Caravan questions

team tractor

Give it a month or so, then it will be a good time to buy, as the season is coming to a close, and places go quite on the sales side. Get a bargain hopefully, what sort of price range are you looking at, the biggest problem with caravans is damp, , keep asking questions, i have caravaned for nearly fourty years now.

Do you need to take an extra test as long as the combined weight is less than 3.5 tonnes?

My van is 3t so I've no choice and I'm limited to 750kg I think it is :(

Give it a month or so, then it will be a good time to buy, as the season is coming to a close, and places go quite on the sales side. Get a bargain hopefully, what sort of price range are you looking at, the biggest problem with caravans is damp, , keep asking questions, i have caravaned for nearly fourty years now.

I can rebuild anything I need to inside as I've built several horse box kitchens but I'm worried about chassis / wheels/ breaks / gas lines etc

Edited by team tractor

What van you got for towing, the 750 kilos is the max a unbreaked you can toe. Is it a merc van, then you could tow loads more there will be a chart online for your vechicle towing weight, depending on the age of caravan all the thing can be checked gas, electrics, its the damp that the killer in a caravan. Chassis will be galvanised so should be ok, tyres could be a problem if the caravan has been stood a while, cracks in the tyre walls. a spare is a must. some older vans you had to buy later. Beg, steal or borrow a damp meter and chech the inside, around window, toilet area, around the kitchen area. also is the floor springy or delamanated, but that can be repaired with a kit.

Most drivers don't do over 50 so remember to pull over every couple of miles to let traffic past. Make sure you close the skylights before you tow it.

Don't admit you have one in polite company, unless you know the other people are campers.

Make sure you get some of those pretty fairy lights and a few led lights to attract the moths at night.

Try and get some baggy pyjamas for going to the toilet block in the morning.

:-)

Most drivers don't do over 50 so remember to pull over every couple of miles to let traffic past. Make sure you close the skylights before you tow it.

Don't admit you have one in polite company, unless you know the other people are campers.

Make sure you get some of those pretty fairy lights and a few led lights to attract the moths at night.

Try and get some baggy pyjamas for going to the toilet block in the morning.

:-)

I've been camping for 10 years in a tent so used to the toilet block run ;)

What van you got for towing, the 750 kilos is the max a unbreaked you can toe. Is it a merc van, then you could tow loads more there will be a chart online for your vechicle towing weight, depending on the age of caravan all the thing can be checked gas, electrics, its the damp that the killer in a caravan. Chassis will be galvanised so should be ok, tyres could be a problem if the caravan has been stood a while, cracks in the tyre walls. a spare is a must. some older vans you had to buy later. Beg, steal or borrow a damp meter and chech the inside, around window, toilet area, around the kitchen area. also is the floor springy or delamanated, but that can be repaired with a kit.

I drive a vw t5.1

All merc and vw are around the 3ton area and I'm restricted too 3.5 so stuffed without the other category's at the moment.

It's silly my mates can who are only 2 years older than me. I can't even drive a mini bus transit but i can the same van limited to 8 seats

Edited by team tractor

You don't have to take a new test to tow as long as the combined weight does not exceed 3,500 kg .i belive it lets you tow a caravan or trailer that weighs about 1100 kg fully loaded .if you look on the gov web re towing it will explaine . Ie the cars weigh x caravan = 3,500. Look on net put in towing laws it will tell .it says you can drive a car or van upto 3,500 MAM towing a trailer off up to 750kgMAM.tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg

Edited by Guest

hi mate I done the test and failed it's a big scam I passed the towing it's easy but failed the driving test which is the same as your driving test which you have all ready past a driver flashed me to go through some filter lights and got a big X you can tow anything as long as car and caravan don't Way Over 31/2 tone or L plates and put a older person next to you who has it on there licence what's what I do Wife has it on hers £680 for lessons and test BIG rip off

Can I insure it seperate ? For theft ?

What's the extra test like anyone ???

Anyone done it?

Most Van chassis are aluminium now, so no worries on that front. Buy a damp meter and check everywhere for damp. What ever you spend on a van, if its damp it ends up

worthless and its hard to fix. You basically have to remove the whole inside of the van to get at the damp. Added to that the need to fix where ever its coming in from makes it a nightmare !

Check the floors aren't springy or have soft spots as they can start to delaminate.

Anything else is relatively easy to fix, and bits are easy to find.

Ignore the anti caravan brigade, I have had mine for 5 years, time spent in it with the kids has been priceless.

