Why do .22lr ricochet ????

It's because they're not fragile enough at the kind of speeds they travel at, to break-up on impact. The result is that they remain as a relatively intact chunk of metal. Once it impacts - say on a stone - It's deformed, and whizzes off at an angle creating the ricochet noise.

Whereas a .22-250 ballistic-tipped bullet travelling at 3500 - 4000 fps will pretty much vapourise on impact. It turns bunnies inside out, and not enough of a large particle left to ricochet.

Surely that would mean 3 pieces of lead ricocheting through the air, or am I being thick?

:rolleyes: Yup :)

Each of the three segments will weigh something like a third of the weight of an intact one - and neither of them will have a good aerodynamic profile. It's also reasonable to assume that not all three would go skywards.

Its the nose design. The hollow point in the front only causes the bullet to mushroom up if it hits something full on. A sideways or glancing hit on a stone only causes the hollow point to close up.

Strangely, I was at the NSRA meeting at Bisley this year for three days. There were thousands of rounds of .22 fired yet I never heard a single richocet.

Its the nose design. The hollow point in the front only causes the bullet to mushroom up if it hits something full on. A sideways or glancing hit on a stone only causes the hollow point to close up.

Strangely, I was at the NSRA meeting at Bisley this year for three days. There were thousands of rounds of .22 fired yet I never heard a single richocet.

For ten years I was a chief range warden on a military range where countless thousands of 5.56 were put down which we know aren't supposed to ricochet but THEY were a regular daily occurance.

But that is because of the bullet catcher design and linatex curtain, not because the bullet design. I have shot solid nosed ammo in the field and it still bounces around.

It is because it is a large lump of lead moving slowly, it bounces of things rather than deform and transfer it's energy.

Another daft question- does anyone know of any horror stories where the bullet ricochet back towards them and done any damage. What sort of speeds would a rebound be travelling at if it bounced back at 50 yards (for example) and how dangerous is it? :devil:

It's because they're not fragile enough at the kind of speeds they travel at, to break-up on impact. The result is that they remain as a relatively intact chunk of metal. Once it impacts - say on a stone - It's deformed, and whizzes off at an angle creating the ricochet noise.

Whereas a .22-250 ballistic-tipped bullet travelling at 3500 - 4000 fps will pretty much vapourise on impact. It turns bunnies inside out, and not enough of a large particle left to ricochet.

i agree rob. havve you ever had the 22/250 ricochet ! me and my mate nick had one wizz off once. it was in a safe area but the noise was super scary its like a 22lr one but its still supersonic :devil: very scary indeed

i agree rob. havve you ever had the 22/250 ricochet ! me and my mate nick had one wizz off once. it was in a safe area but the noise was super scary its like a 22lr one but its still supersonic :devil: very scary indeed

Never had a 22-250 bounce yet ! but maybe that's cos i never miss the target :blink:

I have just stopped using the .22lr cos the bullets just zing all over and most of the places i shoot are big open spaces and shooting at distance is easier than getting in .22 range.

I was out in the fields 2 days ago with the .22.

On a clay field with a gentle rise.

It was VERY wet and soggy.

I shot at a couple of crows which were about 40 yds away and the field behind rose well above the line of fire. I was astonished to hear a ricochet singing off into the distance.

I was convinced the round would bury itself into the mire, should the unthinkable happen and I actually MISSED; but no: it skipped away in song. This is a field with very little stone in it.

A lesson indeed.

I wonder if hollow-points are worse and tumble more on impact.

FG

But that is because of the bullet catcher design and linatex curtain, not because the bullet design. I have shot solid nosed ammo in the field and it still bounces around.

It is because it is a large lump of lead moving slowly, it bounces of things rather than deform and transfer it's energy.

I was talking about the 100yds setup on the Century Range where the bullets don't even hit the normal earth bank. they go into the gently rising ground thats sloping up to cover the butts. I was ROing for three days and very tuned in to anything abnormal yet I didn't hear one richochet. Thousands of shots were put down.

Many times watching shooting videos on youtube I have seen shooters take shots with a .22 (presumably) that I would never take. Rabbits in hedges etc where you can't see whats beyond etc. Lamping is another example of often shooting blind, If you take shots like that then you will get richocets but if the ground behind your shot really is good then it shouldn't happen that often. I have to say, and I realise it might offend some, I don't think in the heat of the moment to get the rabbit some shooters are as careful as they should be.

Edited by Vince Green

I would say this is an impossibility with lead bullets.

The only way it would work would be with hard steel ball bearings shot at a solid lump of tool steel.

Look up coefficient of restitution.

FG

Another daft question- does anyone know of any horror stories where the bullet ricochet back towards them and done any damage. What sort of speeds would a rebound be travelling at if it bounced back at 50 yards (for example) and how dangerous is it? :devil:

I would say this is an impossibility with lead bullets.

The only way it would work would be with hard steel ball bearings shot at a solid lump of tool steel.

Look up coefficient of restitution.

FG

what, richocheting back towards the firer? believe me it isnt an impossibility, its happened me a couple of times, luckily not right into me but close enough!

In general a lead bullet is not elastic in the same way as a tennis ball or golf ball would be so they only deflect and change direction as a glancing blow. Bullets that come back at you are nomally "thrown" back by something springy like a branch or a steel plate.

People used to shooting on indoor ranges with steel plate catchers will experience splatter from time to time but bullets can't change direction by 360 degrees, its against the laws of physics.

Edited by Vince Green

I got a .22 air rifle pellet(luckilly) past my ear shooting at a railway sleeper. I suppose that .50 cal ricochet parting the blokes hair on Youtube says it all?