Best Woody Dish to impress the Wife?

Cosd

When I met my wife many moons ago, she was very limited in what she liked to eat.

Over the years her tastes have changed, for example she would never touch any type of fish before we met, and would only eat prawns; Now she likes her fish and will eat any shell fish also.

So back to my original question. My wife has only tried pigeon once which was cooked on the BBQ plain and she wasn't fond of it, that was a long time ago.

On the weekend she actually asked me if I could come up with a recipe so she could try one.

I know there are many recipe's on the forum, but which one should I try to impress here with?

I don't think I will get another chance if she doesn't like it again!!!

For an appetiser.....

take 4 pigeon breasts, cut a pocket into them and fill with either pate, cream cheese or black pudding or haggis... you get the drift....lol

then wrap in streaky bacon until completly covered then cook in a moderate oven until the bacon is crispy, you should then find the pigeon is cooked to perfection.

yummy then eat either hot or cold. :angry:

shaun

I had pigeon breast at a restaurant a while back and it was awesome, flash fried it came out looking and tasting a lot like beef I'd never really thought about cooking it rare but it tastes awesome. Mine was on a bed of mash with some chickpea and lentil creation on top.

Rick Steins pigeon with peas.its in his food heros book superb :blink: :blink:

Thanks for that Stour-boy, I've seen Rick Stein do that dish on Saturday Kitchen and it looked absobloodylutely delicious. Trouble was I couldn't find the recipe anywhere, I remember looking on the Saturday Kitchen website and it said they couldn't put Rick Stein's recipes on because of copyright issues. The wife has got one or two of R S's cookbooks, well we've got a couple of wonky legs on the kitchen table :hmm:, but not Food Hero's, I'll be on Amazon in a minute.

Cheers

Mr Potter

Mark Gilchrist said that "...pigeon should taste like fillet steak not kidney..." or something like that. I think that my pigeon dishes have been overcooked, :|

Will have to try the pan method and let it relax. Problem is my shooting partner and my wife don't like to eat the pigeon when it is pink and this is why it tastes a bit like kidney.

I had pigeon breast at a restaurant a while back and it was awesome, flash fried it came out looking and tasting a lot like beef I'd never really thought about cooking it rare but it tastes awesome. Mine was on a bed of mash with some chickpea and lentil creation on top.

Any time we're out and pigeon's on the menu I have it to see how it should be cooked.

In the Tower in Edinburgh it was defintiely overcooked, it was the same strong liver/kidney

flavour that I've had a couple of times.

Last week we went to The Glasshouse in Musselburgh and it was absolutely delicious. It was

pan fried but sliced quite thin and almost marbled in the middle. I don't know if they sliced it before

letting it rest somewhere warm so the centre wasn't quite as pink as it can be, but it was perfect.

Nial.

Rick Steins pigeon with peas.its in his food heros book superb ??? :unsure:

This isn`t RS`s recipe :o his has 12 mushies, the recipe in the book doesn`t list onions and he uses pigeon, this is for Woodpigeon, so no copyright issues at all :blush:

Serves 4

1 tbspn Olive oil

2 onions finely chopped

11 Button mushrooms

4oz Chopped streaky bacon

2 Cloves garlic, sliced finely

8 Woodpigeon breasts

2 Tbspn Brandy

175ml red wine

175ml Chicken(or woodpigeon) stock

Bay leaf & sprig of thyme

1 Tbspn Beurre manie(equal quantities of flour and butter well mixed together)

12oz Petit pois peas

Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan and fry the onions until golden then add the bacon and garlic. Fry until the bacon is golden and then add the Woodpigeon breasts and season well. Let the breasts cook for 1 minute each side.

Increase the heat, stand with the pan at arms length, pour in the Brandy and tip the pan slightly to set it ablaze. Add the wine and bubble for 3-4 minutes then add the hot stock and herbs , simmer for a further 2-3 minutes.

remove the herbs if you wish.

Stir in the beurre manie a few crumbs at a time, you really need to keep it stirring all the time. Simmer for a further 2 mins then add the peas and continue to simmer for 3-4 minutes.

serve with whatever you fancy !!