Lightweight over and under

crazyfarmerboy

Hello, got the chance to use a beretta 687 lightweight on pigeons,

i could not believe how light and easy to swing it was,

does anyone know of any other over and unders that are likely to be as light and well balanced,

only asking as the beretta's are a tad too expensive for me at the moment,

thanks

I have a nice old Winchester XTR 101 Lightweight that I picked up for a good price sat in my cupboard, the wife and even my 10 year old manage it quite nicely with 21 grm cartridges, but my 10 year old prefers his Webley Junior .410 with Fiochi 19 grm 3" magnums.

Dave B

Look at second hand Beretta's on Guntrader, there will be a considerable saving compared to a new one. Sometimes see them in sporting gun magazine too. If you like the Beretta and can shoot with it, it would be a shame to settle for something else just because it's cheaper. I don't know who's catchphrase it is on this site, so i apologise for stealing it, "BUY ONCE, CRY ONCE". Sums it up nicely.

ft

This is it; http://www.sportinggun.co.uk/guns/145875/B...gun_review.html

Heres one on guntrader; Seller DetailsLloyd Jones - Lampeter Shooting Supplies - Market Place, Lampeter, South Wales. SA48 7DSTel: 01570-422 174, Fax: 01570-422 333Gun Details[This gun was for sale as of 16:52, 11 Oct 09]Beretta 12 gauge Ultralight Over and Under second hand Shotgun (R/H), £1,150 @ US$1,838/€1,246

Licence: Shotgun, Barrel: 28", Chokes: Multi & Multi

Origin: Italian, Cased: Makers-Plastic, Chamber: 2"3/4

Trigger: Single Trigger, Ejection: Ejector, Serial #: #

ft

yes, i do not have this sort of money to spend on a gun at the moment, i will aim to get one of these, i think it will be the lightweight, not ultra lightweight,

but i was just wondering of there were any other cheaper over and unders available, maybe older one's, i am not fussed about ejectors or double triggers,

Have a look on gun trader i picked one up for under £700 and my mate got a steal exact same gun for £550, keep looking, also try the local cley ground they ofttern have this sort of thing on the board,

how much do you want to spend.?

i find this gun unbeatable for the money a cracking all round gun....

gottsy boy

Franchi,s do a good lightweight gun, I think it,s called a Falconet! It weights 6lbs 1oz with a 28 or 30grm cartridge you could shoot all day. Believe me, you need to be doing a lot of shooting to justify the difference between £300 and a £1000 for what is basically the same tool, or have the disposable income to accomodate it. LOTW

thank you for the replies, will keep my eye out and gather some funds, just can not see me spending £700 on a gun at the moment without selling one of mine which is not the plan, i think i may save £20 a week or something and get a beretta, i am not fussed about using a heavy gun, just seemed to hit more with the beretta i had a few shots with,

i think i had 7 shots and took down 5 pigeons and hit 1, so to be honest better than i shoot with my other gun,

yes, i do not have this sort of money to spend on a gun at the moment, i will aim to get one of these, i think it will be the lightweight, not ultra lightweight,

but i was just wondering of there were any other cheaper over and unders available, maybe older one's, i am not fussed about ejectors or double triggers,

What he's getting at here is the lightweight model is called the UltraLight. I don't believe there is a lightweight AND and Ultra lightweight one (although i could be wrong). :blink:

Don't forget that these lightweight models are give or take the same weight as your s/s. Maybe you just shoot better with a o/u? If you want a go with my heavy browning to see how it compares then go for it.

Don't forget that these lightweight models are give or take the same weight as your s/s. Maybe you just shoot better with a o/u? If you want a go with my heavy browning to see how it compares then go for it.

that would be nice, thanks for that,

not sure really, it just felt easy to swing and nice to shoot with,

And that's what counts. <_<

My browning is heavy but i find it well balanced in my shoulder, on sporting clays where i don't often need a quick swing its ideal for me so i don't tend to fling it about. Never used on pigeons as you know so not sure how well it handle. But maybe you'll just like it for being an O/U, maybe not! :good: As everyone always says, try lots of guns/types, especially if it's going to cost a few quid.

What about a 20 gauge Silver Pigeon?

I looked at the ultralight / ultralight deluxe in 12 gauge and was swayed away by a couple of very experienced guys that shoot a lot of pigeons that had bought them only to find the novelty soon wore off.

In the end I went for a 20 gauge silver pigeon which seems to kill pigeon and pheasant just as well as my 12 gauge guns - in fact, if you are eating them it probably kills them "better" <_<

Have had a go of the ultralight and what you lose in weight you more than make up in felt recoil - I'm a big fat bloater with loads of padding but an ultralight kicked significantly with 32 6's in it.

The reduced weight is only a pound and a bit - Not entirely sure it makes sense to change down

that would be nice, thanks for that,

You are welcome to try my F3 as well.

It is not really the weight that makes a difference it is the balance of the gun.