Eley Olympic Blues- Confetti

HW95J

Got some of these in 28g 7.5 FW yesterday and tried them out this afternoon. I was surprised by the confetti effect that they had going on- was the worst I've ever experienced to the point I couldn't always see if I'd hit the clay or not! The 'confetti' pattern was like a shattered clay in itself. Was using them alongside Velocity + (exactly the same load etc) and they were just fine as ever. Is this a problem with certain batches or some other influence? They were cheap but to be honest I doubt I'd ever buy them again after that. Shame I got a whole slab, thought they had a good reputation.

Yes, the wadding- I wonder if it's the same regardless of load or if the same shell in 21g wouldn't have the same effect? It was distracting, especially if there was one of each as the first shot would be fine and then you'd get the special effects for the second barrel. Funny Baikal should be brought up because they were going through an IJ 26! First outing with that gun. Patterning just fine though the Velocity was the most impressive, incredibly tight. Anyway I'm hoping that the rest of the slab might be unaffected but if it is a batch issue then perhaps not.

Edit- Experiences with Baikal cartridges make entertaining reading on the forum, will pick some up if I ever have the opportunity

Edited by HW95J

That's just small talk ....

.... :)

I've had this on numerous cartridges. Hull CompX, Rio Target something or other, Imperial. Mostly on colder days and not on every shot. It can be distracting especially on a sim pair and the second clay being obscured. It maybe because I buy cheap cartridges, but a few confetti cartridges per 1000 not an issue for me. I can see how it could be in a competition though.

Edited by arm3000gt

Will see next time whether it was a problem with individual box or whole lot. I used to use EVO and velocity and never had a single cartridge with this issue. Not the end of the world but just a bit annoying seeing as I purchased a good few. Thanks for the responses

Is confetti that much a problem?

Back in the Baikal days there was a muzzle flash about 6ft long and an enormous boom that by the time that you had regained control the confetti had Landed and thoughts were more on whether you had caught the crop on fire. That was the black ones. The pink ones were quite good.

In the mid 1980s I went through a few thousand Baikal shells. Flames, confetti and a loud bang. That said, I have never a 9s shell which could hit distant clays like these.

The guy who runs our little clayground at home had some old ones last year, he was using them in our open ended shed, we use it on our DTL TRAP. as he was firing them, you could feel the floor shake, the noise of them was amazing. Mind there was plenty of miss fires aswell.

In the mid 1980s I went through a few thousand Baikal shells. Flames, confetti and a loud bang. That said, I have never a 9s shell which could hit distant clays like these.

I was given some black Baikal Record shells many years ago, took them to a competition and when I had a "no bird" on the rabbit stand I used one of these for the first target of the repeat pair.

Masses of flame, noise, bits of shredded fibre wad and a superb kill of the rabbit clay.

Funnily enough nobody wanted to try them after seeing one fired and the Ref asked if I was using them in the competition?

Later that day we cut one open to see just what was inside, at least 40g of mixed size shot on a thin fibre wad!