Pattern master code black choke

brownshooter222

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use 25 gram #3 in my 12g auto for ducks throw the code black duck up to now i have had one diver out of over 30 ducks shot on the marsh and over my pond plus 3 geese i could"t do that 3-4 years ago with factory chokes and at the ranges i am now killing duck clean in the air. I also could"t get any where near the density in my patterns that i am getting with the code black choke.

For what i use the throw my choke for given shooting light duck loads to big 3.5" BBB for geese i have loads that do the job and do the job well it hardly ever comes out the gun only if i am going to use real big shot T or F shot on the shore.

But in my opinion they do what it says on the tin and i have two one the way for the 20 bore and will be ordering some for the 10 next year

I just don't understand this, one minute people are saying the magic lies in shortening the shot string not the tightness, then the packaging blurb says it because it delivers 70% more energy and now it's the density !

good video, just shows hoe high the big loads make your gun pattern,dial that out to fifty yards and its easy to miss. Plenty of penetration with whatever carts and shot he was using.

I thought the same, if this guy has trouble placing the whole pattern on a static target one can only guess where his shot will end up on a moving one.

I have shot several pigeons with steel, but I wouldn't buy a specific choke to shoot pigeons, and I certainly wouldn't use a choke that's designed with steel shot in mind, if I only used lead.

Figgy, were you referencing that rubbish Terror choke video?

Of course that's your prerogative motty. I thought i'd try one of these Patternmaster's out of interest. I thought it best to try one after crowman's praise.

It does give me options for the odd duck, goose foray with steel shot.

Edited by Whitebridges

I'm torn here ... I have a terror in my 10, and wouldn't be without it.

I also know that the two fowlers who kill the most foreshore geese I know, both use factory chokes.

My 12g has the factory 1/2 in it (can't get it out ;) )... and it folds stuff up dead as well as.

So .. I think aftermarket chokes can help with lethality in certain circumstances ... but really no substitute for getting it in the right place to start with.

Thought i'd try the Patternmaster pigeon choke but couldn't find enough live ones to make a trip in the field worthwhile.

So, I nipped down to Eriswell. I put roughly 120 carts ( mostly Lyalvale Express Power Blue and some Hull Sovereign's ) through the Xtreme.

If any of you know Eriswell ( the old Lakenheath ground ) they have some quite nice long targets nowadays.

I was really chuffed with the breaks I got ! A lot of stuff was really powdered. I wouldn't want to shoot anything to close with a heavy load.

The Xtreme came with three chokes, cylinder, half and full. I'd like to know where this pigeon chokes sits in comparison.

Thinking about drawing some 30 inch circles on some old wallpaper !

All this talk of extended range sounds like a lot of sky busting to me I am having the opposite thoughts I am missing to many ducks over decoys at 35 yds with half choke & 36grm steel 4 due to the pattern being to tight considering going to improved cylinder but I think the heavy duty wad will still hold a very tight pattern .

All this talk of extended range sounds like a lot of sky busting to me I am having the opposite thoughts I am missing to many ducks over decoys at 35 yds with half choke & 36grm steel 4 due to the pattern being to tight considering going to improved cylinder but I think the heavy duty wad will still hold a very tight pattern .

Or try using 32grams of Steel 5 shot at that range

I wouldn't have thought that half choke at that range would be too tight. You obviously just weren't accurate enough.

I use extra full more and more these days. I missed some close ducks this morning with that choking. Obviously the pattern is pretty tight, but I simply wasn't accurate enough. Once I sorted my aim out I was knocking a few ducks down.

I have tried 32 grm 5 but even that is very tight ( the pattern can bee seen on the water ) and Motty is quite right if I could put this pattern on a teal it would go no where my problem is I am not that good and need a bit more spread even in the good old lead days I killed more with a skeet gun . I had a wigeon come in a bit wide the other day and at 45 yards half choke pole axed it but like Scolopax I belive in getting them in close they can sure get out quick when they want to.

Tighter chokes for me results in more dead birds than cripples.

• 2 weeks later...