Pandas

Mungler

I absolutely agree with Packham's logic. However, with the panda as the figurehead for so many tofu-eating charities, I think it's unlikely the species will be hung out to dry. By natural extension, however, you could argue that heroin addicts don't want to be propped up, nor do sheep and other species that struggle to cling on to life. And if we want to talk about evolutionary cul de sacs, what about Wales and/or Mersea Island?

I absolutely agree with Packham's logic. However, with the panda as the figurehead for so many tofu-eating charities, I think it's unlikely the species will be hung out to dry. By natural extension, however, you could argue that heroin addicts don't want to be propped up, nor do sheep and other species that struggle to cling on to life. And if we want to talk about evolutionary cul de sacs, what about Wales and/or Mersea Island?

sheep are useful though :good:

Why waste that much money proping up a species that doesn't want to be propped up.

I'm with Darwin. My view, let 'em go.

Auction off the remaining ones in captivity to Chinese herbalists - it would make enough money to save all the elephants, rhinos and tigers.

Lovely creatures, but I agree Mung. Money could be spent elsewhere.

I'd agree with that, only if we can say the same thing for certain parts of Africa. If a species can't survive in the habitat it lives it then it should be allowed to die out.

There's a lot of species that can't survive in their own habitat, just fetch the Pands over here and give them a house and benefits, they'll breed like wildfire then, seems to work for others

I'd agree with that, only if we can say the same thing for certain parts of Africa. If a species can't survive in the habitat it lives it then it should be allowed to die out.

of course :good:

i think if they were left alone, they would do just fine. Evoloution has not selected them to become extinct, humans have made that choice for them.

the biggest problem is theres no habitat left for them in china (or very little), so if they were left alone theyd be gone in a few years.

There's a lot of species that can't survive in their own habitat, just fetch the Pands over here and give them a house and benefits, they'll breed like wildfire then, seems to work for others

of course :good:

the biggest problem is theres no habitat left for them in china (or very little), so if they were left alone theyd be gone in a few years.

Just in case anyone was in any doubt what I was inferring, I was talking about Human Beings in Africa...... I'd glady voted for letting the human population in Ethiopia die out in favour of letting the animals there take over.

The Chinese use pandas as political "gifts," albeit expensive ones.

When the gooks "give" a panda to a foreign zoo as an offering of friendship, the beneficiary has to pay "rent" to keep the animal, on the basis that it's a tourist attraction.

I say, chain it up and make it dance.

Then sell it to a bear-garden to fight mastiffs. To the death, obviously.

By the way, Edward I had the best method of dealing with the chug-nuts that hang on to England (Welsh and Scots, you know who you are)...

You could probably make a bit selling the last few off, as trophy shots to wealthy hunting clients

funnily enough if hunting them was allowed it would probably save them, much like species in Africa when they're worth mega bucks for the yanks to come over and shoot people stop persecuting them and encourage healthy poplulations.

p.s I'm worried you were watching a programme with Chris Packam on Mung or does he have an attractive co-presenter who makes it worth watching