

patrol

looks like you've all been having a brama of a time while I've been on holiday, going to get out weekend if work catch up allows

keep up the good work lads :)

nice result mike, sometimes you can walk for hours and not see a thing another time they're queuing up, **** law i suppose

patrol

Hope you had a nice break mate. Had the reverse last night where I walked about for hours with no luck.

We had a better night last night Mike.

1st stand we got set up , I played rabbit distress on the caller and within seconds a fox appeared at the edge of the wood :) anyway it proceeded to come in to the caller ending up less than 10 yds from it . Jeff then shot it off sticks around 70 yds :)

Continued calling and Jeff spotted an eye in the barley to our left which I could not see from my angle , I did notice it shortly afterwards and knew it was a fox but the shot wasn't on. We shuffled a few yards to the left and I lip squeaked it a bit closer to get a positive ID ....No 2 in the bag :yes:

49%20001_zpsxytb6lw1.jpg

We then went to another farm where I saw a fox last week which scarpered. We got set up and once again a fox emerged from the hedge instantly and headed for the caller , Jeff passed me the thermal as he tried to find it with the NV. " Where is it " he said " At the caller " I replied.

Anyway the next few minutes were comical :yes::lol: Jeff eventually spotted it , went to shoot but had bolt up , bolt down , fired . CLICK :lol: no round chambered so fox started walking off .....it stopped , Jeff shot and missed :lol::lol: :lol: Anyway thought chance had gone , but Jeff quickly switched caller to red fox pups and unbelievably the fox came back out into field :yes: this time the NOVICE had a round chambered and grassed this lucky cub :yahoo:

Jeff with the lip on and the unlucky or stupid cub :lol:

49%20003_zpskunvxvn5.jpg

It was an eventful session which I thoroughly enjoyed ......just need to keep reminding Jeff to make sure rifle is loaded :lol::lol:

:lol::lol:

good result Mark, sounds like a great laugh. Always nice to be on the giving end of the pee taking for once :)

It was Mike..only did it as things were going too smoothly and it needed livening up a bit "cough cough" :whistling:

Anyway i should get lots of credit for the 1st 2 i shot as they were off Mark's HOBBIT sized sticks and i'm normal .... sized :yes::)

The good thing about your shooting buddy messing up is that it gives you licence to remind him about for at least six months :lol::lol::lol: blow for blow, could even be a year if its a really good bloomer, downside is you can't afford to miss afterwards yourself :sad1: because you know whats coming :yahoo:

sounds like you've had a enjoyable night out

patrol

Out tonight up the tower on the Chicken farm, quiet for a while and then what looked like a big old dog popped out of the ditch about 160 away.

He started to come then changed his mind and started quartering away. I was hopeing he would turn, but no such luck, so I opted for the shot. I hit it hard in the front shoulder, farmer heard the contact from inside the shed. The fox rolled over and I thought it was dead.

Having made the gun safe, I came down from the tower and went to pick it up, nothing!! :no: I saw where it had been, and saw where it went, (couldn't be far) but it had gone through the hedge into a field of long grass yet to be cut. no chance of finding it, I'll go out with a dog tomorrow and hopfully get a pic then.