Enjoy

If you find one for sale privately ( best value) then get a local mobile caravan mech. to give her the once over - wont cost much and could save you heaps, if the owner is not willing to let you do this then walk away. Make sure you get one with a mover - it will make little difference to the price but is expensive to have one fitted.

Edited by bruno22rf

Look carefully into the economics of caravanning before you jump in feet first. Its great fun but the modern caravans cost a fortune and depreciate like stink.

I'm not trying to put you off just making sure you keep your sense of perspective. I know people who have spent 20 grand on a van and then only used it a few times. Kids grow up very quickly

The other thing is a growing number of campsites don't allow "commercial vehicles" This was started to stop workmen sleeping rough in their vans (I would imagine) but like a lot of things it is a creeping regulation that is starting to bite a lot harder.

There is somebody on here who runs a caravan site, it would be interesting to hear his views on that aspect.

Edited by Vince Green

You don't have to take a new test to tow as long as the combined weight does not exceed 3,500 kg .i belive it lets you tow a caravan or trailer that weighs about 1100 kg fully loaded .if you look on the gov web re towing it will explaine . Ie the cars weigh x caravan = 3,500. Look on net put in towing laws it will tell .it says you can drive a car or van upto 3,500 MAM towing a trailer off up to 750kgMAM.tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg

My vans a 3000kg so I've no chance

the rule above is in force if you passed after 2013 but I can tow a trail upto 750 max even on a 3.5t van which combines 750+3.5t

I've been scanning away all day reading every silly little change the government is making ;)

hi mate I done the test and failed it's a big scam I passed the towing it's easy but failed the driving test which is the same as your driving test which you have all ready past a driver flashed me to go through some filter lights and got a big X you can tow anything as long as car and caravan don't Way Over 31/2 tone or L plates and put a older person next to you who has it on there licence what's what I do Wife has it on hers £680 for lessons and test BIG rip off

Can I insure it seperate ? For theft ?

What's the extra test like anyone ???

Anyone done it?

Wow that's a lot of money

Look carefully into the economics of caravanning before you jump in feet first. Its great fun but the modern caravans cost a fortune and depreciate like stink.

I'm not trying to put you off just making sure you keep your sense of perspective. I know people who have spent 20 grand on a van and then only used it a few times. Kids grow up very quickly

The other thing is a growing number of campsites don't allow "commercial vehicles" This was started to stop workmen sleeping rough in their vans (I would imagine) but like a lot of things it is a creeping regulation that is starting to bite a lot harder.

There is somebody on here who runs a caravan site, it would be interesting to hear his views on that aspect.

I know what your saying on commercial vehicles but the day they stop a vw is the end of camping ;)

I'm just brassed off with a tent now

You are right about needing the extra test if you are towing with a large van as the combined Max weight of the towing vehicle and max weight of the caravan is over 3500kg, so you will be limited to 750kg and nowadays even the smallest vans are over that. The test itself is quite easy i think the caravan club have a write up on it with lots of useful information. The hardest part of the test i found was loosing all my habits and remembering mirror signal maneuver and checking mirrors before changing gear etc.

For insurance you can insure the caravan separately which covers theft and if you damage it in an accident which is your fault. Your car insurance will cover any 3rd party damage you cause but will not pay for the caravan to be repaired.

As for towing with a van you will get some funny looks when pulling on site but assuming your not irish you should be fine, it would be worth calling ahead to the sites and just letting them know you have a van especially if its sign written.

Depending on the price you are looking at spending rather than buying private go to a dealer and ask for the trade price on something, it wont come with warranty etc but you can be pretty sure the dealer would have given it a good look over a damp test before taking it in part ex. Alternatively pay the asking price and get all the warranty etc. For an idea i recently looked at a caravan, dealer price: £7995 but he would do it as a trade deal at £5800...which was around the money i could get one privately.

DO NOT BE TEMPTED BY A DAMP VAN!!!! no matter how good you carpentry skills are etc they are not worth the aggravation. The problem is always a lot bigger than you expect and curing the leak can be a pig as it is not necessarily near the damp area.

As for the costs of caravanning it can be cheap or very expensive. For you first van i would be looking around the £5-8k mark as this should get you a decent family van around 2008ish. If you try it for a year and dont like you will be able to sell on for virtually the same money. Best thing i find with the kids is its a home from home and going away in the van is very little stress, just chuck some clothes in and some food out the cupboards and we are off.